Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with a friend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum and Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Zeeb
You know what seat she's supposed to be, she knows what seat you're supposed to be in. It technically is against the rules but I've never had a flight attendant so much as bat an eye. I always just swap boarding passes once we board just in case but she's never been asked to show one.
That's kind of what I assumed, although it did seem a little shiesty.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Zeeb
You know what seat she's supposed to be, she knows what seat you're supposed to be in. It technically is against the rules but I've never had a flight attendant so much as bat an eye. I always just swap boarding passes once we board just in case but she's never been asked to show one.
I've given my upgraded seat to a companion (spouse, girlfriend or child) literally dozens of times over 20 years. Nobody cares, except in a slightly positive way. Flight attendants have remarked on my generosity many times. And for me, it's almost a novelty to sit in coach on a relatively short flight.

Bruce
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum and Delta Gold Medallion
On a somewhat different topic (I didn't want to open up a new one) I'm looking at tickets for my flight from MKE to SYR after I leave my friends christmas party and I'm thinking of using miles, but I couldn't remember if I used Pay With Miles and cash and booked a first class seat would I earn MQM's and Skymiles?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TvlPeach
Everyone has given OP great info but I'd like to throw out one more thing from recent experience. Hubby is GM and until two months ago always booked our reservations together. Due to some glitch with DL credit, we had to book two separate reservations and then have them linked.

It didn't go as smoothly as you would think. Hubby has SKY boarding and I had lower boarding status but that was taken care of by understanding GAs. Hubby got TSA precheck and of course I wasn't granted that benefit. We used carryons only so bag fees weren't an issue. Out of 3 flights, 2 had equipment changes and our seats together were rows apart with me in a middle seat. I understand that sometimes things happen but for that trip, linking the reservations together didn't work for us!
Linking reservations after booking is not like booking under the same PNR. Linking is merely a line in each of you PNR indicting you are traveling together. If re-booking is needed due mechanical for instance, delta can see you are traveling together and can try to accommodate you together. However, linking itineraries does not entitle the non medallion to the medallion benefits from the other PNR.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Matthew Russell
On a somewhat different topic (I didn't want to open up a new one) I'm looking at tickets for my flight from MKE to SYR after I leave my friends christmas party and I'm thinking of using miles, but I couldn't remember if I used Pay With Miles and cash and booked a first class seat would I earn MQM's and Skymiles?
Yes! for coach, you don't get anything but for first you will get full miles, bonus miles and MQMs. I have pretty much given up on free upgrades on my routes and now consistently use $ and miles to book directly into F
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by TvlPeach
Everyone has given OP great info but I'd like to throw out one more thing from recent experience. Hubby is GM and until two months ago always booked our reservations together. Due to some glitch with DL credit, we had to book two separate reservations and then have them linked.

It didn't go as smoothly as you would think. Hubby has SKY boarding and I had lower boarding status but that was taken care of by understanding GAs. Hubby got TSA precheck and of course I wasn't granted that benefit. We used carryons only so bag fees weren't an issue. Out of 3 flights, 2 had equipment changes and our seats together were rows apart with me in a middle seat. I understand that sometimes things happen but for that trip, linking the reservations together didn't work for us!
That is annoying. But you only need to have the PNR split before the upgrade window! You only risk things getting messed up with a last minute equipment changes or schedule changes (not going to happen 4 days before).

It's a shame that you have to keep a keen eye on every reservation, but you gotta do what you gotta do! I check about once a week, 24-hours prior and about 4 hours prior.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I've given my upgraded seat to a companion (spouse, girlfriend or child) literally dozens of times over 20 years. Nobody cares, except in a slightly positive way. Flight attendants have remarked on my generosity many times. And for me, it's almost a novelty to sit in coach on a relatively short flight.

Bruce
#firstworldproblems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.