One Flew South - the definitive thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MS02113
Keeping it classy as per usual, I see. How laughable that you should presume to relegate a complete stranger to McDonald's over an issue that has zero impact on your life.

I never said that I adjust automatically-included gratuities, downward or otherwise, so keep your disgust in check. I don't view waiters' tips as a reward for good service; I view them as a fact of life in the U.S. and have resigned myself to tipping 20% every time. Unless, of course, the establishment automatically includes some other amount.

My personal practices aside, restaurant patrons are absolutely free to disregard automatic "gratuities" and instead tip as they see fit. By definition, a gratuity is "something given without claim or demand." Some establishments lodge criminal complaints against under-tippers, but the cases are always dismissed. Hilariously (given the histrionics of your post), One Flew South's own Web site describes the automatic 18% gratuity as "suggested."

Incidentally, come January the IRS will begin classifying automatic gratuities as taxable regular wages, which means restaurants must withhold FICA taxes on them. Rather than deal with that burden, restaurants are widely expected to curtail the imposition of automatic gratuities.
I don't need a definition of gratuity. I worked in the restaurant/bar industry all throughout college and fully understand it.

However, I'm doing everything I can to not split my head wide open from banging it on the brick wall too hard . The only explanation of your posts would leave me to believe you're not originally from this country .

NOWHERE on the OFS website or menu does it say to tip less than 18%. The meaning of the print on their website regarding tips mean that 18% is the minimum (suggested) tip, therefor it's added directly to the bill - it does NOT mean "we're adding 18%, but feel free to leave less." How do you not understand that?

Last edited by BOSavi8tr; Nov 17, 2013 at 5:26 pm
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by realjd
So you're saying that your MO is to show up at 7AM for a 3PM flight and spend the day overindulging in the Gordon's gin at the SC, right?
Shhhhhh...
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by BOSavi8tr
The meaning of the print on their website regarding tips mean that 18% is the minimum (suggested) tip, therefor it's added directly to the bill - it does NOT mean "we're adding 18%, but feel free to leave less." How do you not understand that?
Link to their web site with information on tipping policy please........
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
It's in the quoted text that I responded to above.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
I don't need a definition of gratuity. I worked in the restaurant/bar industry all throughout college and fully understand it.
Except for the part where you don't seem to understand it at all.

However, I'm doing everything I can to not split my head wide open from banging it on the brick wall too hard .
Don't stop. You'll get it eventually.

I'm only explaining your posts and behavior by the fact that I assume you're not originally from this country .
You haven't "explained" any of my posts. And what "behavior" are you talking about? I told you that I always tip 20%. I'll try not to assume anything about your nationality, despite the ridiculous syntax of your sentence.

NOWHERE on the OFS website or menu does it say to tip less than 18%. The meaning of the print on their website regarding tips mean that 18% is the minimum tip, therefor it's added directly to the bill - NOT we're adding 18%, but feel free to leave less.
Why not use the word "minimum," then? "Mandatory," perhaps?

How do you not understand that?
Because that's not what "suggested" means. You're delusional.

The following page includes links to .PDF copies of OFS' menus:
http://www.oneflewsouthatl.com/foodanddrink.html

The bottom of the food menu reads as follows: "A suggested 18% gratuity is added for your convenience."
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:38 pm

Probably a dopey question, but is the 18% included in take-out orders?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:38 pm

It's in the quoted text that I responded to above.
There is nothing on the web site which leaves me to the opinion that you are making stuff up........again

Post link to prove otherwise.....
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
I've got access to a Popeye's here in Boston, though I haven't indulged in about five years. I'm really looking forward to the new Bojangle's in ATL Concourse T (has it opened yet?), since that's something I can't get outside of the Southeast. Their cajun filet biscuit is too good.
Didn't a Popeye's open in Kenmore Square in the late 80s? Dating myself, but I have a memory of taking the T down Comm Ave from BC to introduce my Yankee friends to decent fried chicken.

