Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Guns stolen from Delta checked luggage (flown FNT-MSP-SEA)

Guns stolen from Delta checked luggage (flown FNT-MSP-SEA)

Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd worry about the stolen gun being used to commit a crime. Make sure to report it to the police (not just DL) immediately and get proof that this was properly reported. I would guess that you'll also need to report the theft of the gun to your police back home or wherever it's licensed.
A lot of states, including Minnesota, don't require one to license a firearm. That's more of a California and East Coast thing.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: A few
I've flown with checked firearms on DL without issue for several years, up until a couple of months ago.

In this case, departing ATL was no issue, I had a couple of pistols, a suppressor and a couple hundred rounds in a Pelican case with 2 pad locks, DL agent visually verified contents and then tagged with the extra "CAGPT - Check and give protection to" tag, then TSA did a visual inspection and swab, put the case in my checked bag and locked that bag.

Upon arriving at destination, it was sent to the baggage service office, black zip tie added around the bag and I retrieved it ... so far, so good, but my return flight didn't go so well.

Checked in for my flt back to ATL, similar DL and TSA checks, CAGPT tag attached, but this time TSA didn't want to look inside, and the bag was loaded. I get to ATL and head over to the oversized belt where they have an area for retrieving firearms, after standing there for about 40 mins the reps said they didn't have my bag. I start to head over to the baggage service office and as I'm passing the carousel for my flight, low and behold, there is my bag riding in circles with other regular bags.

As I was retrieving my bag, a red coat happened to be passing by and I asked if policies had recently changed, she saw the CAGPT tag and said no and immediately began making radio and phone calls. They added a zip tie to it and as I left, a few other DL staff had joined her and they were discussing the mishandling.

As noted by another member above, one of my pet peeves of traveling with firearms is the CAGPT "neon sign" label just screaming steal me! TSA regs state that the airline is not to label a bag to indicate a firearm is within, but I feel the CAGPT label does just that (although they are able to do so as it does not directly state that it's a firearm, and could be other high VAL).

Anyway, I'm a bit leery now, especially with a suppressor on a tax stamp.
yohanson and jinglish like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Why place the zip tie once it was in your possession?

Its a useless safety measure. All one has to do is cut it off while in the bag office.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO

Its a useless safety measure. All one has to do is cut it off while in the bag office.
Several of the reps have claimed it's a new requirement after the Florida airport shooting; I just let them do their thing, then walk away a few feet, pull out a pair of toenail clippers, snip it off and go on my way
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium

It's their feeble response to the FLL shooting. I cut it off the instant I get the bag back.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
It's their feeble response to the FLL shooting. I cut it off the instant I get the bag back.
I get it's their half thought out idea. I was meaning why put it on after the gun was already back in possession of the passenger. The post I replied to stated the gun came out on the normal bag belt. The passenger collected it, and then made a comment to DL staff. Unless I misunderstood order of events, it appears that only after this was the zip tie attached.

Basically like TSA, after noticing passenger wasn't screened, trying to scan a passenger at destination.
yohanson likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
I get it's their half thought out idea. I was meaning why put it on after the gun was already back in possession of the passenger. The post I replied to stated the gun came out on the normal bag belt. The passenger collected it, and then made a comment to DL staff. Unless I misunderstood order of events, it appears that only after this was the zip tie attached.

Basically like TSA, after noticing passenger wasn't screened, trying to scan a passenger at destination.
Correct, after discussing with the redcoat, she asked me to wait so she could follow procedure by zip tying it before I left. I was equally dumbfounded, but it appeared she was trying to follow directives

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.