KLM vs. AF in Business Class?

Old Nov 13, 13, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, HH Gold.
KLM vs. AF in Business Class?

There's been a schedule change on a flight back from Europe for me and my fiance, and I need to switch our itinerary to either KLM's Airbus A330-300 (AMS - ATL) or Air France's A340-300 (CDG - DTW).

I'm a DM, and it's a Business Class award ticket, so we have flexibility.

Any advice is appreciated!
Old Nov 13, 13, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As I see it, the major differences are the "style" or service and AMS vs CDG. Both carriers are likely to have 2-3-2 angled lie flat seats, although YMMV. AF will offer some French wines while KLM is proud of their "new world" selections; personally, I give the win to the French by a lot for beverages.
Old Nov 13, 13, 10:44 pm

Programs: Delta - DM / United - PP / Marriott - PP/ Avis - PC
I've flown both in business and I'd say the service is similar. But I avoid CDG whenever possible. I have had nothing but bad luck whether departing or connecting at the airport. AMS is such a breeze to move through that I never worry about issues there.

My vote is KLM...plus you get a miniature house! Doesn't mean much to me personally, but my wife enjoys them and we all know the saying...'Happy wife, happy life.'
Old Nov 13, 13, 11:14 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I much prefer the KLM service, and as mentioned earlier Schiphol is a breeze of an airport whereas CDG pretty much sucks.
Old Nov 14, 13, 12:05 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
LOL don't forget the delft souvenir Dutch house that only KLM provides in J. Either way you will have a nice flight.
Old Nov 14, 13, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On board, I think it's a push. Slight edge to AF, maybe.

On the ground, if Something Goes Wrong, I'd rather be in AMS than CDG, 7 out of 7 days of the week. In AMS, the natives are friendly, speak English and love America (or at least fake it convincingly).

I was stranded in AMS during that big snowstorm in December 2010, booked a room online at the AMS Sheraton (thank you, SPG Cash and Points!) from the KLM Lounge, and rode out the weather over the weekend with the friendly and efficient Dutch.

From the news reports I saw on tv, CDG was pretty much like "Lord of the Flies" by 11AM the following day....

Best of luck,

O/H
Old Nov 14, 13, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, former Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond, Momentum *SOAR*
Definitely KLM, due to connecting in AMS (ok, I'm biased).

While not applicable in this case (A330); please take note that the new KLM World Business Class (if applicable) would probably always have the edge over Air France Affaires.

The first KLM aircraft with the brand new interior including the new full-flat seat has been in use since July 2013. In total, 22 Boeing 747s will be converted up to April 2014. After that date, the new World Business Class will also be introduced on 15 Boeing 777-200s.
Old Nov 14, 13, 4:51 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
As I see it, the major differences are the "style" or service and AMS vs CDG. Both carriers are likely to have 2-3-2 angled lie flat seats, although YMMV. AF will offer some French wines while KLM is proud of their "new world" selections; personally, I give the win to the French by a lot for beverages.
The 330/340 has 2-2-2 seating in J. The two middle seats give direct aisle access. KL is changing to lie-flats, but it's early days yet.
Old Nov 14, 13, 4:59 am

Programs: DL PM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
I agree that CDG is a PITA, but I prefer the A340 in Affaires. It's 2-2-2 and the seats seem nicer to me than the other AF seats, and for me, better than the KL seats.
Old Nov 14, 13, 6:26 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
I consider AF business class seats to be way better than KLM's World Business Class seats.

And it seems that people still have the CDG from 4 years ago stuck in their heads. Things have changed and improved, a lot.
Old Nov 14, 13, 6:28 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by B7e7US View Post
I consider AF business class seats to be way better than KLM's World Business Class seats.

And it seems that people still have the CDG from 4 years ago stuck in their heads. Things have changed and improved, a lot.
It's been demolished?
Old Nov 14, 13, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi View Post
It's been demolished?
For all practical purposes for AF, it has. It remains a little confusing, but not that bad. Meanwhile, I think AMS is overrated. Fine, but overrated.

To the OP... I'd flip a coin. I think AF might be slightly better in flight, but it really is a wash.
Old Nov 14, 13, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
AF = better plane experience. AMS = better hub.
Old Nov 14, 13, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
Note that the KLM flight is on an A333, meaning it would have a newer WBC than the likes of the B772/747/A332 but it's not yet the new full flat one.
I think the A333 WBC is the same as AF.
Old Nov 14, 13, 8:41 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by pbarnette View Post
Meanwhile, I think AMS is overrated. Fine, but overrated.
Every single transit through AMS is like hell for me (e.g. their idiotic security points right before gates or crazy lines everywhere.)

At CDG everything is simple, clear and fast, especially with the Accès n°1 lanes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: