Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northeast Winter Waiver posted

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
chance of thanksgiving weather advisory?

Looking at snow/rain all across the east coast on Tuesday/Wednesday. Anyone willing to bet we're going to see a waiver in place soon?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Eek.... What cities are you imagining to be affected? I think it has to be pretty bad for them to throw the waiver up, especially this soon. Maybe tomorrow if the weather forecast says something terrible is on the horizon.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

looks like the storm that's rolling through Dallas now is going to be squarely over ATL on Tuesday and heading up the coast late Tuesday night into Wednesday.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:33 pm
Suspended

The scaremongering is always highest at the start of the season. For now, a bit of rain is predicted in the Northeast.
Also note how they cleverly use wording to scare people the most: "Millions to Face Thanksgiving Travel Delays From Atlanta to NYC"

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...elays/20219808

Last time I checked, Thanksgiving is on Thursday while the so-called "monster storm" is predicted to be in the Northeast on Tuesday and leave Wednesday morning.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Nov 24, 2013 at 1:39 pm
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Meh we'll see. If the storm stayed around Atlanta for Wednesday that could really wreak some havoc.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Thanksgiving holiday has been growing in length with more folks taking the entire week or more off from school or work every year. What was once a four day holiday weekend is now often a period of nine or more days when not much can happen at work or school.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL PM
And Thanksgiving travel implies the day or two before the actual holiday.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
I'm flying from BNA to ATL then onto home (SAN) early Wed. morning. I sure hope I can make it home.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Flying RDU-ATL-BOS on Tuesday, hopefully not too many delays - waiver would help though just in case things get bad

also side note- booked this ticket pre-new SDC policies. IIRC, the post from DwayneSkyMiles at the time mentioned that old tickets would be grandfathered in, any chance I can get them to do that for me?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Seems to me that it would be a good idea. If someone wanted to leave a day early and seats were available, can't imagine that it wouldn't be a good thing for the airline to accommodate them in order to reduce the stress on the system when/if weather becomes a true factor.

If you have one day of major delays and/or cancellations this week (regardless of which day), it will roll large loads forward and encroach upon Thanksgiving itself. This will produce the inevitable TV news sob stories about being stranded in an airport, missing Thanksgiving, "airline won't give me a hotel room because they say it was weather," etc.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
NO bet here, sound business move IMHO
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The scaremongering is always highest at the start of the season.
And the Delta meteorologists generally don't give in to it.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Flying RDU-ATL-BOS on Tuesday, hopefully not too many delays - waiver would help though just in case things get bad

also side note- booked this ticket pre-new SDC policies. IIRC, the post from DwayneSkyMiles at the time mentioned that old tickets would be grandfathered in, any chance I can get them to do that for me?
The old SDC rules were specified in the fare rules that you bought, so it's not so much as DL being nice and "grandfathering" old tickets, rather it is DL honoring the contract they wrote (the fare rules).

If you are really interested, look up your fare code using a tool that provides access to historical fares, such as EF has. You'll need your fare basis code to find the exact fare you bought, but really any fare rule valid for your date of ticket purchase should have the same rules.

I use the phrase "really interested" because the above is probably not worth the bother.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

well, called and changed to a later flight that worked better for no fee! could have helped that I was on an A fare.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'm connecting in CVG on 11/27 and 12/02 and so far the weather looks fine there. No way I would set foot in ATL during the Thanksgiving rush. It's bad enough connecting there on a normal day without all of the once a year travelers wandering around like goldfish that you encounter during the holidays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.