Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member emancj — and it includes a photograph

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member tvnwz

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member 355F1
Print Wikipost

Delta New 737-900ER Interior

Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I went to use some soon to expire SWUs for a trip to SFO in January. Guess what, the ONLY flights on which I could confirm the upgrades were 737-900s.

Coincidence? I think not.
REALLY!?!?!?!

You REALLY believe that?

Virginia Avenue must roll their eyes and laugh at some of the posts in here.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by FitTraveler
The "focus group" was Thelma Louise Jennings down in the Seats Department flipping through a catalog. Ms Jennings raises chickens and pigs in her back yard, drives a Chevy Malibu with roll down windows and an AM radio "over to Atlanta" to work and rarely flies.
hilarious!
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: DL-PM
I'm actually looking forward to my 1A experience from SEA to ATL on Monday... Being loyal beyond reason to DL has made me skip any prior chance to fly on a Sky Interior ac...

For me, window trumps legroom. Any day. Anytime.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by bubbashow
REALLY!?!?!?!

You REALLY believe that?

Virginia Avenue must roll their eyes and laugh at some of the posts in here.
If you believe Revenue Management doesn't manipulate available upgrades for a wide number of reasons, you really are living in fantasy land.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by f-Don
If you believe Revenue Management doesn't manipulate available upgrades for a wide number of reasons, you really are living in fantasy land.
I know they manipulate inventories. That's their job. However, if you think there is some mass Uprising against a specific fleet type that has only been in the air for delta a few months, I will meet you at it's a small world. Ft Is not a normal cross-section of flyers, and most of the people in a plane have no idea before, during, or after a flight what the aircraft type is upon which they are flying.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
I just booked a flight for next week on a 739. There seems to be a lot of negative sentiment, but the G fare to fly SLC-LAX-LAS was cheaper than the A fare SLC-LAS; cheaper ticket, more miles, and a chance to test out the 739 first hand? I couldn't pass it up, especially since the 1 hr 30 min flight would be long enough to get a good feel for it, but not too long to be unbearable if it turns out to be a negative experience. FWIW, I'll be in 5A.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Quick Trip Report, DL 61 SFO-ATL 12/9/13

I had my first trip on a 737-900 yesterday, Delta 61 SFO-ATL. After all upgrades had cleared I was 23 out of 39 as a GM on a T fare. I was supposed to travel home to DCA via DTW but my DTW-DCA segment had been cancelled, and Delta's computer put me on this flight.

I was assigned 11D, the first row of Economy Comfort on the right. This seat is a mixed blessing; it has good leg room as the closet between F and Y does not stick all the way out. On the other hand, this seat has two problems: (1) the door from the closet can swing back and hit you if the FA doesn't operate the latch properly, which happened two times; and (2) the personal video screen is attached to a post which swings up from a recess inside the left support of the seat--an FA made a big deal of harassing me to put the screen away 15 minutes before we landed (the other screens in my row were attached to the closet wall/bulkhead).

The flight ended up 100% full after standbys were accomodated. I was watching the screen in the gate house to try to figure out how many seats were on board; it was either 177 or 178, with 20 in F (for some reason, for the Y cabin the monitor showed 147 checked-in/3 reserved/7 unassigned, then, in the next flash, showed 148 checked in/3 reserved/7 unassigned). On the second watering run an hour before we landed, the same FA who later harassed me over the video screen refused to give me a full can of soda, saying that they were running out.

As far as seat cushion comfort, my rear end started to hurt with 2 hours left in the flight (we were aloft about 4 hours). My EC seat had an adjustable head rest with "wings" that folded slightly inward.

As far as the AVOD, my screen didn't work initially, but did after the FA reset it from a panel near the front door. The screen is confusing as a blue halo surrounds a socket which appears to be the headphone jack insert; however, it turns out that there is a jack insert in the left armrest of the seat, and this is the one through which you receive audio. There is no satellite TV; only pre-loaded videos. As far as games are concerned, an interactive trivia game was not included.

While new, this plane really had the feel of a 21st century cattle car. Even F class did not have a spacious look.

Give me a 757 any day. Just my two cents.

Couple more comments: (1) WiFi was available on our flight (I saw the guy sitting next to me using the internet and sending e-mails) (I'm relying on my memory here; I remember the airshow program indicating that this was ship number 3803); (2) I got up to go to the lav, and I did it right, walked to the back of the aircraft. There are three lavs back there. I thought the lav was adequate enough; certainly not the size of the lav I used on the AF A380 a couple of years ago; (3) my walk to the back of the plane was really an eye-opener, as there were some serious cattle car scenes--a number of rows had large men sitting on aisle seats sticking their legs out in to the aisle, making it tricky to move; (4) the mesh curtain between F and Y has a faux leather outer piece that snaps in the middle when closed--the FAs were having to do a kind of limbo to get underneath to move between cabins.

Last edited by ND76; Dec 10, 2013 at 6:50 am Reason: Additional comments
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: DL-PM
Okay, here we go...

DL 2368 SEA - ATL
B737-992ER N810DN (ship 3810)
Delivered on November 18, which made it less than a month old...

The Sky Interior is pretty nifty, and the brand new plane smell is still there. No real mood lighting used, so I cannot comment on it. I do like the bins.

I had 1A... all of the comments on space for this row are accurate. Two words: It sucks.

The seat is fine, comfortable. I love the winged headrest, but come on... with this pitch, it's almost impossible to resist the temptation of putting your feet up against the bulkhead. It's tight, tight, tight...

