Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tenative: Final DC-9-50 Flight: Mon 1/6/14 ATL-MKE-DTW-MSP-ATL

Old Nov 21, 13, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
I've only had 4 or 5 flights on the DC-9 as I had never been on one until after DL and NW merged. The DC-9 is a solid aircraft and I know it will have a great sendoff from those who knew the plane so well.

The saddest day for me will be the day that the MD-88 makes her last flight. I have logged more flights on the MD-88 than any other aircraft. The MD-90 and 717 are great aircraft but McDonnell-Douglas just did too good of a job in reducing the engine noise.
Old Nov 21, 13, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL peon
Originally Posted by squatch View Post
i have a friend who is a pilot. he always says that the DC9 was "perfectly engineered to turn jet fuel directly into noise".
Good one! ^^

Once upon a time, I was booked in a "window" seat in the last row on a NW DC9 flying DTW-LGA. My neighbor was a POS (6' plus and at least 250-275 pounds). I spent the flight wedged between the wall and said POS, with the noise of the adjacent JT8Ds to keep me company.
Old Nov 21, 13, 7:44 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Does anyone know the year of the bird that'll do the final flight? Many years ago, I predicted that the DC9s would be used to ferry A320 pilots back from the A320 aircraft retirement home.
Old Nov 21, 13, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
The reality is that there have been NW A320s and 757s that were returned to lessors and subsequently scrapped before any of the DC-9-50s were removed from service.
Old Nov 22, 13, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
The reality is that there have been NW A320s and 757s that were returned to lessors and subsequently scrapped before any of the DC-9-50s were removed from service.
yeah but that's because the 9's were all 100% owned...while most of the 757's and 320's were owned too there were some on lease
Old Nov 22, 13, 6:24 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
The related issue is did anyone notice when the first Delta 717 flight was?

I didn't see any fan fare (any pun intended), but have noticed one for a flight I'm looking at for next year.

Bob H
Old Nov 22, 13, 7:32 am

I was looking to fly ROC-DTW-ORD-DTW-ROC in 2 weeks for the day . They wanted over $700. No thanks. If it was a DC-10,727 or classic 747,yes. But not for a stretched '9.
Old Nov 22, 13, 8:19 am

Programs: DL GM/MM, UA Gold, AA GLD/1MM, Nat'l Exec, Marriott Gold, Vino Volo Reserve
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
I didn't see any fan fare (any pun intended), but have noticed one for a flight I'm looking at for next year.
the fanfare for that one would have been weird... introducing a 15-year-old type you just bought from the second-largest carrier at your largest hub.. "hey, look what the cat just dragged over from concourse C!"

will miss the 9's.. i've got one more DC95 flight on a HOU-ATL leg after thanksgiving... (in seat 1A, of course..)
Old Nov 22, 13, 8:24 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Delta GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond

I received some interesting feedback from a buddy who is a pilot with Delta. Apparently some of the DC 9 pilots are having a hard time transitioning to other aircraft. At the heart of the issue is going from gauges to glass cockpit. I didn't think about that at first, but could see how the transition could take some time.
Old Nov 22, 13, 8:40 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Well, I may have jumped the gun, but I went ahead and booked a seat on Flight 721 (currently an MD88) on 1/6. I figure they'll switch me to flight 2014 when the new schedule loads this weekend. They're still selling X fares on this flight for $159 and I suspect those are going to sell out quickly once flight 2014 actually loads. I sure hope the electronic schedule is actually correct.

Last edited by LBJ; Nov 22, 13 at 8:59 am
Old Nov 22, 13, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
The related issue is did anyone notice when the first Delta 717 flight was?

The first Delta 717 flew ATL-EWR in September. So far as I know, the fanfare was limited to a Facebook post from corporate.
Old Nov 22, 13, 7:10 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The updated schedule load appears to be underway. However, flight 2014 isn't showing up yet.
Old Nov 22, 13, 9:25 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Well, I may have jumped the gun, but I went ahead and booked a seat on Flight 721 (currently an MD88) on 1/6. I figure they'll switch me to flight 2014 when the new schedule loads this weekend. They're still selling X fares on this flight for $159 and I suspect those are going to sell out quickly once flight 2014 actually loads. I sure hope the electronic schedule is actually correct.
I don't think you jumped the gun at all. Appears that they are not even selling seats on that DL2014 flight. If they force you to a different flight time, you can request a refund since it would be a 2 hour schedule change.
Old Nov 22, 13, 9:46 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti View Post
I don't think you jumped the gun at all. Appears that they are not even selling seats on that DL2014 flight. If they force you to a different flight time, you can request a refund since it would be a 2 hour schedule change.
I suspect the flight will be available eventually when it gets loaded. Right now, the system is showing no flights at all between DTW and MKE on 1/6 which obviously has to change.
Old Nov 23, 13, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by fti View Post
It'll be interesting to see if they even sell tickets on the last two DC9 flights to the public -- they show on my desktop schedule, but not as being available for purchase on line -- the other flights between the city pairs do show as being available.

Bob H

Search this Thread
Search Engine: