Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Would Somebody Please Explain Married Segment Logic to Me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium

Hi,

I'm pricing a ticket to RSW from LAS for Christmas and don't quite understand the pricing logic; if I search by segment, LAS-ATL shows T/V availability, ATL-RSW shows mostly U.

But if I try and purchase the fare, class availability jumps way up, varying from S to M to B.

I'm guessing this is due to it being a "married segment" and luckily, I can fly pretty easily into FLL or PBI where fares show for about half (literally) of what RSW is coming up. Plus, I can wait and I think that eventually this will come down in price and availability will open.

But my question is really this : why is this good for the airlines? If they obviously have lower class availability on both segments (unless it books higher per fare rules?), why does it bump up when I try to purchase them together?

Could one of you explain this logic to me? I'd really appreciate your insights. Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Since airfares are sold point A to B, married segment logic allows an airline to gain more revenue between a city pair while allowing other city pairs to remain at cheaper prices. I.e. delta thinks it can sell you an M fare ticket between LAS-RSW, but expects to sell cheaper tickets point to point in your itinerary.

What may be worth investigating is trying to book it as a two segment trip, by putting LAS-ATL as one part of the reservation and ATL-RSW as other part. This would allow you to 'break' the fare in ATL and essentially have two separate tickets, but as long as you're on the same PNR you'll be protected in IRROPS. Often this method can come out with some pretty cheap tickets!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Since airfares are sold point A to B, married segment logic allows an airline to gain more revenue between a city pair while allowing other city pairs to remain at cheaper prices. I.e. delta thinks it can sell you an M fare ticket between LAS-RSW, but expects to sell cheaper tickets point to point in your itinerary.

What may be worth investigating is trying to book it as a two segment trip, by putting LAS-ATL as one part of the reservation and ATL-RSW as other part. This would allow you to 'break' the fare in ATL and essentially have two separate tickets, but as long as you're on the same PNR you'll be protected in IRROPS. Often this method can come out with some pretty cheap tickets!
To do this, on delta.dumb go to advanced search, then multi city. Build your own connections, experimenting to see whether it makes a difference whether the scheduled connecting time at ATL is under or over four hours.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If you're booking this as a roundtrip, you might also want to look into booking as a back-to-back LAS-ATL and ATL-RSW. Again, have them merged into one PNR and you're covered on IRROPS.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
If you're booking this as a roundtrip, you might also want to look into booking as a back-to-back LAS-ATL and ATL-RSW. Again, have them merged into one PNR and you're covered on IRROPS.
PNRs can never be merged. They can only be linked, which doesn't do very much.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
I've read several posts on "Married Segments" across various blogs and there seems to be a misconception about what they are and how they are used in the industry. Most of the discussions I've read about "Married Segments" are actually talking about the difference between Local (single segment) Availability and Flow (connecting flight) Availability.

As most folks on here know, fares are tied to various inventory codes which are limited to 26 (A thru Z) by industry standard. Some carriers have enahnced their systems to allow for additional codes, but those can be used for internal purposes only (they don't transimt between other airlines or the GDSs).

Given that fares aren't generally priced on an equivalent revenue/mile system from market to market, selling a seat to a customer flying in one market is actually more valuable than selling the same seat to a customer flying in a different market. Let's use an example:

DCA-ATL with a Q fare of $200 OW
ATL-PHX with a Q fare of $300 OW

If DCA-PHX had a Q fare of $500 OW AND there was equal probability of demand from one passenger for DCA-PHX as for one passenger on DCA-ATL and one passenger on ATL-PHX, the Q seat has the same value to the airline regardless of which passengers buy the Q seat on the two flights.

Where things get interesting is when the DCA-PHX Q fare is $700. As such, this passenger is more valuable and the DCA-PHX Flow Availability in Q will be higher than the Local Availability in Q for DCA-ATL and ATL-PHX.

When the concept of Flow and Local Availability was first introduced in the 1980s, many travel agents and airline employees figured out that they could book connecting flights which had higher availability and then cancel the unwanted segment(s) to obtain a seat at a fare in a market that wasn't actually available. For example, booking DCA-ATL-PHX then cancelling ATL-PHX would allow you to then price the DCA-ATL fare that wasn't actually availabile.

To address this loophole, the industry implemented Married Segments which, as their name implies, means that they are coupled. If you book DCA-ATL-PHX, the segments are married to one another and cancelling one generally can't be done without cancelling both.

Of course, it is also possible that the example above could be reversed where the DCA-PHX Q fare is only $400 (less than the sum of the two local segments). In this case, Flow Availability in Q for DCA-PHX would be lower than the Local Q Availability for the DCA-ATL and ATL-PHX segments.

Again, many agents tried to game the system by booking DCA-ATL first then booking ATL-PHX as a second transaction, but in the same PNR. This would then allow them to obtain seat to price the $400 fare that wasn't available in DCA-PHX. To address this problem, the industry developed an additional solution known as Journey Data.

With Journey Data, any previously booked segments in the PNR are passed along with newly requested segments to a carrier's inventory system. The inventory system then detemines if the new segment forms a connection with any of the previously booked segments. If so, the avaialibilty for the new segment will be based on the Flow Availability for the connection, not the segement's Local Availability.