Lav is indeed tiny. The sink is actually hilariously narrow. With the standard size size of pax growing wider, 'cramped quarters' is an understatement.

AVOD is really great... screen size, selection, system, all of it... (Incidentally, I was very surprised to watch an uncensored version of The Shining; had there been a kid next to me, I would have had to fast forward one or two scenes).

Not a bad plane, overall, but even in F it is a far call from the personal space available on the 757s... I will miss them.

Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
First 737-900ER Experience

Snagged a brand new 739ER Friday night on the last flight from ATLTPA. Here are some impressions:
  • Very nice cabin with great led lighting. The blue lights inside the sculpted oval on the ceiling by the door entrance added a nice aesthetic touch
  • The swing out overheads were different and opened up the cabin aisles. Had that wide body cabin feel.
  • The FC leg room felt very tight. The seats have lots of recline and the guy in front of you is almost literally in your lap.
  • There are tablet type devices for IFE in the back of the seats. Very bright, sharp, HD picture. But, you are a slave to the commercials. Commercials everywhere. I hit the map button and up popped a commercial.
  • The reading angle of the tablet appears not to be adjustable--at least I could not make it swivel--so when the Diamond in front of you leans all the way back the viewing angle is very acute.
  • The seats recline so much it is impossible--at least it was for me--to get out of my window seat without asking the guy in front of me to pull his seat up for me to get over the oval arm rest between the seats.
  • The seats were very hard, but I am chalking this up to them being new. Nevertheless, not sure my ... would appreciate a cross country ride. The head rest and side wings are nice.
  • The FA call button is nowhere near the overhead reading light buttons, so you are not going to chime in instead of turning on a light.
  • The gaspers are interesting. Flat with little nubs you move to open them. No protruding nozzles.
  • Great new plane smell.

Nice plane, but does not feel like a 757 replacement. Others have impressions?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Snagged a brand new 739ER Friday night on the last flight from ATLTPA. Here are some impressions:
  • Very nice cabin with great led lighting. The blue lights inside the sculpted oval on the ceiling by the door entrance added a nice aesthetic touch
  • The swing out overheads were different and opened up the cabin aisles. Had that wide body cabin feel.
  • The FC leg room felt very tight. The seats have lots of recline and the guy in front of you is almost literally in your lap.
  • There are tablet type devices for IFE in the back of the seats. Very bright, sharp, HD picture. But, you are a slave to the commercials. Commercials everywhere. I hit the map button and up popped a commercial.
  • The reading angle of the tablet appears not to be adjustable--at least I could not make it swivel--so when the Diamond in front of you leans all the way back the viewing angle is very acute.
  • The seats recline so much it is impossible--at least it was for me--to get out of my window seat without asking the guy in front of me to pull his seat up for me to get over the oval arm rest between the seats.
  • The seats were very hard, but I am chalking this up to them being new. Nevertheless, not sure my ... would appreciate a cross country ride. The head rest and side wings are nice.
  • The FA call button is nowhere near the overhead reading light buttons, so you are not going to chime in instead of turning on a light.
  • The gaspers are interesting. Flat with little nubs you move to open them. No protruding nozzles.
  • Great new plane smell.

Nice plane, but does not feel like a 757 replacement. Others have impressions?
Seems pretty poorly done overall.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I'm inclined to agree. But it was midnight and I was exhausted. Clear they are squeezing in seats. I guess you could say the seat recline is good news, bad news. More recline, but in the lap of the guy behind you.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:54 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tvnwz
I guess you could say the seat recline is good news, bad news.
Also good news / bad news for the 2 pax in this pic . . . .

From this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22002047-post1151.html

Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM
I had my first ride on one this past Monday. Was #26 on the upgrade list as a PM so I rode in 10C. I actually thought the seat was pretty comfortable compared to what others have said, but I often ride in the exit row so maybe that plays a factor.

In 10A/B/C, the screens fold up from the side which was a bit wonky, but worked ok. I was impressed with the response to touch compared to most other PTVs I've used--it seemed to react almost immediately. I couldn't get two different pairs of headphones to work, though, and gave up on having sound. The legroom in 10A/B/C was great, I think a hair better than the A320 and maybe even better than row 10 in a MD-88. The other advantage was this seat lines up with the one in front of it, and there is some extra lateral space due to the closet on the other side of the aisle so I didn't get whacked by every person walking by like on some other planes.

The gaspers are interesting, and I like the design. The only problem is from a coach aisle seat, I could barely reach it or the overheard light. Anyone much shorter than me (I'm 5'9") would have to unbuckle and stand up to reach it.

Both of my neighbor's tray tables were stuck and wouldn't come out of the armrest, though. Not good news on a plane that has only had a few dozen flights.

I think this may have been the FAs first trip on the 739 as they had to work through some things. One of the FAs was fairly short and she couldn't close the bins by herself. I also heard them tell FC pax during PDB service they didn't have anything hot to drink, but they fixed this in time for the regular service.

Overall I was not unhappy with my seat, but I think 10C may be the best coach seat on this plane. Not sure I'd be as happy farther back.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:33 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
The only problem is from a coach aisle seat, I could barely reach it or the overheard light.
Is that a new button you press to alert the FA that your neighbor is talking too loud?

Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Most of this is consistent with the standard new 737 interiors Boeing has been installing, not specific to the 737-900ER (though the seats sound different).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.