Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No MQD for Delta Vacations flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:19 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
This thread just reminded me to use Delta vacations and with the 75$ platinum discount i basically got a free 3 star hotel and bonus miles too They also let you put a deposit and not pay everything at once
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by TerryK
Fare box shows IT.@:-)

System will process that as zero. MQD, if eligible, will need to be added manually.
It's the eligibility that concerns me, because there has never been a problem with receiving full credit (MQM's, Medallion bonus miles, segments, etc.) for these flights in the past.

Could you explain briefly what an IT fare is? I tried googling it but was unable to find out. Thanks again; I really appreciate your assistance.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
....Could you explain briefly what an IT fare is?....
IT (Incentive Tour) or BULK is commonly shown for consolidator fares. DL provided special incentive (discount) for the fare and will not display it. The actual fare paid is in the contract with consolidator and not normally shown to customers.

Delta Vacations, which is a separate company, acted as DL consolidator in your case. Not sure about Delta, but I know United Vacations is a contracted third party travel agent, not part of UAL.

EDIT: It turns out that Delta Vacations is run by MLT Vacations. A third party travel agency which also runs United Vacations.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 12, 2013 at 2:34 pm
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

IT (Incentive Tour) or BULK is common shown for consolidator fares. DL provided special incentive (discount) for the fare and will not display it. The actual fare paid is in the contract with consolidator. DL Vacation, which is a separate company, acted as DL consolidator in your case.
Thank you for this information! Do you know if these IT tickets are usually designated as being in a regular fare category? That's why I included earlier that the ticket showed as "Flown/Paid T/T." If I understand correctly it seems like the ticket says one thing but the details in the extended fare code say another.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....Do you know if these IT tickets are usually designated as being in a regular fare category?...
IT designates the fare as a consolidator fare, not a regular fare.

.....That's why I included earlier that the ticket showed as "Flown/Paid T/T."....
I don't think that's part of your ticket. Your ticket is the email you got when you booked.

That looks like Skymiles activity record after you have flown. That's only meaningful for Skymiles and MQM accrual.

Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator, group/tour and opaque fare products will not count toward MQDs.
FAQ #6:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...lars-faqs.html

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:49 pm

DL may not be all that keen to make the opaque MQD public on a Delta Vacations purchase.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by motytrah
DL may not be all that keen to make the opaque MQD public on a Delta Vacations purchase.
Given the $ value for the US tax code, it's not that hard to figure out for domestic flights. Slightly more difficult when you have segments to Hawaii.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by motytrah
Consolidator fares are proprietary contract information between Delta and consolidators. Different consolidators may paid different fares for exactly the same itinerary, hence those fares are masked with IT or BULK to protect proprietary information.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
Given the $ value for the US tax code, it's not that hard to figure out for domestic flights. Slightly more difficult when you have segments to Hawaii.
Not so fast. How do you separate out costs for hotels, car rentals, meals, sightseeing tours etc. By contract, IT fares are not sold independently, they must include at least one land component. Some TAs do sell them stand alone by including a throw away hotel booking. Still, that cost needs to be separated out.

Don't forget there is also consolidator markup or markdown. Consolidator fares are sold at fixed contract price. TAs are free to mark it up or down to sell them. What TAs tell you, if they do tell you, about your fare may be rather different from what Delta receives under their contract. The only way to know is to have access to their proprietary consolidator contract.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate you taking the time to explain some of this to me. I was aware of the quote from the MQD FAQ regarding certain tickets not counting toward MQDs, but I thought Delta Vacations would qualify as a "Delta channel." As you probably know DV is operated by MLT Travel, but nevertheless they do business under the Delta name. It seems a little misleading to purchase a ticket from Delta Vacations only to have Delta Airlines say that they won't count the money you spent on the airfare portion of the trip. Obviously Delta is still receiving the revenue from the airfare portion of the package. Yes, I know how naive this sounds : )
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....As you probably know DV is operated by MLT Travel, but nevertheless they do business under the Delta name....
Yes, many complaints about United Vacations too. But this looks more like a complaint for FTC.@:-)

MLT Vacations, in addition to DL and UA, also operates Aeromexico Vacations, AirFrance Holidays, Alitalia Vacations and others. They do business under many names.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Not so fast. How do you separate out costs for hotels, car rentals, meals, sightseeing tours etc. By contract, IT fares are not sold independently, they must include at least one land component. Some TAs do sell them stand alone by including a throw away hotel booking. Still, that cost needs to be separated out.

Don't forget there is also consolidator markup or markdown. Consolidator fares are sold at fixed contract price. TAs are free to mark it up or down to sell them. What TAs tell you, if they do tell you, about your fare may be rather different from what Delta receives under their contract. The only way to know is to have access to their proprietary consolidator contract.
Detailed Tax Information
AY 10.00
US 40.16
XF 18.00
ZP 23.40
Total: 91.56
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point.^ I guess that works for continental USA flights. My experience with consolidator fares are mostly for international.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point.^ I guess that works for continental USA flights. My experience with consolidator fares are mostly for international.
Yes, continental USA, or Hawaii with a little more work. It does not work for int'l.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
I appreciate you taking the time to explain some of this to me. I was aware of the quote from the MQD FAQ regarding certain tickets not counting toward MQDs, but I thought Delta Vacations would qualify as a "Delta channel." As you probably know DV is operated by MLT Travel, but nevertheless they do business under the Delta name. It seems a little misleading to purchase a ticket from Delta Vacations only to have Delta Airlines say that they won't count the money you spent on the airfare portion of the trip. Obviously Delta is still receiving the revenue from the airfare portion of the package. Yes, I know how naive this sounds : )
Yes, many complaints about United Vacations too. But this looks more like a complaint for FTC.@:-)

MLT Vacations, in addition to DL and UA, also operates Aeromexico Vacations, AirFrance Holidays, Alitalia Vacations and others. They do business under many names.
http://www.mltvacations.com/employment/index.html

MLT Vacations is a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta Air Lines, with a more than 40-year history of making vacations the best they can be.
http://www.mltvacations.com/contactus/index.html

MLT Vacations
700 Central Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30354
I don't know Atlanta, but notice from Google Maps that the closest cross street is Virginia Ave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.