Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

International Upgrade?

DISCLAIMER: I know, I know, I know. If I want F... pay for F.

I'm a Platinum Medallion traveling on a 777-200LR from ATL to JNB on a V class economy fare. Coach seat chart shows "All seats on this flight are currently occupied in your class of service". Business Elite is showing 11 seats of 45 open. Any chance I could get an operational upgrade? Any chance the gate agent would let me grab one if open? Any chance free money, unicorns, rainbows, and delicious cake would rain down from heaven into my waiting arms / mouth?

Any chance the flight is overbooked and I could take a bump to fly on KLM or Air France metal?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Yes, there is a chance if coach is full that you will get an OPUP
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron
Yes, there is a chance if coach is full that you will get an OPUP
What if I have a seat assignment?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
Any chance the gate agent would let me grab one if open? Any chance free money, unicorns, rainbows, and delicious cake would rain down from heaven into my waiting arms / mouth?

Any chance the flight is overbooked and I could take a bump to fly on KLM or Air France metal?
I'd say your chances of an opup are far better than encountering a unicorn. You should be well placed on the list if opups are needed anyway. I wouldn't ask for the opup, if you annoy the GA enough you could get skipped over. A bump to KLM or AF would probably only happen if the entire plane was oversold, not just economy.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Seat maps aren't a good indicator of loads. Remember too that some seats are blocked for airport/gate assignment.

Better information is to check how many tickets, if any, DL is still willing to sell in various fare classes. You can check EF or (somewhat less precisely) try to do dummy bookings (advanced search by fare class) of various numbers of tickets at different fare classes on delta.dumb.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Seat maps aren't a good indicator of loads. Remember too that some seats are blocked for airport/gate assignment.

Better information is to check how many tickets, if any, DL is still willing to sell in various fare classes. You can check EF or (somewhat less precisely) try to do dummy bookings (advanced search by fare class) of various numbers of tickets at different fare classes on delta.dumb.
Here's what's listed now per KVS Tool:

J6 C3 D3 I3 Z3 Y1 B0 M0 S0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Here's what's listed now per KVS Tool:

J6 C3 D3 I3 Z3 Y1 B0 M0 S0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
To me, this says that the flight is overbooked in coach (by a lot, but sales of full Y tickets haven't yet stopped) and has only 6 open BE seats.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, this says that the flight is overbooked in coach (by a lot, but sales of full Y tickets haven't yet stopped) and has only 6 open BE seats.
P.S. Delta.dumb is willing to sell to me 4 Y class tickets. When I jump to 5 seats, it will only sell me J class tickets.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

P.S. Delta.dumb is willing to sell to me 4 Y class tickets. When I jump to 5 seats, it will only sell me J class tickets.
I would guess 10% chance of opup to BE, less than 1/10th of 1% chance to bump to KL/AF.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
If the flight is Y1, a few people will most likely get an op-up. Will that be you? It depends on the mysterious op-up procedure. Most likely, if no DMs are on the flight then you'd get it.

YMMV
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I've encountered the situation where Y is oversold and they are willing to sell only a specific amount of J seats when there are plenty more. I've seen it twice in a short international route (JFK-SDQ) where, despite of having only 2 seats assigned on the seat map, they were only selling 3-4 seats. The day of the flight the cabin was filled with op-ups and complimentary upgrades. But of course, this is for a route where most travelers don't buy seats in J, so in OP's situation this might not be the case.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
50:50 is what I would put your chances at.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM
over 25 available to be assigned in back... will keep fingers crossed for you

Last edited by flightattendantsteve; Sep 12, 2013 at 3:42 pm
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve
over 25 available to be assigned in back... will keep fingers crossed for you
Did I miss something, I don't see where OP listed a flight date. Do you predict lottery #s for unknown dates as well?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:39 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
DISCLAIMER: I know, I know, I know. If I want F... pay for F.

I'm a Platinum Medallion traveling on a 777-200LR from ATL to JNB on a V class economy fare. Coach seat chart shows "All seats on this flight are currently occupied in your class of service". Business Elite is showing 11 seats of 45 open. Any chance I could get an operational upgrade? Any chance the gate agent would let me grab one if open? Any chance free money, unicorns, rainbows, and delicious cake would rain down from heaven into my waiting arms / mouth?

I will recommend what I did here (link below) to talk my way into an OP-UP as an FO FRA-DTW.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rds-delta.html

Learned this a long time ago who from my dad who was an airline pilot for 30+ years.

Do keep us updated on what happens!

I look at this as the same way I look at every encounter I have in business and my personal life: If you make someone's job easier for them....good things can and will happen.

Good luck!

Last edited by 355F1; Sep 12, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.