Back OT, I haven't tried OFS but highly recommend Ecco (on Foxtrot) or their Midtown location if you are in ATL.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:46 pm

The following page includes links to .PDF copies of OFS' menus:
http://www.oneflewsouthatl.com/foodanddrink.html

The bottom of the food menu reads as follows: "A suggested 18% gratuity is added for your convenience."
I stand corrected. Love the word suggested. I guess I don't have to worry about it though as I will never be in there for a multitude of reasons. Adding 18% for something that is based on service does not work for me either. I don't care who you are or where you have worked. You are NOT entitled to a gratuity. You earn it with good service......see sig below.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Nov 17, 2013 at 5:52 pm
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Back OT, I haven't tried OFS but highly recommend Ecco (on Foxtrot)
I'm of the opinion that they really missed out on an awesome name. I'm not a huge fan of their food in Midtown (never been to the one in F), but I have heard lots of people that think it is great (could have just been a one-off).
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Didn't a Popeye's open in Kenmore Square in the late 80s? Dating myself, but I have a memory of taking the T down Comm Ave from BC to introduce my Yankee friends to decent fried chicken.
I've only lived in Boston for five years, but the Kenmore Square location on Brookline Avenue is the one I was thinking of.

Back OT, I haven't tried OFS but highly recommend Ecco (on Foxtrot) or their Midtown location if you are in ATL.
Thanks for the tip. Despite connecting countless times in ATL, I've never had the occasion to venture into the city proper.

Nope, but nice try though........takes you to the home page.
Sorry, you've got to click "Download Menus" first on the above mentioned page. Following is the page that then loads within the inline frame:
http://www.oneflewsouthatl.com/text/menus.html

Unlike our friend BOSavi8tr, I'm not making this up.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:02 pm

Thanks for the tip. Despite connecting countless times in ATL, I've never had the occasion to venture into the city proper.
Atlanta has a surprisingly great food scene nowadays. Lots of folks are shocked when I take them around the city to such great places. My jury is still out on whether or not if I lived in a different city if I would ever intentionally make a stay in ATL. I think over the years either I have grown more and more fond of ATL, it has gotten much better overall, or a combination. I'm still pissed the Bravos are heading out to the burbs though. Always cool to take someone to the Ted during their stay, and with no need to drive from my house, it was pretty cheap. Good business decision I guess, but still disappointing to the ITPers--the true Atlantans.

Jesus, I really went on too long here...sorry bout dat.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
so does that mean they "auto-grat," and you added an additional tip? (seems strange to "auto-grat" for parties of one)
Yes, they do, I think because of the number of Asian travelers who either tip low or don't tip at all.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sky303
Probably a dopey question, but is the 18% included in take-out orders?
Haven't tried takeout from OFS yet, however that would definitely irk me if it were the case. It is applied on beverages however, and that really rubs me the wrong way. I don't have a problem tipping 18% on food but to include drinks in that I find extravagant. My usual rule is to tip $1 per drink. In a sitting at OFS I could spend less than $20 on food and more than $35 on drinks. Assuming 3 glasses of wine cost $35 (a very real possibility), that means I've spent over $6 on tips for someone to simply open the wine bottle and pour it in a glass, which to me is ridiculous.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sky303
Atlanta has a surprisingly great food scene nowadays. Lots of folks are shocked when I take them around the city to such great places. My jury is still out on whether or not if I lived in a different city if I would ever intentionally make a stay in ATL. I think over the years either I have grown more and more fond of ATL, it has gotten much better overall, or a combination. I'm still pissed the Bravos are heading out to the burbs though. Always cool to take someone to the Ted during their stay, and with no need to drive from my house, it was pretty cheap. Good business decision I guess, but still disappointing to the ITPers--the true Atlantans.

Jesus, I really went on too long here...sorry bout dat.
So do Vancouver and HK and both places IMO are much better connected to the world than ATL (and airfares out of both places IME have been cheaper on OW.)

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Nov 17, 2013 at 6:57 pm Reason: using a fair comparison

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.