FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   SCORE ONE for the good guys! I stopped the GA from giving my UG to a non rev. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1513628-score-one-good-guys-i-stopped-ga-giving-my-ug-non-rev.html)

mnredfox Oct 21, 2013 12:51 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp (Post 21633283)
This may start a new trend of FT'ers taking pictures of the GIDS when their UG clears! ^

Are you saying what is on GIDS is automatic? I thought you were only cleared on the screens when the GA did this manually? I know they process the BF UG's manually, why would this happen by itself?

The issue isn't that you lose your UG when you board, the issue is that GA's use it as an excuse to shena you out of your seat. The policy is even if your board, if there is space you should get it. It's the GA's lack of compliance to the policy that is the issue.

Lastly, WRT MQD on UG order that would be a disaster unless it was last in line. Would a $20K MQD PM be UG'd over a $13K DM?

DeltaFan4Now Oct 21, 2013 3:19 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 21641211)
Lastly, WRT MQD on UG order that would be a disaster unless it was last in line. Would a $20K MQD PM be UG'd over a $13K DM?

Especially interested in how they would handle a $20K MQD PM on an X fare vs. a $13K PM on a B fare?

MSPeconomist Oct 21, 2013 5:39 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now (Post 21641535)
Especially interested in how they would handle a $20K MQD PM on an X fare vs. a $13K PM on a B fare?

How about a $20,000 DM on an E fare versus a $19,999 DM on a B fare? Unless DL uses thresholds for MQDs, there will rarely be ties, so fare class would no longer matter. This could be a bit of DL shooting itself in the foot since some people will buy higher fare classes (or their employers do) partly for the better upgrade opportunities.

OTOH purely as a tiebreaker, MQDs might be more sensible than time of upgrade request.

florin Oct 21, 2013 5:43 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now (Post 21641535)

Rock-paper-scissors seems the obvious way to handle this.

HongKonger Oct 21, 2013 6:59 am

Originally Posted by florin (Post 21641840)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now

Rock-paper-scissors seems the obvious way to handle this.

Smart medallions should start with paper, because rock is the most psychologically aggressive throw and newbies tend to throw it first. Proven fact.

HongKonger Oct 21, 2013 7:00 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 21641831)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now

How about a $20,000 DM on an E fare versus a $19,999 DM on a B fare? Unless DL uses thresholds for MQDs, there will rarely be ties, so fare class would no longer matter. This could be a bit of DL shooting itself in the foot since some people will buy higher fare classes (or their employers do) partly for the better upgrade opportunities.

OTOH purely as a tiebreaker, MQDs might be more sensible than time of upgrade request.

But DL would have to keep track of MQDs for non-US based medallions flying domestic segments who would also be on the UG list.

MSPeconomist Oct 21, 2013 7:34 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger (Post 21642070)
But DL would have to keep track of MQDs for non-US based medallions flying domestic segments who would also be on the UG list.

Good point, plus it would make MQDs matter a lot for those with AmEx $25K spend. Basically, the waiver would almost become meaningless if one wants status for ugrades.

telloh Oct 21, 2013 8:47 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger (Post 21640571)
It is indeed theft of services. The GA is taking a resource that belongs to her employer and which her employer has directed be used in a particular fashion and instead used it for the benefit of her friends. That's theft.

The gate agent has the authority to allocate upgrades to revenue and non-revenue passengers. If he doesn't follow Delta policy in executing that allocation, that is poor job performance, not theft.

vgb2001 Oct 21, 2013 8:57 am

Originally Posted by FitTraveler (Post 21640836)
MQD could factor in two ways:
- to further segment status, e.g., DM with $65k MQD vs DM with $20k MQD
- to more accurately reflect fare paid per segment vs fare code

The other rumor is that the windows will change to ensure more Delta360's and DM's sit upfront- i.e., PM's, GM's, and FO's will be gate upgrades.

Delta is working really hard to identify and differentiate those who contribute the most financially, the real elites... and they ain't the BIS'rs. :D

What is a Delta360?
Where are these rumors coming from?

Renes Points Oct 21, 2013 9:09 am

CONFIRMED

Originally Posted by vgb2001 (Post 21642703)
What is a Delta360?
Where are these rumors coming from?

Not a rumor. Program is CONFIRMED with Delta.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...0-hvc-dms.html

Robert Leach Oct 21, 2013 10:14 am

Originally Posted by KOTAR1988 (Post 21631645)
I said, "after repeated e-mails to DL, they assured me that DL's GA's are required to go and get the Medallions in Economy.....

Sounds like you were a near-victim of SHENA, but your statement above is in contradiction to the actual policy, which unfortunately has always been that if you board, you forfeit any further chance at an upgrade. While some GA's will go on board and do the right thing, there is no policy which requires them to do so.

I can just see a dozen Medallions standing there snapping photos of the GIDS in the future.

davetravels Oct 21, 2013 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach (Post 21643147)
I can just see a dozen Medallions standing there snapping photos of the GIDS in the future.

. . . . . in which case, I'd be taking a pic of the Medallions taking pics of the GIDS (to post here) . . . . . after I took MY pic of the GIDS, of course! :D

FlyDeltaJets87 Oct 21, 2013 10:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 21641831)

The other issue - would the MQDs being used be current year or previous year? If using "Current Year", you may drive away customers who have less travel earlier in the year and more later in the year but are now behind the power curve.

I still think the interesting one is "$20K PM" over "$19,999 DM" on any fare. The argument becomes very strong that the PM should be upgraded over the DM. I think if the system went to such a formula though, you'd see elite status being only revenue based and the mileage requirements done away with.

WestSideBilly Oct 21, 2013 11:17 am

Originally Posted by sdadept (Post 21640664)
This is just my opinion, but I think it happens more than people let on.

I would suspect that most people don't even realize it's happening.

HongKonger Oct 21, 2013 11:45 am

Originally Posted by telloh (Post 21642634)
The gate agent has the authority to allocate upgrades to revenue and non-revenue passengers. If he doesn't follow Delta policy in executing that allocation, that is poor job performance, not theft.

No, the gate agent DOES NOT. The policy is to UG any medallion first then non-revs if space is available. Period. You may not think it's theft, but it meets the legal definition of theft. Taking resources from one's employer to distribute to one's friends is theft. The law is what matters, your opinion of whether it is theft or not is irrelevant.