Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tenative: Final DC-9-50 Flight: Mon 1/6/14 ATL-MKE-DTW-MSP-ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by bubbashow
...actually, the last official DL comment on this string said "wait for the upcoming schedule change". You can change to a new flight, minus a $150 change fee, and of course, any fare difference.
Ok, thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:06 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptKornDog

A statement would certainly be the least they can do (not to mention full refunds of miles and cash if true). Seeing as this was acknowledged and (possibly now falsely) advertised as the last flight.

I'm currently not bailing out.

...actually, the last official DL comment on this string said "wait for the upcoming schedule change". You can change to a new flight, minus a $150 change fee, and of course, any fare difference.
That's true that their last statement on here said wait for a schedule change.

Although, they sent out a press release and announced that the last scheduled commercial flight is 2014.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
DL has charged you change fees? :P

I think the issue here is that no one will bail given the uncertainty. These are officially the final DC-9 flights, at this point. It would be annoying if there were more DC-9 flights due to late 717 deliveries. It would be even more annoying, if the "official" final fight date were to change-- but that seems unlikely.

Some of us, not having unlimited travel budgets, have also had to work to schedule around this, including scheduling meetings ... FWIW. It's not the end of the world, the sky is not falling, but it would be nice, if we had official DL clarification, sometime soon

Else, see y'all in Detroit on Monday, ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited by kthomas; Jan 3, 2014 at 2:23 pm Reason: // spelling, phrasing
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Not to mention annoying for our fellow FT member who won the auction for the tickets for what was described as the last flight!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:24 pm

Not to mention annoying for our fellow FT member who won the auction for the tickets for what was described as the last flight!
Did you say 22K miles? Lord, my wallet is feeling empty at the moment.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
Turned On the DM Signal

I will let you all know if I hear back. I've turned on the DM signal (Think Bat signal, but with DYKWIA as the projected element). Hopefully all of my positive KARMA with being a nice DM will pay off with some form of affirmative answer.

Stay Tuned.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by kthomas
*shrug* glad you aren't sweating it then. That'd be a lot for me.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
My last DC-9 flight (2230 from DTW to MKE on ship 9861, N770NC) will depart in about 30 minutes. I just talked to the captain, who confirmed that some DC-9 time has been added to the schedule for an additional two weeks.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:05 pm

*shrug* glad you aren't sweating it then. That'd be a lot for me.
22K miles are arguably worth about $300 if that. Booking onto 1965 alone cost $665 recently, if possible (I was unable to get a confirmed seat, "seating not available" when booking). FWIW.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by cydrone
My last DC-9 flight (2230 from DTW to MKE on ship 9861, N770NC) will depart in about 30 minutes. I just talked to the captain, who confirmed that some DC-9 time has been added to the schedule for an additional two weeks.
So what it sounds like at this point, is that we'll be travelling on the official decommissioning of the fleet, but some will be held before drydocking to fill in a few routes. Metaphorically speaking.

Did someone post the #s of the ships we'll be taking on Monday?

As well, are there any major Canadian or Mexican etc carriers still using DC-9s for commercial service... or can we call this the final commercial use ... in North America?

Finally: NPR reports that Monday in Minneapolis may be the coldest day recorded ever. FWIW, would be appropriate.

Last edited by kthomas; Jan 3, 2014 at 4:27 pm Reason: // Add: "As well..."; "Finally..."
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:47 pm

A friend told me that a few are sticking around to ensure a smooth operation before they fly to the desert.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:57 pm

As well, are there any major Canadian or Mexican etc carriers still using DC-9s for commercial service... or can we call this the final commercial use ... in North America?
Depends on how you define major, but from what I gather, I'd conclude final major scheduled passenger operation in the world.

Remaining DC-9s appear to be operating with:
-9 passenger/business charters
-5 cargo carriers
-5 limited-scope scheduled passenger carriers (Venezuela, Africa)
-3 military/government agencies

(certainly an approximation and not fact)
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by airwaysjack
A friend told me that a few are sticking around to ensure a smooth operation before they fly to the desert.
Makes sense. That way if the 717 goes Tango Uniform they have a spare
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: DL (former NWA) PM
Talking Other bidder

I was his only other bidder, but I already have a seat in 1D. Was just looking to bring two friends.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:42 am

Oddly, I can only get comment from Delta through unofficial channels. Here is what I have, which Jack pretty much posted above:

"[The DC9] not officially extended the aircraft will remain in ATL as a spare for a short time before it heads to the desert. No more regularly scheduled flights."

So Monday will, at minimum, be the final scheduled flight of the DC9.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.