Wiki Posts
Search

No MQD for Delta Vacations flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
No MQD for Delta Vacations flights

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I was dismayed to discover that DL is not going to give MQD credit for Delta flights booked via Delta Vacations.

I typically take 2 or 3 Delta Vacations package trips each year, and always receive full MQM/mileage credit, including the usual 100% Medallion bonus. Tickets are always 006 and are always in one of the usual economy fare categories, and are on DL birds. For example, a Hawaii trip this summer was an 006 ticket number in the T fare category.

I called the Premium line yesterday and the representative could not give me a definitive answer but said she saw no reason why the flights shouldn't get MQD credit and that the best she could do was refer the issue up the chain. But when I emailed the Medallion Desk I was told definitively there would be no MQD credit because these are "bulk fare" tickets.

I know certain types of tickets including "group/tour" fares will not earn MQD's, but these are 006 tickets in one of the normal fare categories. If this exclusion is going to apply to Delta's own vacation package offerings (I know DV is MLT, but it carries the Delta name), I can't imagine any Medallion booking a trip on DV again. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this yet and I'd appreciate any additional information or thoughts you guys might have.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That would be a big slap in the face with what we were told how Delta Vacations sells tickets that earn full credit and do NOT count as consolidator or group fares when they started the reduced earning for unpublished fares.

I certainly will never book through them again if this is indeed the case.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I was dismayed to discover that DL is not going to give MQD credit for Delta flights booked via Delta Vacations.

I typically take 2 or 3 Delta Vacations package trips each year, and always receive full MQM/mileage credit, including the usual 100% Medallion bonus. Tickets are always 006 and are always in one of the usual economy fare categories, and are on DL birds. For example, a Hawaii trip this summer was an 006 ticket number in the T fare category.

I called the Premium line yesterday and the representative could not give me a definitive answer but said she saw no reason why the flights shouldn't get MQD credit and that the best she could do was refer the issue up the chain. But when I emailed the Medallion Desk I was told definitively there would be no MQD credit because these are "bulk fare" tickets.

I know certain types of tickets including "group/tour" fares will not earn MQD's, but these are 006 tickets in one of the normal fare categories. If this exclusion is going to apply to Delta's own vacation package offerings (I know DV is MLT, but it carries the Delta name), I can't imagine any Medallion booking a trip on DV again. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this yet and I'd appreciate any additional information or thoughts you guys might have.
I'm pretty skeptical of this answer. I'm sure that's what they said, but I think it's probably not reality.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Please let us know how it turns out.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I'm pretty skeptical of this answer. I'm sure that's what they said, but I think it's probably not reality.
I hope you are correct, but without further official clarification I would not be willing to pay for a DV package and just hope for the best.

Here is the direct quote from the Medallion Desk email:

"In viewing the tickets purchased through Delta Vacations they were
purchased in a bulk fare and I regret bulk fare tickets do not qualify
for mqd's."

As I mentioned in my original post, this was an 006 ticket in the T fare category, which to my previous understanding was not a "bulk fare" ticket for Medallion qualifying purposes.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Ah, another fly comes just a little too close to the zapper.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hope you are correct, but without further official clarification I would not be willing to pay for a DV package and just hope for the best.

Here is the direct quote from the Medallion Desk email:

"In viewing the tickets purchased through Delta Vacations they were
purchased in a bulk fare and I regret bulk fare tickets do not qualify
for mqd's."

As I mentioned in my original post, this was an 006 ticket in the T fare category, which to my previous understanding was not a "bulk fare" ticket for Medallion qualifying purposes.
What was the exact T fare code, including designators?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What was the exact T fare code, including designators?
They show as "Class Paid/Flown: T/T"

In my Receipts section it shows an airfare price of $964 and the following:

FARE DETAILS: SAT DL SLC S M/IT DL X/HNL DL KOA M/IT DL X/LAX DL X/MSP DL SAT M/IT USD M/IT END DL ZPSATSLCHNLKOALAXMSP XFSAT4.5SLC4.5LAX4.5 MSP4.5
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since you received full MQM credit it should also post MQD credit on what you paid for the fare. Sounds like its going to be another fight however.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....But when I emailed the Medallion Desk I was told definitively there would be no MQD credit because these are "bulk fare" tickets.....
What is shown on your eticket receipt? There should be a fare box. If it shows BLUK or IT, then the system may process it as zero fare.@:-) MQD, if eligible, may need to be added manually.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They show as "Class Paid/Flown: T/T" ....
That's your booking class, not your fare.

...FARE DETAILS: SAT DL SLC S M/IT DL X/HNL DL KOA M/IT DL X/LAX DL X/MSP DL SAT M/IT USD M/IT END DL ZPSATSLCHNLKOALAXMSP XFSAT4.5SLC4.5LAX4.5 MSP4.5
Fare calc linear shows your fare is M/IT. What is in your fare box? It may show as IT or zero.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Since you received full MQM credit it should also post MQD credit on what you paid for the fare. Sounds like its going to be another fight however.
That was my thinking also. It would be a shame to lose DV as an option for booking leisure trips because it's a quick and convenient way to do flights and hotel in one shot, and they also give Medallion discounts, bonus miles and the occasional extra like hotel breakfast or ground transport in HNL, etc.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
That's your booking class, not your fare.

Fare calc linear shows your fare is M/IT. What is in your fare box? It may show as IT or zero.
This is the full info; apologies if I wasn't complete before:

FARE DETAILS: SAT DL SLC S M/IT DL X/HNL DL KOA M/IT DL X/LAX DL X/MSP DL SAT M/IT USD M/IT END DL ZPSATSLCHNLKOALAXMSP XFSAT4.5SLC4.5LAX4.5 MSP4.5
Fare: IT
Taxes/Carrier-Imposed Fees: 91.56
Total: IT
Paid with CHECK ending 9999
Detailed Tax Information
AY 10.00
US 40.16
XF 18.00
ZP 23.40
Total: 91.56

I appreciate you guys looking into this for me; your knowledge of the DL system is vastly superior to mine!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...In my Receipts section it shows an airfare price of $964 and the following....
...FARE DETAILS: SAT DL SLC S M/IT DL X/HNL DL KOA M/IT DL X/LAX DL X/MSP DL SAT M/IT USD M/IT END DL ZPSATSLCHNLKOALAXMSP XFSAT4.5SLC4.5LAX4.5 MSP4.5
Fare: IT
Taxes/Carrier-Imposed Fees: 91.56
Total: IT
Paid with CHECK ending 9999
Detailed Tax Information
AY 10.00
US 40.16
XF 18.00
ZP 23.40
Total: 91.56...
Fare box shows IT.@:-) I don't see $964 anywhere.

System will process that as zero. The system cannot know what is not there. MQD, if eligible, will need to be added manually by referencing your DL Vacation contract. This doesn't look good.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 12, 2013 at 2:22 pm
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Edit: Thought you were talking about MQMs, not MQDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.