Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are SkyClub agents not as empowered as other airline's club agents?

Old Nov 28, 13, 8:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

I don't fly DL regularly but sometimes I will buy a DL F ticket that is well-priced that fits my needs better than the corresponding AA itinerary. Several months ago though I was in Y and wanted a seat change from one Econ Comfort seat to another. Was sent my the SkyClub to the gate (luckily right downstairs) to get it changed. Was really surprised they couldn't do that there.

Yesterday, was traveling on a First ticket (G class) through ATL to the Northeast. Massive delays out of ATL. Traveling with carry on luggage, I arrived in ATL - checked to see if there were seats on an earlier flight (it was showing F5 and even G1). Went to SkyClub for what I thought would be a 30 second transaction and a new boarding pass. On US or AA (can't speak to the new UA and their club agents), this would have been what transpired. Instead, I was told that the flight was under gate control and "closed out" (more than 2 hours out from the revised departure time) and sent to the gate. I was shocked. This is what club agents are there for - to process changes and handle issues to spare both overworked GAs and to allow passengers a one stop shop for just about anything.

Of course, the GA claimed he hadn't even logged into the flight yet and had no interest in helping me (there was another flight before my flight but he was doing nothing for that flight which was still well out from boarding) and said it would cost me $50 anyways (as if he just assumed that would get me to drop it) and told me my F ticket was in fact a coach ticket with an upgrade (yes, I understand -UP fares but if I hit First on Delta.com, its an F ticket to me - not necessarily refundable/flexible - but an F ticket - 99.9% of travelers would think the same - and when flights are delayed 3+ hours, I expect it to be changed to an earlier flight no questions asked) and sent me to Customer Service.

Customer Service did what I expected the Club to do in the first place, hit two keys and printed out an F BP on the flight I wanted with a smile. But all in all a very poor showing by DL. So my question, are DL SkyClub agents always so unwilling to help or not empowered to do so? Or have I just gotten two bad experiences in a row.
Old Nov 28, 13, 8:45 am

Programs: DL-PM. AA,QF,UA. Every imaginable hotel program, but use Hotwire and Priceline whenever possible!
I have always had positive experiences with the SC agents.
Old Nov 28, 13, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta PM/2.9 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I've had this situation too--for some reason the agents in the clubs can't do anything for you within 60 minutes of flight departure, and you have to go to the gate to try to get helped.

The agents in the club have, over the years, been outstanding and have come up with things like free hotel rooms and meal vouchers, as well as confirmed upgrades to F on next morning flights. Over the long haul, the club agents will help you, and their help will be invaluable.
Old Nov 28, 13, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
At T-60, DL rightly wants only one person (or a couple of people working together) at the gate, controlling seats.

You can always ask the SC agent to call the gate and ask the gate to handle your issue.

But, as you can imagine, at the very moment when a GA is trying to seat a family together, an unwitting agent somewhere else upsets careful movements and the whole thing falls apart.
Old Nov 28, 13, 12:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Two disagreements:

(1) I get the whole thing about streamlining processing to the GA at a certain point. But booking onto a flight with positive inventory is a different story. I have never on another airline been told to see a GA to switch to positive inventory. Generally, GA's try to push that away.

(2) The T-60 should at least be adjusted to revised departure times. Based on that I was at T-120 and the GA was still assigned to a prior flight.
Old Nov 28, 13, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
These are the times that I truly love the DM phone line. Even when a GA says a flight is full, and I see EF says otherwise,... One call usually does it all
Old Nov 28, 13, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
It sounds like that yesterday being the one of the busiest days of travel and weather messing up travel plans, sounds like the flight was way oversold in Y. My guess is that they were simply instructed to not move anyone to that flight as I'm sure the standby list was pretty deep and you were just one more to the pile.

Having said that, I agree with you to a point. I find that AAngels can process upgrades, make seat assignment changes, and take care of most things in the club, whereas DL usually can only call the gate and make a request, especially if it's within an hour of scheduled departure. But I have also found that the DL gate agents, with the exception of DTW, will simply take care of it and I get a new boarding pass or whatever request was queried.
Old Nov 28, 13, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
SC agents should have full access like DM agents. Sometimes even more when things are under airport control. When GA's take gate control, only GA's can do things at the gate.

Your best person with the most power is always a redcoat at the gate. It's amazing how fast they one time processed a VDB for me that resulted in a voucher, rebook into J on a partner, and brand new itinerary. That was done in less than 1 minute.

And yet I'm on hold for 30 minutes sometimes when agents have to "manually reissue" something.
Old Nov 28, 13, 9:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviatorzz View Post
It sounds like that yesterday being the one of the busiest days of travel and weather messing up travel plans, sounds like the flight was way oversold in Y. My guess is that they were simply instructed to not move anyone to that flight as I'm sure the standby list was pretty deep and you were just one more to the pile.

Having said that, I agree with you to a point. I find that AAngels can process upgrades, make seat assignment changes, and take care of most things in the club, whereas DL usually can only call the gate and make a request, especially if it's within an hour of scheduled departure. But I have also found that the DL gate agents, with the exception of DTW, will simply take care of it and I get a new boarding pass or whatever request was queried.
The flight wasn't oversold. It was F5 plus some Y inventory. I was on an f ticket and wanted to move to the earlier flight. No need for standby. As I mentioned the third agent did this with no problem.

One question, everyone seems to mention red coats? How does one find one? Obviously the guys in red coats but where do they hang out? Do you just approach any red coat with any problem?
Old Nov 29, 13, 4:42 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
The flight wasn't oversold. It was F5 plus some Y inventory. I was on an f ticket and wanted to move to the earlier flight. No need for standby. As I mentioned the third agent did this with no problem.

One question, everyone seems to mention red coats? How does one find one? Obviously the guys in red coats but where do they hang out? Do you just approach any red coat with any problem?
IME the SC agents are generally empowered to do everything that GA’s can do but there may be limits at certain times. You were trying to fly at one of the busiest times of the year with a long list of canceled flts. That happens, wouldn’t judge SC agents by this.

Redcoats are usually around the gates. Maybe not at each one but at most airports, nearby. They are easy to spot because they wear… red coats. And yes, you can approach them if you have issues and generally they are empowered to assist you. Again, expect limits on assistance at extreme times.

Of course, status helps in situations like this.
Old Nov 29, 13, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
I encountered a bad SC agent at MCO earlier this week on 11/27/13. I was flying MCO-CVG-MEM and I had my sister with me. I asked the SC agent to put my sister in the seat next to me on the CRJ-200 from CVG-MEM. Thea agent said she couldn't put my sister in a premium seat. I told her it was an exit row, not a premium seat and that Delta does not have premium seats on the CRJ-200. She wouldn't budge. I called the platinum line and the matter was resolved in less than 30 seconds. On the way out of the club I firmly but politely told the agent the she should check up on Delta's policies and that the phone agent had no trouble putting my sister in the seat.
Old Nov 29, 13, 7:08 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
While I agree the agent should have just moved her, for the record, the exit row (8) along with rows 1 and 2 are Preferred seats on the CRJ-200's. So you are incorrect in that regard. Medallions may chose them for free, however, non-status folks are not allowed to select them until check-in time when they are offered for purchase.

Last edited by LBJ; Nov 29, 13 at 7:16 am
Old Nov 29, 13, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
While I agree the agent should have just moved her, for the record, the exit row (8) along with rows 1 and 2 are Preferred seats on the CRJ-200's. So you are incorrect in that regard. Medallions may chose them for free, however, non-status folks are not allowed to select them until check-in time when they are offered for purchase.
I suppose I am technically wrong. But there is no extra leg room in the exit row on the CRJ-200. The only reason I moved to the exit row is due to it being the only row on the aircraft with two seats available. It's dirty marketing for DL to charge extra to sit there as there is absolutely nothing special about it. Also, the only advantage I see to sitting in the bulkhead on the -200 is that you will be the first off the aircraft. I'm not complaining though, the CRJ-200 is fine for the short flights it is utilized on.
Old Nov 29, 13, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
I suppose I am technically wrong. But there is no extra leg room in the exit row on the CRJ-200. The only reason I moved to the exit row is due to it being the only row on the aircraft with two seats available. It's dirty marketing for DL to charge extra to sit there as there is absolutely nothing special about it. Also, the only advantage I see to sitting in the bulkhead on the -200 is that you will be the first off the aircraft. I'm not complaining though, the CRJ-200 is fine for the short flights it is utilized on.
1BC are the only tolerable seats on a CR2, as there's enough room to stretch your feet into the aisle/galley. Why anyone would want 1A or 1D is beyond me, however.
Old Nov 29, 13, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
But there is no extra leg room in the exit row on the CRJ-200. The only reason I moved to the exit row is due to it being the only row on the aircraft with two seats available. It's dirty marketing for DL to charge extra to sit there as there is absolutely nothing special about it.
The CRJ-200 exit row is worse than "nothing special": the seat cushions are "low profile" (i.e., more uncomfortable) to allow extra clearance for removing the emergency exit door. Delta should give passengers a rebate for sitting in those dreadful seats.

Also, the only advantage I see to sitting in the bulkhead on the -200 is that you will be the first off the aircraft.
As others have mentioned, passengers in seats 1B and 1C can extend their legs into the galley.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: