Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hawaii vacation - how to get the most out of DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

My son was born in Hawaii (US navy) and now is 15 and we want to take him back to see where he was born

I will have 250,000 skypesos, i will also make PM this year

What is the best way to get whole family in FC for trip there/back. I will be taking ATL-HNL non stop hopefully. Neither kid has flown before (Son flew back at 7mo so really doesn't count)

I am assuming I get to choose a PM gift now and again in Feb 2014 (not sure if this is accurate)

I also think I am reading the rules right in that I can't UG more than myself and one other guest with SWU. So that leave me buying 2 tix and UG the other 2 - I think.

Am I missing something? Better way to do it?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm

I am assuming I get to choose a PM gift now and again in Feb 2014 (not sure if this is accurate)
No, you only get one PM gift (assuming you just hit PM this year) which you can choose between now and Feb 2015. If you make 75K MQM's again next year, you will get another one which you can choose by Feb 2016.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 1:56 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
As a PM you can choose 4 SWU as your choice benefit. It will take you 2 SWU per person, so that will use your 4 SWU, then you will need to buy the other 2 FC tickets or try and use your miles for award tickets. The non stop HNL>ATL flight is very hard to find any upgrade availability to,use your SWU's. That's on the A330, you may have better luck out connecting through LAX on the 757's. Good luck and happy hunting for the SWU availability.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
HMM, that brings up another question on SWU's?

If I am booking 10 months in advance, how far out can you use SWU's to get an upgrade?

Right now, the 2 times I am looking at, one flight has zero FC sold and 6 coach sold. The other has 3 FC and about 15 coach sold.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
The SWU can not be expired befire the tickrt is reissued. So if inventory does not ope n up before day of departure and your SWU is expired you are SOL

To OP. Ii wouldn't spend too moch to get FC to HI. It is a mediocure experience at best on DL. It is not BE and the FA's can disappear fir the last 3+ hours of the flight. Meal service is standard domestic FC.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:47 am

You're going to pay about $500 more per seat to get a K class fare just to get an SWU upgradeable ticket. Not worth it, in my opinion. Just again pointing out the fact that SWUs are not worth a whole lot anymore. They often offer purchase upgrades for about $250 even with LUT fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.