TPA-LAX non-stops discontinued?

Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
TPA-LAX non-stops discontinued?

I've been following the fare on the daily nonstop between TPA and LAX for a trip with my daughter over MLK weekend in January. All of a sudden on Saturday it stopped showing up altogether. Have they announced an end to this route? I can't find anything, but maybe they just do that quietly...
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM
At that time of the year, it appears to have gone down to
Th, Fr, Su, and Mo frequency only.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:13 am

Looks like it's only operating nonstop both ways on select days in mid-late January, but it hasn't been completely stopped. You might need to be a bit flexible with your travel dates if you're trying to avoid a connection.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I appreciate your help! The non-stop makes timing more convenient, but I'll just have to figure a way around it.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:27 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Yeah, they have gone down in frequency.

I might suggest the trip up to ATL and out to LAX for better equipment and media; generally, on the TPA-LAX non-stop you will not have the personal media
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vincentppetty
Yeah, they have gone down in frequency.

I might suggest the trip up to ATL and out to LAX for better equipment and media; generally, on the TPA-LAX non-stop you will not have the personal media
Were I traveling by myself, obviously I'd take as many connections as I could work in.

Traveling with my daughter, I'm looking for streamlined travel. I may end up on US Airways flying to SBA instead, via PHX. If we have to connect, we might as well end up much closer to our ultimate destination. I'm taking her to Pismo Beach to see the monarch butterfly grove there, which I stumbled across quite by accident last winter on another trip. I think the TPA-LAX non-stops are the most convenient, but if I fly to SBA instead the overall travel time isn't much different because of cutting ~2 hours off the drive.

Last edited by SRQ Guy; Oct 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Were I traveling by myself, obviously I'd take as many connections as I could work in.

Traveling with my daughter, I'm looking for streamlined travel. I may end up on US Airways flying to SBA instead, via PHX. If we have to connect, we might as well end up much closer to our ultimate destination. I'm taking her to Pismo Beach to see the monarch butterfly grove there, which I stumbled across quite by accident last winter on another trip. I think the TPA-LAX non-stops are the most convenient, but if I fly to SBA instead the overall travel time isn't much different because of cutting ~2 hours off the drive.
If you're going to do US Airways look at flying into San Luis Obispo (SBP) instead. It's much closer to Pismo than SBA. I found a pretty easy TPA-PHX-SBP routing on the day you mentioned.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianCUnited
If you're going to do US Airways look at flying into San Luis Obispo (SBP) instead. It's much closer to Pismo than SBA. I found a pretty easy TPA-PHX-SBP routing on the day you mentioned.
Thanks I'll check that out.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Let's go RAYS!
+1000
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A465 Safari/9537.53)

I remember when this route was twice daily. How things have changed..
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianCUnited
I appreciate this advice! I may just build the trip around San Luis Obispo and Pismo. Though way OT for the DL forum, this may work out better than my original plan because it means much less car time on a 4 day trip. This is why I love FT.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:14 pm

That wouldn't surprise me, especially on Saturday. Was able to hop on the non-stop LAX-TPA one Saturday morning a few weeks ago. The restroom ratio was probably better in coach than first.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:16 pm

I appreciate this advice! I may just build the trip around San Luis Obispo and Pismo. Though way OT for the DL forum, this may work out better than my original plan because it means much less car time on a 4 day trip. This is why I love FT.
Glad I could help. PM me if you want any recommendations for Pismo; my family used to rent a house on the beach every year for Thanksgiving. There is a great clam chowder place I can't think of but can dig up the name.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.