Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MD-88 vs. Boeing 717

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:13 am
Original Poster

MD-88 vs. Boeing 717

Flying from ATL to CHI, to attend a conference, in first class (connecting from an intl. biz class flight), could fly MD-88 to ORD or 717 to MDW. Have looked into pros/cons of the two airports, which seems the primary consideration, but wondered if the differences between the two aircraft should play a role. My initial impression is no, not much at all. MD-88 is, I gather, an older aircraft (have experienced it mainly with AA), but the 717s Delta has apparently are former Air Trans planes, bought from Southwest and refurbished. 717 just slightly smaller. Neither one has IFE.

At this point leaning towards the 717 to MDW. Total cost is the same and schedules quite close.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I fly the MD-88 a lot. It's fine, and first class is no issue. Would be FAR down my list of things to decide on.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by orca15
Would be FAR down my list of things to decide on.
Agreed.

Also, the DL 717 hasn't been in service very long. The first flight was scheduled for some point this month, and I don't imagine a ton of people on this board will have had an experience yet.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL
They are essentially the same plane, I wouldn't worry at all about the difference between them any more than the difference between a MD-88 and a MD-90. Go for airport preference, IMO.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:49 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I really like the feel of the MD-88/90 up front. It's quiet, with the engines in the back, which would be the same for the B717. OTOH, since the B717s are new, and I haven't been on one yet, that would be a cool thing for me, as a semi airplane buff.

That said, MDW is substantially closer to downtown Chicago, if that's where you're headed. If you're taking the CTA train in, the train ride is a little bit longer from ORD (& $5 compared to $2.25 from MDW). Although I've never used a taxi or limo there, I'd certainly think that I'd rather use MDW, as I have seen some NASTY traffic on I-90 riding in from ORD on the Blue Line.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
IMHO, the only thing that matters here is MDW vs. ORD and MDW wins that battle every time.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
MD-88 vs. Boeing 717

Agree with above re: ORD v. MDW. Definitely would take MDW. Plus the 717 offers a smaller F cabin, so perhaps more personalized service.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Glb, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
Avoid 3B in the 717

I prefer MDW over ORD for downtown. If you fly the 717, avoid 3B. The flight attendants seem incapable of avoiding bumping into it with the cart or their person. Could be a small space to make the slight turn, I don't know. I was routinely bumped throughout the flight from Newark. Not fun.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
MDW usually has a unique approach, as there are buildings all around the airport and it's kind of a fun landing... But ORD has a sky club for when you're ready to leave. If I was heading in to the city, MDW is better and closer. Also, both are $2.25 by rail, but I'm guessing if you're flying F, connecting from an international BE ticket, the train isn't quite your thing...
Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:18 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by davetravels
from ORD (& $5 compared to $2.25 from MDW).
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Also, both are $2.25 by rail
I hate to tell'ya, but, the CTA fare departing ORD went up to $5.00 a while back. It peeved me a little bit, when I first found out.

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel...e_quicklinks=1

A quote from the above link:

'L' train fare $2.25*

* Applies at all train stations except O’Hare (where a premium fare applies)

'L' train fare from O'Hare Deducted on entry at O'Hare station, only, if paying from Ventra Transit Account pay-per-use value, Chicago Cards, Transit Cards. $5
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: DL
I don't know about the 717, but the MD-88 has no pre-flight drink service, at least on ORD-ATL. You actually have to wait around a while for them to pull the carts out for econ before you can get anything. I flew this yesterday on an 88 and it was probably 30 minutes out of the gate before I was offered anything.

Both should have 110 in FC if you're worried about a dead laptop or something. The 717 holds ~40 less pax so you should board a bit faster.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I couldn't care less about the aircraft, but would do just about anything to avoid ORD when my final destination is downtown. MDW wins every time.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paul21
I don't know about the 717, but the MD-88 has no pre-flight drink service, at least on ORD-ATL. You actually have to wait around a while for them to pull the carts out for econ before you can get anything. I flew this yesterday on an 88 and it was probably 30 minutes out of the gate before I was offered anything.
Must be something unique to that route or the FA's. I'm on MD88's a bit flying between PVD and ATL (either way) and regularly get pre-flight drink service.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG, Hilton, Starwood
717 on ATL good news!

I'll be looking forward to seeing a 717 on what's become a regular route for me between ATL-MDW, instead of the usual A320 and occasional A319. It looks like 717s start showing up on the schedule 4 of the 7 weekday flights on that route on Apr. 1.

IFE shouldn't be too much of an issue. It's usually less than 90 minutes in the air on that trip. The last two times I've done it, the FAs didn't even finish beverage service before it was time to sit down again.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.