Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New DM here. ATL-BOS upgrade odds as Diamond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond and HHonors Diamond

Just curious. I've historically only been Platinum. Will hit DM before my next 2 upcoming ATL-BOS-ATL trips. Typically as PM on an L-U-T fare, I'm in the 20s for an upgrade spot on a very long list (90+ often).

Typically, I'm leaving ATL in the morning and returning on that 6:45 pm flight.

With such a long line...you guys have a sense for what my upgrade odds are as DM?

To date, I've been upgraded on 1 leg out of maybe 10 on that route as PM.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Weekdays excluding Friday and Monday are almost 100 percent. Weekdays including Monday and Friday likely 85 percent.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
As a GM, I often get the upgrade on that route. However, I usually fly off-peak, due to commuting back from school, and non-peak times to boot.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond and HHonors Diamond
off peak vs. peak

unfortunately, I fly exclusively peak. no weekends to BOS for me.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
I've done that route as a DM many times. For the most part I have cleared the upgrade, but have still on a few times rode back cabin. It really depends on peak times.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM, HH DM, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Amtrak SP
As a PM I'm 0 for 10 or so this year on BOS-ATL and vice versa. It seems to be a tough upgrade but I also fly almost exclusively at peak times. I'm usually in the 20ish area as well on the upgrade list. As a DM you'll move up of course but with the LUT fares I would assume you'll be less than 100%.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, DL 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier and Lifetime Platinum
Been doing this route off and on for the last 2 years .. Monday morning's ATL to BOS is tough as a DM - at best 50% on the early flight. Thursday and evening Wed afternoon can also be tough on the return.

So to be honest, I think DL has really managed revenue well on this flight. I often end up buying the first class tix which can at times be only $100 to $150 more than coach if I buy pretty close in to my flight .. I suspect others are doing this as well.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:21 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
As a DM, I have yet to miss an upgrade on this route.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Flying it this weekend - as you know, no business travel so much easier. I am DM and got the Upgrades through at the 5 day window. Monday morning and Friday night there would be almost zilch chance.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Oct 31, 2013 at 3:37 pm
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
And downsizing for the winter season with fewer 757s in favor of md88/a320s will bring the chances down ever so slightly...
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I just flew this for the first time on Friday as a DM. I was upgraded at the gate as the fourth person with four seats open on a T fare. On the way to Atlanta, IRROPS allowed me to re-book a flight home to ATL (I was on a MR through SJC and expected to get ORC, although DL ended up just assigning me a trip in vain and gave me the miles from BOS-ATL RT) that night. I took the last flight out of ATL, which was mostly empty in Y, and I was second on a five-person list for the upgrade into F.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Weekdays excluding Friday and Monday are almost 100 percent. Weekdays including Monday and Friday likely 85 percent.
I'm 17 for 20 BOS-ATL & ATL-BOS including one Shena for 85%.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by nebraskaboy
And downsizing for the winter season with fewer 757s in favor of md88/a320s will bring the chances down ever so slightly...
ever so slightly ??? It brings the chances down a ton. 22-26 FC seats on the 757s, 12 on A320s and A319s and 16 on MD-88s & 90s.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
ever so slightly ??? It brings the chances down a ton. 22-26 FC seats on the 757s, 12 on A320s and A319s and 16 on MD-88s & 90s.
More Y seats on a 75 than those other birds too... so "ever so slightly" is on point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.