Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China's New Air Defense Zone - What will DL Do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

According to several media reports Red China has created a new Air Defense Zone over much of the East China Sea. They are demanding all air traffic file with the Chinese aviation authorities and obey Chinese air traffic control. This is part of the ongoing dispute between China and Japan (and little bit of Korea too).

http://www.japantoday.com/category/p...-over-air-zone

According to the report the US military is NOT recognizing the area:

When we fly into this aerial zone, we will not register a flight plan, we will not identify our transponder, our radio frequency and our logo. Those are the four things the Chinese have publicly said are a requirement
http://www.japantoday.com/category/n...r-zone-created

Reports here show that SQ and QF will comply with China, KE will file plans but not change it's routes. NH and JL appear to be giving them the middle finger.

No word on DL yet. I would assume several intra-asia routes (SIN, MNL, etc.) have the potential for diversions and hassles.

While China said the new rules would not affect “normal operations” for international flights, it added that it would take “defensive emergency measures” against aircraft that failed to identify themselves properly.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
I'd hope that DL complies with the new regulations. The legitimacy of the new ADIZ may be in question but since Delta has no political stake in this, I'd hope they err on the side of not getting shot down.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
It's an Air Defense Identification Zone. Just like many countries have, including the US.

It's also a governmental issue so I'll put money on Delta simply complying, mainly just to go along to get along.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
It's an Air Defense Identification Zone. Just like many countries have, including the US.

It's also a governmental issue so I'll put money on Delta simply complying, mainly just to go along to get along.
I think it's a bit more complicated than that since China is asserting they have the right to direct air traffic in areas currently controlled by Japan and Korea. Is you comply with one gov't then you are in the position to not comply with another gov't.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by motytrah
I think it's a bit more complicated than that since China is asserting they have the right to direct air traffic in areas currently controlled by Japan and Korea. Is you comply with one gov't then you are in the position to not comply with another gov't.
Good point.

Someone posted in another forum on FT that since the USA government isn't recognizing the expanded zone, USA carriers are being told not to comply.

Scary....and less news about this in Asia than I would hope.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 25, 2013 at 10:27 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Indeed this is quite the complicated matter. The chest thumping over the senkaku/diaoyu islands has hit a new fever pitch. Of note, the US used to administer these islands before handing them over to the Japanese
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Indeed this is quite the complicated matter. The chest thumping over the senkaku/diaoyu islands has hit a new fever pitch. Of note, the US used to administer these islands before handing them over to the Japanese
Anyway, from my knowledge, JAL and ANA decide to comply new China rules. From this case, I believe that AA and DL will immediately comply with this new rule even though U.S air force did not recognize this new ADIZ.

By setting this new zone, I found that new Chinese leadership are harsher than their processor, especially new president Xi Jinping. I have talked with a South Korea born political science professor about Chinese new ADIZ, he asserts that even though Japan is looking very tough toward China, but Japan have no interest to have a war with China and their current tough posture is backing from U.S.

Ironically, when Japan's confidence is coming from U.S, but they do not want U.S get involved at all. By creating a lot of mess in Iraq and Afghanistan, Obama and Chuck Hagel want to withdraw all forces as soon as possible. However, hawks still want a expansion with low cost globally. So, East Asia is a new area they want to expand...
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Platinum New Name: KeepClimbingEd
Originally Posted by motytrah
According to several media reports Red China...
"Red China"? What is that??
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold, IHG Gold
old people call it red china..
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks, this is not a DL specific topic and is already being discussed elsewhere on FT. Also as evidenced by just a few posts already made this is turning into a political discussion. Based on the above I am closing this one down.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.