Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW $8.99 snack box - AVOID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, SPG Plat 100, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mikepa
Trail mix is good use of a HOOU coupon! Use it or lose it! I had some expiring coupons too so I brought home 4 bags!
+1
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
The travel treats box is still an option - the tapas box has just replaced the flight delights box. I picked up one each way LAX-ATL-LAX with my HOOU coupons this past weekend, and I thought that they were pretty good. I was actually impressed with how much food they packed into the box. Don't miss the dark chocolate!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I basically share that opinion. The snack boxes will prevent starvation, but I would never pay real money for one.
Unless starving, then I might consider paying a little money for a snack box. I've wised up though and generally keep a cliff bar in my laptop bag nowadays.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by jiburi
http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del.../eats-menu.pdf

I prefer the travel treats at $6.49 but Eat Tapas at $8.99 sounds nice. I wouldn't buy it just for the name tho...

Jiburi
The name is ridiculous and $8.99 is absurd to pay if using cash, but I think they taste fine. I use my HOOU coupon for these and have no complaints.

I'm not sure why the difference in price point between this one at the $6.49, except that this one is the healthier option and the "healthy" consumer is usually more inclined to throw extra money away for perceived healthier items (like $5 organic apples)
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:54 pm

Sad to see the jelly beans are gone. Not so healthy but I love a good jelly bean or 30.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jb008
Unless starving, then I might consider paying a little money for a snack box. I've wised up though and generally keep a cliff bar in my laptop bag nowadays.
Until you get it seized upon reentry to the US...
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Sad to see the jelly beans are gone. Not so healthy but I love a good jelly bean or 30.
Prefer mine by the handful.

Only snack I will get is the fruit and cheese box.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I never much cared for the Flight Delights anyway. It looks like the Travel Treats is still the same. It's probably due for a change soon though. Hopefully they won't mess it up.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Until you get it seized upon reentry to the US...
If I get to travel int'l I'll happily buy a new cliff bar if necessary I have the "joy" of doing commuter hops on small regional jets for 95% of my flying.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by jb008
If I get to travel int'l I'll happily buy a new cliff bar if necessary I have the "joy" of doing commuter hops on small regional jets for 95% of my flying.
No probs, Cliff bars are fine for entry, just declare it as food.

I had some chocolate-enhanced granola bars with me one time (don't step onto a plane without some food in case service is delayed/non-existant). The CB guy asked "what food?" I replied "granola bars" he said "you can keep those, they sound too healthy".

Anyway, for many trips to the US into different airports I have brought and declared stuff like that no problem. I can't imagine what would be in cliff bars that would exclude them. Real meat? Unprocessed fruit, veg, dairy? No? OK then, factory product, you should be good to go.

DanishFlyer
Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
No probs, Cliff bars are fine for entry, just declare it as food.

I had some chocolate-enhanced granola bars with me one time (don't step onto a plane without some food in case service is delayed/non-existant). The CB guy asked "what food?" I replied "granola bars" he said "you can keep those, they sound too healthy".

Anyway, for many trips to the US into different airports I have brought and declared stuff like that no problem. I can't imagine what would be in cliff bars that would exclude them. Real meat? Unprocessed fruit, veg, dairy? No? OK then, factory product, you should be good to go.

DanishFlyer
The only issue with bringing food like this (NOT meat, cheese, fruit veggies, etc.) into the USA is that stating that you have food might cause you the hassle of being sent to secondary/ag inspection.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The only issue with bringing food like this (NOT meat, cheese, fruit veggies, etc.) into the USA is that stating that you have food might cause you the hassle of being sent to secondary/ag inspection.
To me (routinely bringing in legal food for more than 10 years) this has only happened when I had canned products containing meat (allowed, but they wanted to check).

Every other time, I max get asked in the customs line "what foods?"

So yeah, there is a risk, but it seems very small to me. Of course, there is always the risk of secondary, regardless of what you bring. I had a student who ate his apple on the way from CPH to Frankfurt, then later that day upon landing in the US the dog marked his bag as suspicious.

DanishFlyer
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Deleted

Last edited by DeltaFan4Now; Nov 13, 2013 at 6:42 am
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:28 pm

So yeah, there is a risk, but it seems very small to me. Of course, there is always the risk of secondary, regardless of what you bring. I had a student who ate his apple on the way from CPH to Frankfurt, then later that day upon landing in the US the dog marked his bag as suspicious.
How exactly did the dog mark the bag?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:22 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
To me (routinely bringing in legal food for more than 10 years) this has only happened when I had canned products containing meat (allowed, but they wanted to check).

Every other time, I max get asked in the customs line "what foods?"

DanishFlyer
This is my experience too after dozens or hundreds of overseas trips when I often bring back food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.