Wiki Posts
Search

Minneapolis Airport Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Minneapolis Airport Question

Hello everyone,

It looks like I am arriving into MSP tomorrow likely in the A or B concourse (on an RJ). What is the quickest way from the A/B concourse to the taxi stand (for a trip to Downtown Minneapolis)? Is it walking on the C/G concourse connector than down to the tram on level T and taking the tram to the taxi area or is it walking through C and past D to the mall area (between F and E) and than exiting down to the T level.

In fact, if I arrive at the A/B, would be quicker to just hop on the light rail to downtown Minneapolis since it would be closer to the A/B area? Thoughts on time to get to taxis or light rail and travel time to downtown Minneapolis in early afternoon?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Ground transportation/Taxi area is stupidly annoying to get to. You basically have to go down to Baggage Claim and then go down another level ..just to go back up to the level you were originally on! The light rail is a really really really long walk in that same basement area in the opposite direction. If someone is picking you up; it's actually easier!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For the light rail, take the C to G connector and exit in the middle, near the TSA security checkpoint. Then you follow the signs and go down, including a long escalator.

For taxis, follow the baggage claim signs, go down one more level, and then you sort of go down a hill and straight past some merchants and DL group check in desks, and then to the left and up one level.

If your destination is downtown and you don't have tons of luggage, take the light rail. It will save about $40 and, depending on traffic, could save time as well.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

These are my only options. I have around 1.5 hours from arrival to an obligation in downtown Minneapolis so I do need to think about the quickest option.

Any other thoughts on Taxi vs Light Rail and time to get from A/B to each transportation option?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:43 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by flyingrox
These are my only options. I have around 1.5 hours from arrival to an obligation in downtown Minneapolis so I do need to think about the quickest option.

Any other thoughts on Taxi vs Light Rail and time to get from A/B to each transportation option?
If you take a taxi, I would exit through the C/G connector, then make a hard left and take the elevator (not the escalators) to the tram level. Take the tram to the end (just one stop), exit the tram, at the information kiosk turn left then up the escalator to the taxi stand area.

But if you are going downtown, then I would highly recommend the light rail (www.metrotransit.org and look for the Blue Line if interested). It is very efficient, departs every 10 minutes, and is not dependent on any traffic or congestion. In this case, take the same elevator from the C/G exit to the lowest level. When you exit, you are on the level for the light rail entrance and tickets. $1.75 before 3pm and $2.25 during rush hour (3pm until I believe 6.30pm). You can pay with cash or credit/debit cards. I use the light rail a lot when going to/from the airport. Very reliable.

Last edited by fti; Oct 16, 2013 at 2:50 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:46 pm

If you want the quickest option, take light rail. It's fast, easy to navigate and will drop you off right in the heart of downtown...multiple stops on 5th St if my memory serves me correctly.

Traffic from MSP to downtown Minneapolis can be a heavy depending on the time of day and if there is any road construction on your route.

And as MSPecon mentioned, it will save you $$ too.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
I agree with the light rail. I have used this several times. Very easy and fast to downtown Minneapolis. Just follow the signs and buy your ticket before you get on the train.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:51 pm

I use the light rail every time. It's about $2 each way and faster than taking a taxi.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The time needed on the light rail is much less variable, so less risky for the OP's downtown obligation.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I think it's roughly 20 minutes from Terminal 1 to target Field.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:48 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Definitely take the light rail. Much cheaper and even in the best taxi conditions the time difference is negligible.

Take the C/G connector, take the elevator to the bottom level, walk straight out and you'll run into the machines for tickets.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
I think it's roughly 20 minutes from Terminal 1 to target Field.
I remember it as 27 minutes from Lindberg Terminal (Terminal 1, which DL uses) to Nicollet Mall, but I don't have a timetable handy to check.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Love the light rail. Cost and convenience win out
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hyatt Diamond
Another vote for the light rail. I used to live downtown and preferred that over taxi, especially if coming from A/B. As mentioned above, there is an elevator directly to the left once you exit security past the point of no return on the C/G connector. Take it all the way down and it drops you off right at the train.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Definitely light rail. And in case you're concerned, minneapolis' light rail system is relatively new and very well maintained making airport travel with bags painless

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.