Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SCORE ONE for the good guys! I stopped the GA from giving my UG to a non rev.

SCORE ONE for the good guys! I stopped the GA from giving my UG to a non rev.

Old Oct 19, 13, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL SIlver
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
Please send the letter in. No matter your intention, that GA deserves to lose their job for attempted theft of an upgrade.
I think losing their job is a bit much if it's a first offense. This gate agent needs to be trained, not fired.

If training does not fix the issue, well... then other options can be explored.

<soapbox>
I am so freakin sick of "us" (flyertalkers) calling for people to be fired over minor crap like this. Training should be the first step. To suggest someone be fired, which impacts their whole livelyhood, their family, etc over an upgrade? Yes, they should be called out, and yes management should be made aware. But unless it is a repeated issue that consultation and training fails to fix, to call for them to get fired is just petty and simplistic.
</soapbox>
Old Oct 19, 13, 8:28 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL View Post
P.s. it's not called Business Elite anymore, it's called "non-revs gone wild". That whole section on international flights is one big non-rev party!
Want First, Buy First... isn't that how it goes? Look, statements like that are the reasons why threads such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...les-forum.html threads exist.

International First is not upgrade eligible unless you play by the rules, which means buying the right class ticket. Play by the rules, get up front. Don't like it? Let Virginia Ave know. Vote with your dollars. Make a thread here... but be civil! Now I'm starting to understand why UAs CFO has the mindset of "over-entitled elites". DYKWIA medallion members... people who just don't get it through their mindset that "I CANT MAKE A PLANE TAKE OFF" and that you're connection is blown because you decided go book and confirm a MCT connection. Sorry, you're going to either try to connect, reschedule for the next day, or cancel the trip. I've got no issues doing any of those but insisting to ..... at me isn't going to help your situation.

*breath* okay. Anyway, just keep reporting Shena to Delta. Eventually the bad ones will get weeded out, the on-the-fence ones will get scared back into compliance, and the good ones will still provide great service.

Or maybe the answer is removing upgrades without instruments completely. Then people can't complain about it being unfair... but there will be more NRSAs in front... OH THE HORROR.

Last edited by Starblazer; Oct 19, 13 at 8:34 pm
Old Oct 19, 13, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by james318 View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by amolkold

Please send the letter in. No matter your intention, that GA deserves to lose their job for attempted theft of an upgrade.

I think losing their job is a bit much if it's a first offense. This gate agent needs to be trained, not fired.

If training does not fix the issue, well... then other options can be explored.

&lt;soapbox&gt;
I am so freakin sick of &quot;us&quot; (flyertalkers) calling for people to be fired over minor crap like this. Training should be the first step. To suggest someone be fired, which impacts their whole livelyhood, their family, etc over an upgrade? Yes, they should be called out, and yes management should be made aware. But unless it is a repeated issue that consultation and training fails to fix, to call for them to get fired is just petty and simplistic.
&lt;/soapbox&gt;
Agree with you but the leash should be short. If your employer has a policy, and you choose to disregard the policy for the benefit of your friends, how many times would your employer "train" you before firing you? I don't know where you work but I'm guessing the answer is "not many."
Old Oct 19, 13, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Kudos to the OP!
Old Oct 19, 13, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by james318 View Post
i think losing their job is a bit much if it's a first offense. This gate agent needs to be trained, not fired.

If training does not fix the issue, well... Then other options can be explored.

I am so freakin sick of "us" (flyertalkers) calling for people to be fired over minor crap like this. training should be the first step. To suggest someone be fired, which impacts their whole livelihood, their family, etc over an upgrade? Yes, they should be called out, and yes management should be made aware. But unless it is a repeated issue that consultation and training fails to fix, to call for them to get fired is just petty and simplistic.
exactly +100 ^
Old Oct 19, 13, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL SIlver
Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
Agree with you but the leash should be short. If your employer has a policy, and you choose to disregard the policy for the benefit of your friends, how many times would your employer "train" you before firing you? I don't know where you work but I'm guessing the answer is "not many."
I'm not arguing their shouldn't be a short leash. Perhaps after one warning it is too much. I don't care.

My problem is that we flyertalkers seem to think that we:
1.) Know everything
2.) Know better
3.) Should have power over to make decisions that affect more than we know.
Old Oct 19, 13, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
If I engaged in theft at my place of employment I would be terminated; end of story. Giving away an F seat to a non-rev when there is still a medallion on the GIDS is theft in my opinion.
Old Oct 19, 13, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
If I engaged in theft at my place of employment I would be terminated; end of story. Giving away an F seat to a non-rev when there is still a medallion on the GIDS is theft in my opinion.
Absolutely this!
Old Oct 20, 13, 12:03 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Hyatt Globalist
completely agree.
Old Oct 20, 13, 7:12 am

if i engaged in theft at my place of employment i would be terminated; end of story. Giving away an f seat to a non-rev when there is still a medallion on the gids is theft in my opinion.
absolutely !
Old Oct 20, 13, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Very true! +1.
Old Oct 20, 13, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Starblazer View Post
Want First, Buy First... isn't that how it goes? Look, statements like that are the reasons why threads such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...les-forum.html threads exist.

International First is not upgrade eligible unless you play by the rules, which means buying the right class ticket. Play by the rules, get up front. Don't like it? Let Virginia Ave know. Vote with your dollars. Make a thread here... but be civil! Now I'm starting to understand why UAs CFO has the mindset of "over-entitled elites". DYKWIA medallion members... people who just don't get it through their mindset that "I CANT MAKE A PLANE TAKE OFF" and that you're connection is blown because you decided go book and confirm a MCT connection. Sorry, you're going to either try to connect, reschedule for the next day, or cancel the trip. I've got no issues doing any of those but insisting to ..... at me isn't going to help your situation.

*breath* okay. Anyway, just keep reporting Shena to Delta. Eventually the bad ones will get weeded out, the on-the-fence ones will get scared back into compliance, and the good ones will still provide great service.

Or maybe the answer is removing upgrades without instruments completely. Then people can't complain about it being unfair... but there will be more NRSAs in front... OH THE HORROR.

+1000—Please, please remember that non-revs in a non-upgrade-eligible international cabin are a completely different discussion that have absolutely nothing to do with discussion of shenanigans w/ domestic F seats.
Old Oct 20, 13, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
+1000—Please, please remember that non-revs in a non-upgrade-eligible international cabin are a completely different discussion that have absolutely nothing to do with discussion of shenanigans w/ domestic F seats.
Please remember that shenanigans have been reported when someone who purchased a M+ fare and attempted to use a SWU fails to be upgraded while nonrevs are given seats in BE. This happens too. It is also theft.
Old Oct 20, 13, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
IMHO there have been too many reports of non rev upgrade shenanigans reported here over the years for DL not to take notice. One should feel free to reach the obvious conclusion as to why they haven't corrected the issue. @:-)
Old Oct 20, 13, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Please remember that shenanigans have been reported when someone who purchased a M+ fare and attempted to use a SWU fails to be upgraded while nonrevs are given seats in BE. This happens too. It is also theft.
Fair enough, hence the "non-upgrade-eligible" in my post. I don't think that many of the complaints over non-revs in BE are focussing on SWU usage.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: