Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member 355F1
Print Wikipost

Delta New 737-900ER Interior

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WidgetHead
...I'm usually a DL supporter, but this feels like just another step in DL's continued fleecing of elites and HVCs, trying to milk every penny and continuing to devalue FO...
Its not a target at FO's, its Delta maximizing capacity and therefore profits by literally squeezing as many pax in as possible. Reduced pitch and comfort is targeted at everyone.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:03 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp
MSP...our standard/average FC pitch is 37" and standard FC recline is 6".
"Standard" pitch now may be 37" but once upon a time, on domestic wide body aircraft like the 767-300, it was 40".

37" is fine on a 717 doing a 45 minute flight, but on a narrow body transcon, it's not really "first class" under any reasonable interpretation of the term.

In other words, it would be nice if pitch in the front cabin could be customized to the expected routes the equipment was bought to fly.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I flew in F (3C) today DTW-SFO in a new 737-900ER.

Let me just say... this was a big disappointment. The problem was the jerk in front of me who reclined his seat back as soon as the wheels were off the ground.
And this is the problem with all the new FC on DL planes (including those with recent mods). When the pax in front of you goes full recline, you literally have about the same amount of personal space as on a CR2. It's sad when even the smallest laptops require being placed in your lap because they won't fit on the tray table when the pax in front is in full recline. C'mon DL, either limit the recline or add another inch or two.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:07 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I flew in F (3C) today DTW-SFO in a new 737-900ER.

Let me just say... this was a big disappointment. There were some niceties such as two very visible and accessible power plugs low but in the middle of the seats in front of me. There was a USB port that recharged my phone on the way as well as a headphone jack both somewhat under the large LCD screen in the seat back in front of me. The problem was the jerk in front of me who reclined his seat back as soon as the wheels were off the ground. The screen itself does not tilt so you are looking at it at a weird angle if the seat is reclined. There was no WiFi (despite being advertised as such) because it had not been installed yet. What idiot allowed the plane to leaving Boeing without having the WiFi equipment installed before putting the plane into service? Even if GoGo is paying for it, someone should be worrying about getting all that done before it goes into service.

The lavatory in F is incredibly tiny. It was almost impossible to turn around let alone try to adjust you pants, belt, etc. unless you're a bean pole. The flight attendant call button and the flush button are small and poorly marked. Without reading glasses, I could not tell what they did so I hit the FA call button thinking it was the flush button. Who takes their reading glasses into the lav?

In order to squeeze all those seats in the plane, there are no full size carts to serve the coach beverage service. As such, the FAs would run out of supplies and have to come back to the front galley (or the rear galley) and get more sodas, etc. The FAs were based on SFO and had flown the plane into DTW today and then turned around and flew it back to SFO. It was their first time on the plane and they hated it.

I didn't get a chance to wander back into Y so I can't comment on the seat pitch there but I can say the F seat pitch wasn't anything special. I can say, the seat comfort was horrible, even in F. An old 757 coach seat didn't leave me with the back pain this plane's F seat did.

Despite the new bins, the first bin on each side (over 1AB and 1CD) are small just like on the other 737s because the body of the plane starts to taper in. As such, you can't put a rollaboard into them wheels or handles first. We, of course, ran out of room for carry-ons. As I was sitting on the aisle, I did not see anyone bringing on anything that looked oversize. There are just too many seats for the number of overhead compartments.

All in all, despite the "new car smell," I'd call it a good plane by Boeing ruined by Delta's attempt to "squeeze every inch" out of the plane.
DL-Don...I'm sorry the cabin and experience didn't meet your expectations. Just to address some of your comments...

Boeing does not line-fit the Gogo Wi-Fi system...each carrier must install the system after the a/c is delivered. The 737-900ER is a new fleet type for Delta and for Gogo, requiring supplemental type certification (STC) in order to install and activate the Wi-Fi system. And because of the govt shutdown, and subsequent backlog of STC requests, the FAA wasn't able to grant us Wi-Fi STC before our 739 service commenced. We hope to have certification within 4-6 weeks.

