Wiki Posts
Search

where to meet DL 178 in AMS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
where to meet DL 178 in AMS

My parents are coming in PDX-AMS, and I'm on an EasyJet flight (the horror!) arriving about the same time. I'm a Schengen arrival; they obviously are not. Any ideas where we can meet?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
You didn't say whether you are meeting your parents and then all connecting to another intra-Euro flight, or if AMS is your final destination. Assuming the latter, there's a great big Meeting Point sign in the Schiphol Plaza, near the train station. My suggestion is for your parents to clear customs and immigration and meet you there. AMS has free wifi now, so your parents can let you know their progress through the immigration lines while you sit at a cafe near the meeting point...
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, Starwood platinum, Hilton diamond
yes, the Meeting Place is perfect, you can't miss it and there are signs telling you how to get there, all over the airport.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:45 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
If they are clearing immigration, for a stay in Amsterdam.....

I always meet people at the Starbucks in Schiphol plaza (which is near the Burger King and Police Office). I find this is a relatively easy landmark. It's also right near where you would by train tickets (or ov-chipkaarts) if applicable.

There usually a quite a few tables, so I just relax at Starbucks....

Of course, as my wife is clearing immigration; I often order her latte and meet her as she leaves the secure zone, coffee in hand.... yeah, sometimes, I have nothing better to do at 07:00 on a Saturday morning, than meet my wife at Schiphol; after she's been away on business for a while....

and, yes, this Starbucks takes American Express (unlike many in Amsterdam).
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all! Sorry for leaving out the crucial detail that we are indeed staying in Amsterdam, not connecting on to another flight.

I looked on the map, which makes it look like the Starbucks is quite close to the Meeting Point in Schiphol Plaza. This is perfect.

Thanks again, Collected Wisdom.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Enjoy Amsterdam!

I'll be at Schiphol tomorrow morning..... (I feel like I say that a lot...)
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Enjoy Amsterdam!

I'll be at Schiphol tomorrow morning..... (I feel like I say that a lot...)
Thanks! I'm at AMS a lot--more than a dozen connections there this year alone--but haven't actually been into the city in years.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:04 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by ryanm
Thanks, all! Sorry for leaving out the crucial detail that we are indeed staying in Amsterdam, not connecting on to another flight.

I looked on the map, which makes it look like the Starbucks is quite close to the Meeting Point in Schiphol Plaza. This is perfect.

Thanks again, Collected Wisdom.
It seemed obvious to me that you were staying in Ansterdam, otherwise you would have met at the connecting gate . In any case you got some good options.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Another possibility (one which I've used successfully at other European airports) is to meet in the car rental area. It's always well posted, and usually less congested than the central meeting point.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you'll be taking the train to Amsterdam, you could meet near the ticket counters and ticket machines. That way the first to arrive can purchase train tickets so that you're ready to go.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for these new replies. We'll be taking a cab, as my parents are (irrationally) afraid of getting their luggage on and off a train. I think the other thing that's good about the Meeting Point/Starbucks combo is that my dad can't stand for a long time, so on the off chance they get there first he can sit at the Starbucks. (These are the same elderly parents that are the subject of my MUC-ATL-PDX thread.)

Thanks to all for the replies to both of these threads. This is probably my parents' last trip to Europe, which is bittersweet to say the least. I depleted my miles getting them mid-level award tickets, and feel bad I couldn't get them into J at least on the inbound. I also feel horrible I can't go with them from MUC-ATL-PDX to help with that connection. But the advice I've gotten here goes a long way towards smoothing some of the edges, and I'm immensely grateful.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ryanm
Thanks for these new replies. We'll be taking a cab, as my parents are (irrationally) afraid of getting their luggage on and off a train.
UBER works relatively well in Amsterdam.

Depending on your hotel, the bus (#197) is often easier than the train (since the train usually requires a 2nd form of transportation after arrival at Centraal or Zuid).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.