FO on Non-Rev, BFUG?

Old Oct 7, 13, 9:28 am
Original Poster

FO on Non-Rev, BFUG?

My wife and I (both FO) are flying on Thanksgiving morning, on a nearly empty flight. Any chance that the GA would add us to the UG list (can they even do this)?

If anyone has had luck with this, any advice on how one might make this happen would be appreciated. FWIW, I'm happy sitting in EC (purchased) and don't mind if I get a "no."
Old Oct 7, 13, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
Are flying on award ticketss or as NRSA?

Assuminig it's an award ticket, FO upgrades are not an option. Most GAs will likely follow the policy of not giving you the UG.

Flights on Thanksgiving morning can be very busy; the seat map is not always the best judge as some passengers may have tickets but not selected seats.

If flying on a revenue ticket, it really depends on the route.
Old Oct 7, 13, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
As an FO, you are entitled to 'complimentary' upgrades, you just are at the bottom of the priority list. Go into your reservations and ensure that it shows 'upgrade requested.' If not, call DL and make sure your reservation is updated if you can't change it online. Then, you will be on the upgrade list once you check in for the flight...assuming you don't get upgraded at the FO window.

Good Luck!
Old Oct 7, 13, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're flying nonrev (NRSA), FO status is irrelevant but you can be seated in otherwise empty seats in FC, after all elites who are eligible have been upgraded. If no FC seats are available, you will be given seats in coach if the plane is not full. There are some types of nonrev charges that are more for FC and this assumes no small children or anything else that would make you not able to sit in FC.
Old Oct 7, 13, 9:39 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jsmith50 View Post
As an FO, you are entitled to 'complimentary' upgrades, you just are at the bottom of the priority list. Go into your reservations and ensure that it shows 'upgrade requested.' If not, call DL and make sure your reservation is updated if you can't change it online. Then, you will be on the upgrade list once you check in for the flight...assuming you don't get upgraded at the FO window.

Good Luck!
Not for a FO on an award ticket.
Old Oct 7, 13, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
There are some types of nonrev charges that are more for FC and this assumes no small children or anything else that would make you not able to sit in FC.
Do you enjoy making things up as you go?
Old Oct 7, 13, 10:02 am
Original Poster

It's an SM award ticket, so the UG isn't available as I'm only FO. Just wondering if anyone else had this same sort of experience in the past. It's a small market flights (LGA-MSN) and I don't expect there to be more than 2-3 people in FC on the flight.
Old Oct 7, 13, 10:03 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
There are some types of nonrev charges that are more for FC and this assumes no small children or anything else that would make you not able to sit in FC.
Originally Posted by iTanNicNic View Post
Indeed, most children are small, why would one assume no small children?
Old Oct 7, 13, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by CabinCaptive View Post
It's an SM award ticket, so the UG isn't available as I'm only FO. Just wondering if anyone else had this same sort of experience in the past. It's a small market flights (LGA-MSN) and I don't expect there to be more than 2-3 people in FC on the flight.
Non-Rev (NRSA) is not award travel. Award travel refers to using miles to fly confirmed. NRSA is an employee or buddy pass benefit.

For what it's worth, I was flying LGA-ORD. I was upgraded at the window and my BF was upgraded at the companion window. At the gate, I asked the agents, nicely of course, if there were going to be open seats in F, I had another friend on the flight and it was her birthday. Two seconds later, I had her boarding pass with 1A on it. It doesn't hurt to ask, and be sure to offer to write a nice letter to delta for the bump up!
Old Oct 7, 13, 10:13 am

Programs: DL KM, GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓, CLEAR, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
It is the policy of some airlines to charge for their own NRSAs to be seated in F. AS comes to mind (IIRC AS employees must pay $16 for an F seat), however DL is not one of them.

Last edited by sky303; Oct 7, 13 at 10:26 am
Old Oct 7, 13, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by iTanNicNic View Post
What are you objecting to?

When a nonrev buys a discounted positive space ticket, they get a percentage discount off the fare, so FC would typically cost more than coach on the same flight. ZED tickets might also price differently for coach versus FC.

Or are you arguing that nonrevs can take lap children into FC or get a nonrev seat for a child, no matter how young the kid is? AFAIK, the rule about no nonrevs under age 6 or 8 in premium cabins is still in effect, even though it is sometimes violated.
Old Oct 7, 13, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyalexair View Post
Non-Rev (NRSA) is not award travel. Award travel refers to using miles to fly confirmed. NRSA is an employee or buddy pass benefit.

For what it's worth, I was flying LGA-ORD. I was upgraded at the window and my BF was upgraded at the companion window. At the gate, I asked the agents, nicely of course, if there were going to be open seats in F, I had another friend on the flight and it was her birthday. Two seconds later, I had her boarding pass with 1A on it. It doesn't hurt to ask, and be sure to offer to write a nice letter to delta for the bump up!
Thank you for the clarification!
Old Oct 7, 13, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta plebe
On an award ticket or pay with miles (PWM) ticket an FO isn't eligible for upgrades. Anecdotally, people have reported being upgraded at the gate when space is available, but that violates t&c so it's unclear if it's an operational upgrade (e.g., to create space for a family traveling together or another special circumstance).

An alternative approach for using miles is to use points on PWM seats booking into first/business class. If you catch the Y-Up (A/P) fares right, you can pay a relatively small price differential, confirm spots up front, and get the MQM/RDM/MQS with the 50% class bonus. Not the best CPM return on your miles, but depending on your travel needs and interests, not necessarily a bad option. On a long haul flight, the Y-Up was only a +$55/pp but we earn >5,500 RDM for booking up front w/PWM.

Added in Edit: If someone does upgrade you it's technically against the rules, so you need to weigh out whether submitting feedback to Delta praising them for their actions is going to help or hurt them... I don't know the answer but it may be worth asking them.

Last edited by jb008; Oct 7, 13 at 11:00 am Reason: Addition
Old Oct 7, 13, 11:43 am

I've been upgraded twice while flying on a paid ticket with a companion on an AmEx Companion Cert, which also does not allow for complimentary upgrades. In both cases the front cabin was more than half empty and there were no Medallions left to upgrade, so we asked and the GA moved us up. In one case it was right around Christmas, so the GA was in a very pleasant mood :-)

As others have said, asking nicely will do no harm.
Old Oct 7, 13, 11:55 am

I think there's some terminologies issues here. If OP is already confirmed in an EC seat (assuming on either a purchased regular ticket or "Fly Confirmed for Less" ticket), he/she is eligible for BFUG and that is NOT a nonrev (NRSA) ticket, it's treated the same as any other revenue ticket and passenger.

If on a "Fly Confirmed for Even Less" ticket, still NOT a nonrev (NRSA), but also not eligible for BFUG as far as I know, as well as mileage accrual, etc.

If this was a true NRSA/non-rev situation, OP wouldn't have a seat assignment or even know if he/she was on the flight until departure date/time.

MSPeconomist, my comment was in reference to your implication that NRSA (again, Non-rev space available standby travel) has varying fees based on the cabin one is seated in, which isn't true and to my knowledge has never been true on DL. Other carriers (cough, US, UA, AA...) may choose to shake a few extra dollars out of their employees for premium cabin travel, but DL isn't one, be it for their own employees, ZED, buddies, etc. ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: