DL to "help" competition at ATL

Old Nov 18, 13, 4:09 pm
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, AmEx Plat, Hertz can go to hell

http://wabe.org/post/delta-offers-he...sfield-jackson

I can see it now: "[Competitor airline], we've got your baaack."
Old Nov 18, 13, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by Chalky White View Post

Interesting to say the least.
Old Nov 18, 13, 7:18 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
They are going to let them in , and then crush them
Old Nov 18, 13, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM (MM), SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, LH Never Ever Again!
This a curious development I and some friends are following. I live as far east of Atlanta as this Silver Comet Field is west of Atlanta so it would never be of practical use for me. It's fun though to guess what they might be up to as far as wooing new service. Allegiant Air is what one DL pilot friend of mine is guessing. It fits their current practice.

AHN is in my area and offers flights daily, sometimes twice daily, to BNA on a 9 seat Cessna Caravan flown by SeaPort Airlines. AHN is not really a relief airport for ATL. PDK and Gwinnett County are often discussed as "ideal" to relieve ATL but no locals want to see that happen.

Delta will be the voice of opposition on this for sure. They don't take lightly the fortress they've built here and have long been anti anything significant at AHN. I have to assume the same will be the case for Paulding/NW Atlanta/Silver Comet Field as well.

We shall see...
Old Nov 18, 13, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Argenta
"Propeller Investments" -- that name rings a bell. Weren't they trying to convince the Gwinnett County Commision to begin passenger service at LZU (Lawrenceville) a year or two ago?
Old Nov 18, 13, 9:08 pm
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, AmEx Plat, Hertz can go to hell
I call it Hartsfield. From when I first started flying, that's what I knew it as.

And yes, I think you're right about Propeller being the group that wanted to start flights out of Lawrenceville.

I don't see why we need another airport in ATL. FL/WN is in the process of giving up a lot of gates in the D concourse--coud ATL not just lease those out on the cheap to lure in new carriers? I'd love to see JetBlue or Virgin America fly here.
Old Nov 19, 13, 7:54 am

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
Old Nov 20, 13, 3:01 am

This has been going on since 1975. The city of Atlanta purchased 10,165 acres of land in Paulding County in 1975 for $925 per acre in order to build a second Atlanta Airport instead of enlarging the current one. Paulding County purchased 162 of those acres in 2007 in order to build the current airport.
Old Nov 20, 13, 6:51 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Propeller is the same group that launched the failed bid in Lawrenceville. Allegant would be the only airline that would fit the situiation. Maybe it is Ryanair that is thinking about starting flying from is Paris airport (Beauvais) about 1 hour away to Atlanta!
Old Nov 20, 13, 9:10 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks, I have deleted a large number of "OFF TOPIC" posts. We all know what the subject of this thread is, so it would be greatly appreciated by the moderators if you stay on topic.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Nov 20, 13, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Why does Delta seek to manipulate the marketplace?

Washington DC has 3 fine airports within a 30 mile radius; New York has 3, and Chicago has 2. Why shouldn't ATL have 2?
Old Nov 20, 13, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
I don't see why we need another airport in ATL. FL/WN is in the process of giving up a lot of gates in the D concourse--coud ATL not just lease those out on the cheap to lure in new carriers? I'd love to see JetBlue or Virgin America fly here.
Jet Blue tried ATL service and it did not end well.
Old Nov 20, 13, 1:27 pm
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

When did jblu fly to Atlanta?
Old Nov 20, 13, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
When did jblu fly to Atlanta?
2003. Was to LGB and OAK. Was about the same time FL started flying to the west coast from ATL.
Old Nov 20, 13, 2:50 pm

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
2003. Was to LGB and OAK. Was about the same time FL started flying to the west coast from ATL.
Yes, JetBlue gave up after six months. They did not expect AirTran to wet lease aircraft from another carrier to fly to LAX in order to compete. Delta flooded the market with seats, AirTran had capacity, and JetBlue left. The quote that I will never forget that JetBlue made as they left Atlanta: "We could have stayed to prove a point, but we stay in markets to make money." Here's the article from 2003: http://www.travelweekly.com/print.aspx?id=69924

Search this Thread