Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SCORE ONE for the good guys! I stopped the GA from giving my UG to a non rev.

SCORE ONE for the good guys! I stopped the GA from giving my UG to a non rev.

Old Oct 21, 13, 12:14 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
The law is what matters, your opinion of whether it is theft or not is irrelevant.
I'm on YOUR side of the UG issue, but, I'd say that you're stretching things a little. What matters is what the company thinks and wants to do about it. They obviously and CLEARLY don't care about the entire issue!
Old Oct 21, 13, 2:06 pm

No, the gate agent DOES NOT. The policy is to UG any medallion first then non-revs if space is available. Period. You may not think it's theft, but it meets the legal definition of theft.
It is the gate agent's job responsibility to allocate the upgrades. He is the one with the authority to give any passenger an upgrade. If he doesn't follow company policy, that is a job performance issue, but he isn't breaking any law.

The "theft" argument is silly. Nothing is being stolen. No seat is legally the property of any passenger, nor does any passenger have a legal right to sit in any seat, regardless of any upgrade policy. Delta's upgrade policy also isn't a contract. No upgrade is ever guaranteed. It is exactly what you call it: a policy (not a right).
Old Oct 21, 13, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I am not sure I would call it theft but misappropriation of company assets might be appropriate. As in where my asssits and where employee's asssits .
Old Oct 21, 13, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
I don't understand what the first GA was thinking about. If all he wanted was to get the non-rev on board, while the other GA cleared the OP, then he must have known he didn't have the control over the upgrade list, right? If so, then how could he be so confident to argue with the OP about the last FC seat when the second GA cleared that to him? If I were the other GA who cleared the upgrade, then I would have reported the first GA to the station manager and he would have got canned next day morning.
Old Oct 21, 13, 4:45 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 View Post
I don't understand what the first GA was thinking about. If all he wanted was to get the non-rev on board, while the other GA cleared the OP, then he must have known he didn't have the control over the upgrade list, right? If so, then how could he be so confident to argue with the OP about the last FC seat when the second GA cleared that to him? If I were the other GA who cleared the upgrade, then I would have reported the first GA to the station manager and he would have got canned next day morning.
Is there any proof it was a non- rev psgr?
Old Oct 21, 13, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM / MM - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Forgive me but I'm a bit lost here. This thread is saying its common for the GA to give upgrades to stand by employees rather than the folks on the upgrade list? And you would know this only by the fact that you are, say first on the list with 1 or 2 seats left and then you don't clear? Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 13, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL, SPG
Originally Posted by firstmob View Post
Is there any proof it was a non- rev psgr?
It's speculation plus the lack of understanding that standby lists often contain many revenue pax after the last FC seat has been cleared.
Old Oct 21, 13, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Robert Leach View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by KOTAR1988

I said, "after repeated e-mails to DL, they assured me that DL's GA's are required to go and get the Medallions in Economy.....

Sounds like you were a near-victim of SHENA, but your statement above is in contradiction to the actual policy, which unfortunately has always been that if you board, you forfeit any further chance at an upgrade. While some GA's will go on board and do the right thing, there is no policy which requires them to do so.

I can just see a dozen Medallions standing there snapping photos of the GIDS in the future.
And I can see DL taking the UG list off the GIDS.
Old Oct 21, 13, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by HongKonger

The law is what matters, your opinion of whether it is theft or not is irrelevant.

I'm on YOUR side of the UG issue, but, I'd say that you're stretching things a little. What matters is what the company thinks and wants to do about it. They obviously and CLEARLY don't care about the entire issue!
It's theft no matter if DL chooses to pursue it, but I agree nothing comes of it unless DL starts caring.
Old Oct 21, 13, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by telloh View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by HongKonger

No, the gate agent DOES NOT. The policy is to UG any medallion first then non-revs if space is available. Period. You may not think it's theft, but it meets the legal definition of theft.

It is the gate agent's job responsibility to allocate the upgrades. He is the one with the authority to give any passenger an upgrade. If he doesn't follow company policy, that is a job performance issue, but he isn't breaking any law.

The "theft" argument is silly. Nothing is being stolen. No seat is legally the property of any passenger, nor does any passenger have a legal right to sit in any seat, regardless of any upgrade policy. Delta's upgrade policy also isn't a contract. No upgrade is ever guaranteed. It is exactly what you call it: a policy (not a right).
Ignorantia legis non excusat. You have the right to be incorrect as well as a sucker. You don't have non-rev privileges by any chance, do you?
Old Oct 22, 13, 6:23 am

Programs: DL PM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
And I can see DL taking the UG list off the GIDS.
In the grand scheme of things, that will be a big net negative for the GAs - a return to the bad old days. On some flights they'll constantly have 52 people in line asking where they are on the list. "Did my upgrade clear yet?". Yikes...
Old Oct 22, 13, 6:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL SIlver
Originally Posted by AdamDunn32 View Post
It's speculation plus the lack of understanding that standby lists often contain many revenue pax after the last FC seat has been cleared.
So what we have is a bunch of people calling theft, some calling for the removal of the GA from their jobs, all based on speculation, with little facts, while Delta's official policy on the matter is being stated differently by those that "were told by Delta..."

Yeah, typical Delta forum.
Old Oct 22, 13, 6:55 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
There is no policy. There is only history. as in "this is how we do it here"....

Ive seen GA go back to Y and pull a DM to F. Ive gotten UG as lowly FO by waiting and begrudgingly given the UG.

Zero consistency.
Old Oct 22, 13, 7:43 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by lucycan View Post
Forgive me but I'm a bit lost here. This thread is saying its common for the GA to give upgrades to stand by employees rather than the folks on the upgrade list? And you would know this only by the fact that you are, say first on the list with 1 or 2 seats left and then you don't clear? Thanks!
I'm confused too -- I understood OP to say that his name appeared on the Cleared list indicating "Up" telling him that his UG was confirmed. Then he goes to board with his original BP expecting the scanner to spit out his new FC BP, only to be told by the GA that his UG didn't come through.

I always thought the automated upgrade list as displayed on the GIDS was precisely to remove discretion from the GA's (no upgrades for friends, flirters, or just because you asked really nicely). I guess I never realized that the GA's still had the ability not only to override the automated UG system, but to take away a previously confirmed UG (again, if I understand correctly the situation described by the OP).

So now you have to watch the GIDS and if you get the UG it might be a good idea to snap a picture of it as evidence in case some GA decides to take it away from you??!! Great, and as HongKonger pointed out, then DL will take the UG list off the GIDS "to enhance operational flexibility and provide you with a better experience" no doubt
Old Oct 22, 13, 8:00 am

Programs: AMEX DL Reserve ✈ DL Diamond Medallion ✈ Marriott ✈ NWA
Originally Posted by lucycan View Post
I've seen this. I saw this 2 weeks ago on my way to SEA. I'm Gold Med sitting in EC. I saw this Flight Attendant sit in 1st Class. She had on a DL uniform. I didn't complain.

I was also told that once you board the aircraft, you'll lose out on the possibility of being upgraded. But, I saw the other day in DTW the GA went on the PA and announce a name and seat number. If you are on the aircraft ring bell or come foreword. They rang the bell. They then went to 1st class. and the woman who sat next to me states she was on Standby.

I see it as some GA don't know what the rules are. I don't even know the policy. I've been given and seen conflicting UGs going on.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: