Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMiles Award levels Renamed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"Illogical nonsense"? That's a funny way to try to characterize facts considered inconvenient. Such attempted characterization is logical nonsense or illogical nonsense?

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
United and AA have called their 50k awards 'Standard' for years. Hard to fault that terminology.
AA has AAnytime awards and Mile SAAver awards, with the former 48 ConUS roundtrip award being 50k and the latter being 25k. Which one is it that AA calls the "standard" award?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
This thread is hilarious....who cares what they name them.

They still ain't releasing low seats, we're all pissed, and DL doesn't care.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
This thread is hilarious....who cares what they name them.

They still ain't releasing low seats, we're all pissed, and DL doesn't care.
DL management apparently cares quite a bit about nomenclature of "awards". They even had a thread started about this.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
It's all about "conditioning" folks.....
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by pbarnette
You simply can't consistently charge elites more than you charge non-elites. Period.
Oh but they would if they could. Remember that "glitch" where some elites got higher prices if they were logged in?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Quote:

Originally Posted by keloutwest

Actually I'm dead serious. Load factors may be at a record, but that says nothing about what potential there is for Delta should they introduce a competitive redemption program. I went with Chase instead of Amex because I realized that every time I wanted to fly somewhere free, DL didn't have low (i mean Saver)available whereas UA did. I fly paid DL for the better experience and maintain my plat status only, but use my CC points and fly UA or *A.

So DL is losing the business of flying passengers for free? That would seem to be intentional, no?
Ooh, rookie mistake (on your part). Airlines make a TON of money on their co-marketed CCs. Also the marginal cost of flying an extra passenger on a flight whose seat wouldn't have been sold anyways (award ticket) is very low.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
So partner awards now always book at saver level?
Ha. I've no doubt that partner awards will soon be quietly repriced to the new "Standard" level. But with great fanfare, we'll be told of a great enhancement of increased AF award availability, as a result of an even closer partnership.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL management apparently cares quite a bit about nomenclature of "awards". They even had a thread started about this.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by bennos
Oh but they would if they could. Remember that "glitch" where some elites got higher prices if they were logged in?
I agree that the airlines would like to price discriminate, but it isn't really possible to my mind. Not with the interweb and all.

Originally Posted by keloutwest
Ooh, rookie mistake (on your part). Airlines make a TON of money on their co-marketed CCs. Also the marginal cost of flying an extra passenger on a flight whose seat wouldn't have been sold anyways (award ticket) is very low.
1) DL looks to have roughly $1bn in demand from Amex for miles ($675m purchased each year + draw-down of $333m from the 2008 advance sale). Neither AA nor United seem to disclose their proceeds from sales to their primary credit card partner (aside from AA's disclosures on a $1bn advance sale to Citi), so it is difficult to say that DL lags in sales of miles.

2) All three legacies seem to have similar ratios of redemption pax to cash pax at around 8%, which further weakens support for the argument that DL lags in terms of mileage sales. I would also be interested in your case for DL increasing that ratio in order to drive incremental sales of mileage.

3) Your assumption that all FF redemptions are marginal to cash purchases seems a bit dubious to me, though I recognize that the airlines argue the same to their investors. AA, for example, makes explicit claims that FF redemptions don't crowd out cash purchases. Would airlines go to the trouble of making such claims if the revenue from a mileage redemption (on average) were equal to or greater than the revenue from a cash purchase? In other words, would DL prefer to be DL in your original statement (the airline you pay cash to fly) or UA (the airline from whom you purchase your ticket indirectly via your credit card company)?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, 2M United Premier Exec, Marriott Platinum
I think I will status challenge with United next year, turn in my Delta Diamond pass and see what happens next. I have logged enough miles on Delta to be a permanent Gold so what is the point in continuing with an airline that consistently disappoints in its "loyalty" program
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by woodphantom
I think I will status challenge with United next year, turn in my Delta Diamond pass and see what happens next. I have logged enough miles on Delta to be a permanent Gold so what is the point in continuing with an airline that consistently disappoints in its "loyalty" program
Your choice -gotta love the free market we have. ^
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Your choice -gotta love the free market we have. ^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso (Warning: Language)
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
That was a seriously funny/good youtube video ^
Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
This is already working on me...

I recently booked round trip to Rome as Low-Medium...kept thinking I should go back and see if I can get Low-Low.

Now that I know what I really have is Saver-Standard, I feel happy that I got one leg below Standard, instead of upset that I got one leg above Low
Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orca15
This is already working on me...

I recently booked round trip to Rome as Low-Medium...kept thinking I should go back and see if I can get Low-Low.

Now that I know what I really have is Saver-Standard, I feel happy that I got one leg below Standard, instead of upset that I got one leg above Low
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.