Wiki Posts
Search

CRJ Being Phased Out?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
CRJ Being Phased Out?

I thought Delta was phasing out the CRJ's. This summer the SLC-MFR's were moved to CRJ 700 and CRJ 900 from the 200 series. Now it looks as if most are either 100 or 200 series? Which means no 1st class (Boo)

2 Questions that I hope someone could help answer -- Where do I find out the general aircraft schedule changes and what operates where, and is Delta really eliminating the 100 and 200 CRj's
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Download the PDF schedule from here: http://www.delta.com/schedules/trave...ched/index.jsp

Yes, DL is phasing out the 50-seaters and focusing more on larger RJs and 717s.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its going to take a while to phase most of them out. The smaller markets will have the CRJs for the longest. The question will be what happens to those small markets... will they just get cut entirely?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:18 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
While all may hate them, they do serve a useful role in some smaller markets that can't support larger aircraft. Personally, I'd rather have the larger network with CR2 service than to see them dropped altogether from the fleet. A complete elimination of the CR2 fleet would mean a lot of small destinations get dropped completely, mainly smaller communities that are a ways from another airport. This is acutely true in upper Michigan having flights to MSP and/or DTW and out West, where there are smaller markets that get CR2 service through SLC.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta is reducing the number of 50-seat RJs, but is not quickly "phasing them out."

Late last year, when DL ordered 40 more CRJ-900s, DL said this:

Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) has finalized an agreement with Bombardier Aerospace that will allow the airline to continue restructuring its domestic fleet by replacing less efficient single-class 50-seat aircraft with new two-class 76-seat aircraft. As part of the agreement, Delta will acquire 40 new CRJ900 two-class regional jets, with the option to purchase an additional 30 CRJ900 aircraft, and Bombardier will assist Delta in phasing out 60 single-class CRJ200 aircraft.
http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1809

Phasing out 60 single class CRJ200s. So how many of the Devil's Chariots will remain?

Delta spokesman Anthony Black said it isn't known yet which regional airline will fly the new planes, or which ones will be losing the 50-seaters. Delta will still have 226 of those CRJ-200s, even after it sends 60 back to Bombardier.
http://news.yahoo.com/delta-orders-7...192921711.html

226 of them. Ouch. Unless jet fuel prices suddenly spike, DL (and UA, AA and UA) will be flying some 50-seaters for many years. If fuel prices were to skyrocket, then I suspect that the big airlines would ground most of their remaining 50-seaters in short order. But with today's high (but relatively stable) fuel prices, the phase-out of 50-seaters will take years.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
http://news.yahoo.com/delta-orders-7...192921711.html

226 of them. Ouch. Unless jet fuel prices suddenly spike, DL (and UA, AA and UA) will be flying some 50-seaters for many years. If fuel prices were to skyrocket, then I suspect that the big airlines would ground most of their remaining 50-seaters in short order. But with today's high (but relatively stable) fuel prices, the phase-out of 50-seaters will take years.
I believe 226 is the initial reduction goal. I have seen other articles that indicate the number of 50 seaters will be all the way down to 125 by 2015 which will be the maximum according to the contract ratified by ALPA.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...still-lag.aspx

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 12, 2013 at 11:25 pm
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by LBJ
I believe 226 is the initial reduction goal. I have seen other articles that indicate the number of 50 seaters will be all the way down to 125 by 2015 which will be the maximum according to the contract ratified by ALPA.
Indeed. Delta reach its first goal pretty quickly, and now it has time to deal with contract negotiations for the other 100.

It's not a phase out, but a phase down.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:48 am
Taz

Programs: DL PM
If it weren't for the CRJ's, AZO would have no service at all. We've started to see some ERJ's in the past few months. They're equally miserable rides, but at least the interiors of those don't look like a beat up school bus. If the CRJ is being phased out, hopefully we'll still have the ERJ service. The airport manager keeps telling me that we're going to get the larger RJ's with 1st class cabins, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Phasing out 60 single class CRJ200s. So how many of the Devil's Chariots will remain?
Chariot implies some sort of level of class. The CRJ200 has none. It really should be named the Devil's Pinto or something like that .
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
It really should be named the Devil's Pinto or something like that .
Good thing the fuel tanks are in the wings.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Taz
If it weren't for the CRJ's, AZO would have no service at all. We've started to see some ERJ's in the past few months. They're equally miserable rides, but at least the interiors of those don't look like a beat up school bus. If the CRJ is being phased out, hopefully we'll still have the ERJ service. The airport manager keeps telling me that we're going to get the larger RJ's with 1st class cabins, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll take an ERJ over a CR2 in a heartbeat, just because of the single-seat side. I'd also be completely shocked to see anything larger than a 50-seater in AZO.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I have been noticing some subtle changes, particularly that some ROC-DTW flights now have a 1st class cabin, somenthing that wasn't there before.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taz
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
I'll take an ERJ over a CR2 in a heartbeat, just because of the single-seat side. I'd also be completely shocked to see anything larger than a 50-seater in AZO.
IMO, the future of air service to/from small towns like Kalamazoo is rather bleak. Grand Rapids is less than 50 miles away and has substantially more flight options. My guess is that people in AZO will probably have to get used to driving to GRR. At least that would be preferable to driving over 100 miles to Detroit.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
I actually like the ERJ. Pretty much guarantees no seatmate.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:58 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
The 50-seat RJ is a terrible flying experience. This is actually one area where Delta is probably leading the pack. United and AA have boatloads of these in their network. The truly small communities are the only ones that are keeping them, and the only airports where it makes "sense." But in general, the US needs to switch away from regional flying and move towards rail. It's much cheaper and more efficient. The CR9's and E170/175's are really not a bad flying experience, and are the smallest plane I will book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.