Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take a bump for an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Take a bump for an upgrade?

Has anyone had any success negotiating a business/first upgrade (on their re-scheduled flight) for taking a bump? Or do people usually just take the certificate and go...

Just wondering if it worth negotiating. Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by bvanderhaar
Has anyone had any success negotiating a business/first upgrade (on their re-scheduled flight) for taking a bump? Or do people usually just take the certificate and go...

I have always had success when the seat is available. I did this for a one hour bump ORD-ATL not too long ago, and have done it MYS-ATL, too.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

Absolutely it as least worth asking. It has happened to me occasionally -but it has been a while since I took a bump.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL plat, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, National Executive

Routinely flying full flights in ATL, I have had success at least once a month. Just have to have the seat available
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
By the time of a bump, if there's a seat up front, it's likely going as a freebie UG anyway, so giving it as part of a VDB is relatively easy.

Needless to say, some elite looking for the freebie/SWU is the loser here.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:38 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I have often negotiated an upgrade to domestic first or international business class when taking a VDB. Just depends on the situation, availability, etc.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:26 pm
Suspended

I'd also say it depends on how many are volunteering. For instance, if they need 2 volunteers and 4 people offer to give up their seats and you're the one asking for F, whom do you think they'll look to take last?

I think this only works if they can't find volunteers and you're the only one who offers to take a bump pending a F seat on the next flight.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:43 pm

Just got bumped today MSY->LGA. Got rerouted via DTW and F was available on the MSY->DTW leg but not the whole way home. Never hurts to ask.

Now, what to do with $400. I'm thinking Belize.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... Just wondering if it worth negotiating ...

IN
A
HEARTBEAT

my last VDB was off BWI-ATL-LAX, when I saw an A319 instead of the expected A320 taxiing to the gate at BWI ... had to endure an E145 BWI-JFK, but 76W BE JFK-LAX more than compensated (of course the $400 voucher was a part of the deal as well)

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by injera
Just got bumped today MSY->LGA. Got rerouted via DTW and F was available on the MSY->DTW leg but not the whole way home. Never hurts to ask.

Now, what to do with $400. I'm thinking Belize.
Belize sounds nice.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jrl22
IN
A
HEARTBEAT

my last VDB was off BWI-ATL-LAX, when I saw an A319 instead of the expected A320 taxiing to the gate at BWI ... had to endure an E145 BWI-JFK, but 76W BE JFK-LAX more than compensated (of course the $400 voucher was a part of the deal as well)
Wow did you luck out.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:01 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by BOSavi8tr
I'd also say it depends on how many are volunteering. For instance, if they need 2 volunteers and 4 people offer to give up their seats and you're the one asking for F, whom do you think they'll look to take last?

I think this only works if they can't find volunteers and you're the only one who offers to take a bump pending a F seat on the next flight.
I don't agree. You can always ask and the GA will say yes or no. I have never been turned down for a VDB when asking for F space on the rebooked flights even when there were more volunteers than there were needed volunteers.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Nexus, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5 Star
I usually have great success with this tactic. I generally just ask for the confirmed seat and don't worry about the voucher. The newest thing I tried, that was horribly unsuccessful, was to extend my sky club membership for a year. They were offering $600 in travel for a vdb and I told them, I didn't want the $600, I just wanted another year on my sky club membership. I was given an immediate, "great idea but not a chance..."
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Labflyer
I usually have great success with this tactic. I generally just ask for the confirmed seat and don't worry about the voucher.
This is more what I was trying to target. Vouchers are an OK incentive for me, but I've had a couple expire already because my leisure routes are usually better (price, route-wise) on other carriers. But arriving one hour later to my destination with a F seat? Totally worth it to me in most cases.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Always worth asking ... last time I did I got nothing but zeros. In the end I declined the VBD because there was no benefit for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.