Wiki Posts
Search

PE seating on AF

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL: PM/2MM; MHG; HH;
PE seating on AF

I have several upcoming segments on AF (but with DL flight #). What are the in and outs of PE seating on AF flights. Not the same as DL EC i know. Any way to pay something and score one of those? Where is the best place to start? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DHG(Th)
I have several upcoming segments on AF (but with DL flight #). What are the in and outs of PE seating on AF flights. Not the same as DL EC i know. Any way to pay something and score one of those? Where is the best place to start? Thanks in advance.
You must buy a (more expensive) ticket for the PE cabin. You need a PE fare class such as W for the DL codeshare, W and IIRC two others for the AF flight number. You can't pay extra from a coach ticket to select a PE seat.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
You would need to buy up to W, or if you bought an expensive coach ticket and the ever elusive O bucket opens up and you have a SWU you might be able to upgrade.

Separately, AF offers Seat Plus (exit row, etc) which you can get. If you can find the right person to convince and are GM or higher, you can theoretically get these for free.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
When looking at delta.com for a TATL flight, select "more search options" and select either fare class "Y and higher" or "premium eco W".
Should be around $1800 round trip. Not available on delta.com for all flight (only available when cheap AF A>0).
If not available through on delta ticket, you can buy directly on airfrance.us and add your skymiles # into your AF reservation to get miles and MQM credit.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're hoping to use a SWU to upgrade into AF business class, be careful about the required fare class as well as the rules about codeshare tickets.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
AF PE (as well as AZ PE) is a physically separate cabin from both Y and J. The seats are about 3"-4" wider, the pitch is comparable to domestic F, and there are other side perks. It's definitely not J, but it's a helluva lot better than Y.

W class is DL's codeshare class for PE on any plane so equipped. The straight AF classes are S, W, and A.

When I flew W on AZ a couple of weeks ago, for purposes of boarding and security access, W was treated as if it were J.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by vgb2001
If not available through on delta ticket, you can buy directly on airfrance.us and add your skymiles # into your AF reservation to get miles and MQM credit.
I thought that as of next year - with the MQD introduction - this was no longer the case, that you must be booked on a Delta ticket to get the full MQM?

Oops, sorry, I'm reading it again - you will get the MQM but NOT the MQD. Which - considering the cost of premium voyageur - quite frankly sucks. We're flying to Europe Dec. 2014 and my husband would prefer to fly AF PV because he can sleep in those seats (I'm too cheap to pay for business) Trying to book a multi-city on delta.com that involves a W fare TATL was useless, though I could do it quite easily on the airfrance website. Boo. Guess I have a year to figure out how to do it on the delta site if I want all those MQMs AND MQDs....

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...mt-silver.html
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I thought that as of next year - with the MQD introduction - this was no longer the case, that you must be booked on a Delta ticket to get the full MQM?

Oops, sorry, I'm reading it again - you will get the MQM but NOT the MQD. Which - considering the cost of premium voyageur - quite frankly sucks. We're flying to Europe Dec. 2014 and my husband would prefer to fly AF PV because he can sleep in those seats (I'm too cheap to pay for business) Trying to book a multi-city on delta.com that involves a W fare TATL was useless, though I could do it quite easily on the airfrance website. Boo. Guess I have a year to figure out how to do it on the delta site if I want all those MQMs AND MQDs....

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...mt-silver.html
You can call DL and have them book an AF ticket on DL's 006 ticket stock and you are supposed to get MQDs. However, as an FO they may charge you for the phone transaction (I'm unaware of how FO benefits work).
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
You can call DL and have them book an AF ticket on DL's 006 ticket stock and you are supposed to get MQDs. However, as an FO they may charge you for the phone transaction (I'm unaware of how FO benefits work).
A lot of people, including some with no status whatsoever, have reported success in having the phone ticketing fee waived when something cannot be booked via delta.dumb.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A lot of people, including some with no status whatsoever, have reported success in having the phone ticketing fee waived when something cannot be booked via delta.dumb.
Yes, I've done that before - when I had problems completing a transaction & they waive the phone fee. If we decide to fly PV and if I can't get the flights & classes I want online, I'll try calling - I figured that would be a better option than booking through AF, though that's what we did last time, when MQD wasn't an issue.

(I had really hoped to be able to use miles to get an upgrade on our last trip to Paris but that was about when that became impossible. Pooh!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.