Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What happened on my red-eye SFO-JFK last night

Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold

First time signing up for an account and posting on here. The preferential treatment of my seatmate last night prompted me to want to post this to get some insight around the situation.

Flew the late red-eye #2340 SFO-JFK last night on a 75E with the BE product. I was seated in 18E in the EC section and thought until the door was about to close that I might have the seat next to me (18D) open. Just as the door was about to close the passenger with that seat assignment boarded. Two flight attendants were standing in front of their seat near the mini-galley that's right there and the passenger barked at the flight attendant with his back to him "EXCUSE ME." The flight attendant turned around with a blank look on his face as though the passenger had asked 5x already. It was odd. However, it was a late flight so I thought maybe he was just tired and had a long day. Due to being late to board, the overhead bin space was full and the flight attendant offered to assist the passenger and put their backpack over row 4 in BE (more about this later).

After we took off, the "Flight Leader" or whatever DL calls their Purser came back to the passenger, knelt down and started whispering something to him. All I could hear out of the conversation was "pizza." The FL (flight leader) leaves and comes back and gives the passenger a pair of Bose headphones and what looked to be an amenity kit with the brand Tumi written on the black box. He then left and came back with a tray with a personal pizza on it and some wine. Nobody else in EC was given any extra attention, let alone any type of BE offerings, yet this passenger was. I assumed at this point one of two things happened:

1). He was involuntarily downgraded out of BE and they were doing what they could for service recovery? But I pretty much eliminated that theory simply due to the fact that I booked this ticket weeks ago and that particular EC seat was already booked (not blocked, I looked on EF). So I assumed this passenger was the initial owner of the seat.

2). We just had a really good FL whom maybe recognized this passenger from previous JFK transcons and wanted to go the extra mile?

Back to the backpack over row 4. Each time the passenger wanted something out of their backpack, they summoned a flight attendant and requested they get the black backpack out of the overhead and bring it to them. Now this really irked me. First off, we were sitting no more than 2 feet from that bin...who was this passenger that they couldn't bother to get this themselves? I could clearly see 50% of the BE cabin from my seat and not once did I see any flight attendants fetching personal items out of the overheads for any of those passengers.

I'm just curious if anyone has seen this happen also or has any insight as to why this passenger got such special treatment?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Can't speak to other stuff, but they sometimes make a big deal of Y passengers going into the F/J cabin, so I could see them fetching for him.

And there is no way to be sure he was the one who had booked the seat next to you. It's possible the original 18D was upgraded into the latecomers BE seat and when the latecomer finally showed up, they gave him the (now) empty 18D.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Can't speak to other stuff, but they sometimes make a big deal of Y passengers going into the F/J cabin, so I could see them fetching for him.

And there is no way to be sure he was the one who had booked the seat next to you. It's possible the original 18D was upgraded into the latecomers BE seat and when the latecomer finally showed up, they gave him the (now) empty 18D.
I guess, but I got up at least twice and got things out of my backpack which was also above row 4. It's easy to stand in the aisle and retrieve stuff out of that overhead bin without really entering the BE cabin.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
My money is on an involuntary downgrade.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Mr Hudson perhaps?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Non-rev?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
The Pope?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by james318
The Pope?
You can be the president, I'd rather be Thomas Hudson.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:41 pm
Used to be hamajicky

mbwmbw is my guess
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by HongKonger
You can be the president, I'd rather be Thomas Hudson.
As long as I get Gin I don't care who I am.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chalky White
mbwmbw is my guess
Still learning the lingo. What does mbwmbw mean?

And I appreciate the humor from the other posters. Some might think my question and what I experienced was silly, but I'm truly interested in understanding what this might have been.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL GM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Still learning the lingo. What does mbwmbw mean?

And I appreciate the humor from the other posters. Some might think my question and what I experienced was silly, but I'm truly interested in understanding what this might have been.
mbwmbw is a user on the forum
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Chalky White
mbwmbw is my guess
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Probably an involuntary downgrade of a high status passenger.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
No nonrev in 18D and 1 DM was upgraded to Biz on the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.