Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I dump Delta??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
Delta International Upgrade Policy - Should I Dump Delta?

I'm about to make my 4th year in a row as a Delta DM. I'm approaching 1,000,000 flown miles and for that reason alone, I have stuck with Delta.

My problem is their international upgrade policy. I travel about 250K a year, all internationally, and have never received an upgrade due just to my status with Delta or any of their partners, even though I always buy Y/B/M class full fare refundable tickets. I always have to use my miles or SWU's to get bumped up, and based on availability that is touch and go.

When I was global services (even 1K) with United, I would regularly get bumped up from Y/B/M to Business and from Business to First on international flights on United metal. Even their alliance partners (Copa in particular) upgraded me several times from Y to Business just because of my status (no miles or Regional's used)

Since I only have experience with UA and DL, My question is this: Is Delta particularly stingy with international upgrades from Y/B/M to business based on status alone, or are most airlines like this too? My status with UA was four years ago, so things might have changed. In your experiences, which airline most frequently gives free upgrades to business from Y/B/M based solely on your top tier status?

Last edited by DMinDC; Oct 2, 2013 at 7:36 pm Reason: Title change
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
My guess is that you are restricted to economy purchases only with whomever you are working for, so that might explain why you are buying full Y/B fares as opposed to discount J fares, which are usually cheaper.

That being said, you're going to have a rough time right now finding an airline who will upgrade someone from coach to international J for free. That being said, DL's is the worst program to try to upgrade to international J, whereas AA and UA have very generous programs. Keep in mind, AA's is somewhat cheaper, especially for EXP with 8 systemwides and the mileage and copay is much cheaper than UAs. But they both allow for most fares to upgrade as opposed to DL.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. That's exactly right on the employer - I'm required to buy the Y/B/M even though J is cheaper.

When I've used miles/SWU's to upgrade on Delta or their partners (KE, KLM, AF) it's resulted in a Z fare. It's just annoying that I have to use my miles or SWU's when my coworkers on United get courtesy bumped to business just because they are 1K or better.

You've confirmed what I thought - DL is the worst for status upgrades to business, even as a top tier DM and when buying Y/B/M. I think I'm going to go back to UA in January.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
There's little question that if your travel heavily internationally and upgrades are your top priority, DL is likely the wrong program for you.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
UA and AA don't give free elite upgrades on long haul international flights either: instruments must be used, SWUs or miles. The big difference is that DL requires purchase of a much higher fare class to use such instruments.

However, if the OP's company purchases Y B M fares, DL could have better upgrade availability without going through a waitlist.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

That must be a new development with UA not giving free elite upgrades on long hauls? Three times on UA I was bumped over the pacific (once from Y to business, twice from business to first - NRT to IAD all three times). Copa bumped me free virtually every time from Y to business from PTY - SCL.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by DMinDC
That must be a new development with UA not giving free elite upgrades on long hauls? Three times on UA I was bumped over the pacific (once from Y to business, twice from business to first - NRT to IAD all three times). Copa bumped me free virtually every time from Y to business from PTY - SCL.
Are you sure that what you got was a complimentary upgrade as a true bendit and not an OpUp due to overselling of the Y cabin?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

For the UA flights, when I was bumped from Y to business, I know for a fact the cabin was not fully sold. From business to first on UA , I can't say for sure. Copa, each time I know it was not an OpUp because of an oversold cabin. I take it this is pretty rare now?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Are you sure that what you got was a complimentary upgrade as a true benefit and not an OpUp due to overselling of the Y cabin?
All I know is that I have 115 lifetime TATLs. I had 4 OpUps in 16years on CO/UA - Then 7 in 3.5 years on DL. I have had far greater success as an overall % and over time with DL on OpUps.

I am shocked as a 4 year DM and close to million Miler that you have not had any. My point is - there is no way I will switch away from DL - just no way. But everyone is different.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Oct 3, 2013 at 3:35 pm Reason: 115 not 155 - no BS
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:58 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Are you sure that what you got was a complimentary upgrade as a true bendit and not an OpUp due to overselling of the Y cabin?
. . . . . . which DOES happen on DL every now 'n then, but, not til the very last minute at the gate during boarding, at which time the OP may have already used miles or an SWU to UG.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Domestic upgrades always come a few days in advance, but never once have I gotten a complimentary status upgrade from Y to business over the water with DL or their partners. Maybe I was just lucky when it happened to me with UA and CO.

Last edited by DMinDC; Oct 2, 2013 at 9:08 pm Reason: Update
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I to have rarely gotten international OP-UPs, but I think it may be somewhat route and day specific. I know a GS who flies SEA>NRT a lot in J on UA and frequently gets OP-UPs.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Should I dump Delta??

OP, DL doesn't give free upgrades based on status for flights over an ocean. Period.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:56 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by HongKonger
OP, DL doesn't give free upgrades based on status for flights over an ocean. Period.
Is there ANY airline that gives "free" upgrades based on status for flights over an ocean (international)?

I'm not certain one can really base any decision (for or against Delta or another airline) based on circumstantial discretionary international upgrades.

I'm in the "camp," that believes a full fare Y/B/M traveler on Delta (preferably on someone else's dime) is probably in a decent position for upgrades due to the lack of competition with other full-fare travelers; since (as stated) the vast majority would purchase a discounted BusinessElite ticket (if available) before a Y/B/M with the hopes of using an upgrade instrument.

Also, you can use SWUs with little or no co-pay (dependent on fare class, but Y/B/M hardly requires a co-pay) for any ex-AMS flight on Delta or KLM day of departure (or any KLM operated flight worldwide) as long as there are ANY seats available in the BusinessElite cabin.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DMinDC
When I was global services (even 1K) with United, I would regularly get bumped up from Y/B/M to Business and from Business to First on international flights on United metal. Even their alliance partners (Copa in particular) upgraded me several times from Y to Business just because of my status (no miles or Regional's used)
Welcome to FlyerTalk, DMinDC! ^

Not personally aware of any regular UG’s for UA elites on intl flts unless, of course, op-ups. This might be a better question for the UA forum.

Also not sure why you would stick with DL for four years if this is an important consideration to you. Your best bet with DL may be to get 10 SWU’s annually since you say you only fly Y/B/M intl. It is increasingly rare to see early intl UG inventory but don’t recall reading here on FT of an intl flt failure to use the certs unless maybe a last minute purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.