FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   FBI: Off-Duty Pilot Groped Girl, 14, On Delta Flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1516951-fbi-off-duty-pilot-groped-girl-14-delta-flight.html)

kettle1 Oct 29, 2013 5:00 pm

FBI: Off-Duty Pilot Groped Girl, 14, On Delta Flight

An off-duty pilot traveling on a Delta Air Lines flight Saturday allegedly groped the buttocks of a sleeping 14-year-old girl who was seated next to him and flying as an unaccompanied minor, The Smoking Gun has learned.

Michael James Pascal, 45, was named yesterday in a felony complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City, Utah. Pascal, who works as a Delta Connection pilot, was charged with abusive sexual contact on an aircraft.

According to FBI Agent Cameron Smilie, Pascal and the teenage victim were traveling on Delta Flight #855, which departed Detroit at 5:45 PM Saturday and arrived in Salt Lake City about three hours later.

The teenager said she later fell asleep in a seated position “with her legs pulled close to her chest and her feet on her seat.” When she awoke, the girl recalled, she noticed Pascal’s hand “under the left cheek of her buttocks.” The hand, she noted, was “far enough under her buttocks that his fingers were touching her inner thigh.”

Agent Smilie reported that the girl described feeling Pascal’s hand as “being palm up and feeling him gripping her buttocks but not moving.” The armrest between her and Pascal “was in the upright position” and some of Pascal’s body weight was on her.

Pascal’s eyes were open and he “was clearly awake,” the teenager told investigators.

Full story:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...ssenger-675432

If this is true this OO pilot is very in serious trouble.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/delta-pilot-butt-grab

jaloola Oct 29, 2013 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1 (Post 21691104)
Michael James Pascal, 45, was named yesterday in a felony complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City, Utah. Pascal, who works as a Delta Connection pilot, was charged with abusive sexual contact on an aircraft.

No disrespect intended to SkyWest, but wouldn't that make him an OO Pilot?

indufan Oct 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1 (Post 21691104)
was charged with abusive sexual contact on an aircraft.

Who knew there was such a charge?

dEagleS Oct 29, 2013 11:06 pm

I am not sure why the location changes the nature of the offense, whether in the air, or on the ground, or in a boat...

indufan Oct 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by dEagleS (Post 21692679)
I am not sure why the location changes the nature of the offense, whether in the air, or on the ground, or in a boat...

Jurisdiction.

jaloola Oct 30, 2013 12:07 am

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 21692800)
Jurisdiction.

I believe dEagleS was referring to the double standard we often seem to apply to matters of jurisprudence, often fueled by how the media enjoys taking something and running with it, not the basis for FBI involvement.

In other words, even though one is fifteen times more likely to get raped in the United States, apparently it only matters when it occurs in India. (sarcasm)

hockeystl Oct 30, 2013 7:14 am

Put a blue uniform on them and they can they get away with doing it on a daily basis in airports across the US.

Spiff Oct 30, 2013 7:47 am

Originally Posted by hockeystl (Post 21694026)
Put a blue uniform on them and they can they get away with doing it on a daily basis in airports across the US.

Probably not the "clearly awake" part, though.

Didn't this guy have a background check? Isn't he permitted access to the "sterile" area just by waving his badge? How could this have happened??

HongKonger Oct 30, 2013 8:51 am

Originally Posted by hockeystl (Post 21694026)

This

NoStressHere Oct 30, 2013 9:10 am

He says he was asleep. Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn't.

Similar things have happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pu0m9iTo4

northwest_buckeye Oct 30, 2013 9:15 am

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 21692331)

Federal charge. States can't charge someone for a crime aboard an aircraft.

N830MH Oct 30, 2013 10:59 am

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 21692331)

Yes, he will faces child molesting charge. He will go to prison for years. He will never work for airlines again.

What a shame!!! He shouldn't never touch with the young girl. He have to stay away from there.

Oakshadow Oct 30, 2013 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 21694204)
Didn't this guy have a background check? Isn't he permitted access to the "sterile" area just by waving his badge? How could this have happened??

He probably did, but background checks usually focus on past criminal activity and the potential security risk of non-sexual natures. As does frequently happen, a sexual assault can be impossible to predict if the applicant's record is clean. I've never heard of pilots being required to perform psychological tests to screen pilots with boundary issues. Maybe they'll start some day.

MSPeconomist Oct 30, 2013 2:43 pm

This does cast doubt on the wisdom of some carrier's policies to seat their own employees next to UMs. It becomes a liability issue even if the employee is no more likely than a random stranger to be a predator.

indufan Oct 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye (Post 21694671)
Federal charge. States can't charge someone for a crime aboard an aircraft.

Yeah, this is my industry, I got it. I just didn't think they would be so specific.

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 21695346)
He will go to prison for years.

If I am ever charged with a crime, I hope you don't get selected for the jury.