So if you book DCA-ATL and then request ATL-PHX, the system will see DCA-ATL is a connectio to ATL-PHX and the ATL-PHX Q availability would be based on the Flow Availability for DCA-PHX. Likewise, if you book ATL-PHX first then try to add DCA-ATL in front of it, the DCA-ATL availability will be based on DCA-PHX.

In instances where the inventory system allows the new segment to be booked, it will set a "New Marriage Condition" on the previously booked segment(s) that was deemed to be part of the connection, thus protecting the Flow Availability decision.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by 777Pax
I've read several posts on "Married Segments" across various blogs and there seems to be a misconception about what they are and how they are used in the industry. Most of the discussions I've read about "Married Segments" are actually talking about the difference between Local (single segment) Availability and Flow (connecting flight) Availability.

As most folks on here know, fares are tied to various inventory codes which are limited to 26 (A thru Z) by industry standard. Some carriers have enahnced their systems to allow for additional codes, but those can be used for internal purposes only (they don't transimt between other airlines or the GDSs).

Given that fares aren't generally priced on an equivalent revenue/mile system from market to market, selling a seat to a customer flying in one market is actually more valuable than selling the same seat to a customer flying in a different market. Let's use an example:

DCA-ATL with a Q fare of $200 OW
ATL-PHX with a Q fare of $300 OW

If DCA-PHX had a Q fare of $500 OW AND there was equal probability of demand from one passenger for DCA-PHX as for one passenger on DCA-ATL and one passenger on ATL-PHX, the Q seat has the same value to the airline regardless of which passengers buy the Q seat on the two flights.

Where things get interesting is when the DCA-PHX Q fare is $700. As such, this passenger is more valuable and the DCA-PHX Flow Availability in Q will be higher than the Local Availability in Q for DCA-ATL and ATL-PHX.

When the concept of Flow and Local Availability was first introduced in the 1980s, many travel agents and airline employees figured out that they could book connecting flights which had higher availability and then cancel the unwanted segment(s) to obtain a seat at a fare in a market that wasn't actually available. For example, booking DCA-ATL-PHX then cancelling ATL-PHX would allow you to then price the DCA-ATL fare that wasn't actually availabile.

To address this loophole, the industry implemented Married Segments which, as their name implies, means that they are coupled. If you book DCA-ATL-PHX, the segments are married to one another and cancelling one generally can't be done without cancelling both.

Of course, it is also possible that the example above could be reversed where the DCA-PHX Q fare is only $400 (less than the sum of the two local segments). In this case, Flow Availability in Q for DCA-PHX would be lower than the Local Q Availability for the DCA-ATL and ATL-PHX segments.

Again, many agents tried to game the system by booking DCA-ATL first then booking ATL-PHX as a second transaction, but in the same PNR. This would then allow them to obtain seat to price the $400 fare that wasn't available in DCA-PHX. To address this problem, the industry developed an additional solution known as Journey Data.

With Journey Data, any previously booked segments in the PNR are passed along with newly requested segments to a carrier's inventory system. The inventory system then detemines if the new segment forms a connection with any of the previously booked segments. If so, the avaialibilty for the new segment will be based on the Flow Availability for the connection, not the segement's Local Availability.

So if you book DCA-ATL and then request ATL-PHX, the system will see DCA-ATL is a connectio to ATL-PHX and the ATL-PHX Q availability would be based on the Flow Availability for DCA-PHX. Likewise, if you book ATL-PHX first then try to add DCA-ATL in front of it, the DCA-ATL availability will be based on DCA-PHX.

In instances where the inventory system allows the new segment to be booked, it will set a "New Marriage Condition" on the previously booked segment(s) that was deemed to be part of the connection, thus protecting the Flow Availability decision.

Hope that helps.
excellent explanation! I definitely learned something new!

However, the sad truth is that buggy delta IT often lets you price out the fare as two separate segments!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by suvayanr
excellent explanation! I definitely learned something new!

However, the sad truth is that buggy delta IT often lets you price out the fare as two separate segments!
Yes, that's right. When it comes time to price, most systems will still allow a sum of local fare regardless of whether the inventory is sold from local or flow availability.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Has anyone had success recently calling in to DL and ticketing as single segments for an award that is pricing out higher at married segment rate?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Has anyone had success recently calling in to DL and ticketing as single segments for an award that is pricing out higher at married segment rate?
None at all. The new dumbed down DL reservation system limits the agents seeing to what you see on DL.com. Even the real angels have their hands tied these days.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by DAV2355711
But my question is really this : why is this good for the airlines? If they obviously have lower class availability on both segments (unless it books higher per fare rules?), why does it bump up when I try to purchase them together?

Could one of you explain this logic to me?
If your supermarket were run like an airline, these would be your prices:

Limes: cheap
Tequila: cheap
Limes + Tequila: costly

(And they'd stop you from gaming the system by checking out twice!)

Last edited by Bowgie; Feb 14, 2016 at 8:54 pm
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Ask them specifically to book it as a multi-city award. It will price additively, based on the cities they enter while searching.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pgh234
None at all. The new dumbed down DL reservation system limits the agents seeing to what you see on DL.com. Even the real angels have their hands tied these days.
No hope.

Originally Posted by javabytes
Ask them specifically to book it as a multi-city award. It will price additively, based on the cities they enter while searching.
Hope.

If I end up doing this trip (still waiting to see if I can get the dates right w/ work, etc), then I'll call in and try. Shall report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.