The Wi-Fi amenity icon is being removed from delta.com and the Fly Delta apps until the system is activated.

I know that Wi-Fi is hugely important to our customers so this is disappointing -- especially on a brand new plane.

The FC lavatory takes up the exact same footprint as our 737-700 and 737-800 fleets. It is not any smaller than the current 737NG FC lav.

I agree with you that the Boeing-installed "Flush" placard is a bit too small and can be difficult to see with the blue mood lighting. We are addressing that by installing a new placard that is easier to see.

The FC seats are pitched at 37" with 6" of recline, the standard for the majority of Delta's domestic fleet. The FC seats are the same model found on the MD88 and MD90 fleets, however the 739 features an additional 3/4" of foam padding in the seatback, seat cushion and headrest.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Chris, is it true that the in-seat screens will not tilt (so you can view when someone is reclining), or is what was reported here a one-off error?
The screens do not tilt and cannot due to seat certification requirements, however these are Panasonic's latest generation Eco monitors which offer a 60 degree viewing angle.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
--deleted--
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by rylan
I was wondering about the 'slimline' lavs. Guess it got even smaller inside than the current -800?

Kind of surprised the displays don't tilt. That definitely would make it awkward to view when the person in front reclines. Wonder if it is like that in Y also or if those tilt.
Rylan...none of Panasonic's integrated Eco monitors tilt. The 9" version of these monitors are installed in EC and YC on the 767-300ER, A330 and 747 fleets.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
The screens do not tilt and cannot due to seat certification requirements, however these are Panasonic's latest generation Eco monitors which offer a 60 degree viewing angle.
Of course we all arrange our family rooms so we spend all the time viewing the TV at 60 degrees off the center-line.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Yikes, only 10% F/Y ratio. Not only that, but total seating going from 180 to 199.
SARDINE CITY!

Does that even need another FA or is it just under the cutoff for needing another because it is 199 and not 200? Sounds like there will be a couple rows of Y sandwiched in between the mid cabin doors and F cabin.
Rylan...FC pitch will be 37", EC will be 34" and YC will be 31". There will be no 30" pitch on any of the 56 757-200 a/c that will remain in the fleet. There will be two rows of EC behind FC forward of Door 2.

The new cabins will be a dramatic improvement over the current interiors and they will all feature personal on demand IFE and 110v AC power at every row. All 752s (except those based in Tokyo) will also feature live Sat TV.

Last edited by Chris_DeltaCustExp; Nov 5, 2013 at 10:28 am Reason: Grammatical error
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: DL Skymiles FO, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Deleted - Apologies for my ill-placed rant

Last edited by WidgetHead; Nov 5, 2013 at 10:32 am
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta, SPG
The FC seats are pitched at 37" with 6" of recline, the standard for the majority of Delta's domestic fleet. The FC seats are the same model found on the MD88 and MD90 fleets, however the 739 features an additional 3/4" of foam padding in the seatback, seat cushion and headrest.
Chris_DeltaCustExp,

Question on FC moving forward. With the reduction of size of cabin and subsequent reduction in upgrades to the cabin (DL markets "unlimited complimentary Medallion upgrades to get people in/hooked), are there any plans to improve the FC service across the soft products/meals?

If the organization expects/desires people to pay for a seat in the cabin, the organization should re-look at the service (hard and soft) it's offering for that payment. To date, aside from the space (which is being reduced consistently), there is very little that feels 'first class' when you sit up front especially on a post 8pm 5 hr flight from ATL-LAX where you're lucky to get a few passes of the "Snack Basket."

If Alitalia can serve a meal in EuroBiz from AMS-MXP, Delta should be able to from ATL-LAX, regardless of the flight hour.

I pay for FC because I like having space, but given the service levels and soft product offering of the class, why not just rename it Business or Premium Economy and have it be just that - more room.

Best,
-DLGrkItalNY
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: DL PM
Just wanted to add another voice to the party.

Flew a brand-spanking new (we were the 3rd or 4th segment) 737 the other day from DTW-LAX.

As a PM, I was 17th of 35+ on the UG list for 3 seats. The chap next to me was a 15 year-straight PM, and there were several others around us. There were no empty seats that I could see. Clearly, this was not a route to be flying a new NB 737. DL seems to be really pushing to eliminate as many flights as possible and squeeze as many Medallions into the back as possible, which is disappointing.

But I digress. I sat in 20D, an exit row aisle seat in the row with only aisle and middle (no window). The exit row in front of me had three across.

I would recommend avoiding this row (20) at all costs if you think you are in for extra leg room. There was none - I'm 5'10" and my knees were in the back of the seat in front of me the entire flight. At least, I sincerely hope there is no extra legroom in this room, as that would mean that standard Y was a nightmare to ride in.

The new entertainment system was nice, but as I've pointed out before, even after sitting through several minutes of mandatory commercials (you couldn't turn the screen off), I was randomly presented with 30+ second, huge advertisements while simply navigating the interface. This really is unacceptable in general, but it's even worse as a Medallion. This isn't making me feel like a valued customer in the slightest.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY
Chris_DeltaCustExp,

Question on FC moving forward. With the reduction of size of cabin and subsequent reduction in upgrades to the cabin (DL markets "unlimited complimentary Medallion upgrades to get people in/hooked), are there any plans to improve the FC service across the soft products/meals?

If the organization expects/desires people to pay for a seat in the cabin, the organization should re-look at the service (hard and soft) it's offering for that payment. To date, aside from the space (which is being reduced consistently), there is very little that feels 'first class' when you sit up front especially on a post 8pm 5 hr flight from ATL-LAX where you're lucky to get a few passes of the "Snack Basket."

If Alitalia can serve a meal in EuroBiz from AMS-MXP, Delta should be able to from ATL-LAX, regardless of the flight hour.

I pay for FC because I like having space, but given the service levels and soft product offering of the class, why not just rename it Business or Premium Economy and have it be just that - more room.

Best,
-DLGrkItalNY
So so true
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Rylan...FC pitch will be 37", EC will be 34" and YC will be 31". There will be no 30" pitch on any of the 56 757-200 a/c that will remain in the fleet. There will be two rows of EC behind FC forward of Door 2.

The new cabins will be a dramatic improvement over the current interiors and they will all feature personal on demand IFE and 110v AC power at every row. All 752s (except those based in Tokyo) will also feature live Sat TV.
Thanks for the info. While I am looking forward to the updated seats, IFE and power, it is disappointing to see the F/Y ratio dropping several percent on the 757s.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Boeing does not line-fit the Gogo Wi-Fi system...each carrier must install the system after the a/c is delivered. The 737-900ER is a new fleet type for Delta and for Gogo, requiring supplemental type certification (STC) in order to install and activate the Wi-Fi system. And because of the govt shutdown, and subsequent backlog of STC requests, the FAA wasn't able to grant us Wi-Fi STC before our 739 service commenced. We hope to have certification within 4-6 weeks.

The Wi-Fi amenity icon is being removed from delta.com and the Fly Delta apps until the system is activated.

I know that Wi-Fi is hugely important to our customers so this is disappointing -- especially on a brand new plane.
Chris_DeltaCustExp,

I've pre-purchased a Wi-Fi pass for my upcoming flight this Friday. I chose this flight weeks ago, with the assumption that WiFi would be available. Now, 3 days out, I'm told I will not have WiFi? This is going to cause a significant issue for me, as I took the earlier flight (during normal business hours) only because I "knew" I could check in with the office while airborne. Had I known of this issue, I would have chosen a later flight.

To say I'm disappointed is a significant understatement.

Regards,
NapaPat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.