Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-LAX upgrades on 767s

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
JFK-LAX upgrades on 767s

Now that there's multiple daily flights JFK-LAX with the 76W fleet, and these have a lot more BE seats than the 75E's (and a better ratio), have people found these to be better for upgrades?

This route has been ridiculously hard before. I wonder if this has eased things a bit.

Would love to hear from Diamonds/Plats who are on this routing.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: DL 1MM/DM, SPG Platinum, Pete's Brass Rail & Car Wash Beer Club
Originally Posted by stevekstevek
Now that there's multiple daily flights JFK-LAX with the 76W fleet, and these have a lot more BE seats than the 75E's (and a better ratio), have people found these to be better for upgrades?

This route has been ridiculously hard before. I wonder if this has eased things a bit.

I fly this route every week (Sun/Thurs), and only select flights on the 76W. I am a Diamond and only book Q fares, and I’m upgraded around 90% of the time.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta SM, 1MM; Alaska Gold 100K
Originally Posted by stevekstevek

My limited experience so far in 2013:

In May, K fare with SWU, same-day return. JFK-LAX, cleared two days before. LAX-JFK cleared at gate.

July 4th, attempt to burn 32,500 miles. Upgraded both directions at gate.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thx. It seems these days that I can always get LUTVX fares, but hoping that as a soon-to-be DM, I might see a reasonable upgrade %.

Although, coach in EC on the widebodies seems better than coach on the 757's.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
I've flown six or seven 76Ws on this route and have not once missed the upgrade... Not that I missed many 75Es beforehand.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any PM experiences?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by amolkold
Any PM experiences?
PM on Q far on Tuesday 9/3 (3:30pm flight) I was #7 for 12 open seats and I got the upgrade.

Return 9/5, LAX - JFK (Q) I was #17 for 11 seats on the 9:15pm red eye. Did not get the upgrade.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Looks like SWUs would be a good idea if PM buying K+ on the redeye.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Delta Platinum
JFK-LAX Upgrade chance on Sunday?

I'm a PM, just booked my trip from JFK to LAX on Sunday couple weeks from now, wondering what kind of upgrade chance would be on first Sunday morning flight with U fare on 7 am 767?

I was #1 out of 17 for 20 open seats on Labor Day's 7 am 767 flight with V fare, but since there has been 9 out of 26 seats occupied at the front this time I wounder what kind of upgrade chance would be as a PM?

I've a brother who got a FO status from me with V fare on the same day 6 pm 767 to LAX, I'm trying to convince him to either switch to 7 am or 9 pm on 767 to get better upgrade chance, should him take 9 pm or 7 am or its better to stay with his currently flight at 6 pm?

Also, does anyone knows SkyClub at T4's rooftop hours?

Thanks

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Sep 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm Reason: Merged into existing thread
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Fare class, timing, other elites on the flight, etc. all impact upgrades.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Sep 9, 2013 at 3:36 pm Reason: Removed link no longer needed
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
For DMs, I think the 767s would be near 100%.

For PMs (like me), I would think it would raise our chances from about 15% to around 50%. As noted above, fare class and time/day will be a key determinant. I am 1/1 so far this year on the 767s and 1/7 on the 757s.

Oddly, my favorite two flights are still 757s -- the 5:00 JFK-LAX flight, and the ever popular 4:00 LAX-JFK flight (a/k/a the "consultant flight" on Thursdays). I do this roundtrip about 6 times a year, and I am going to start taking the 3:00 outbound flight since it's a 767, but really like the 4:00 return, and that one is often tough to even get an EC seat that isn't a middle seat.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Took two 767's on this route recently, one as a PM, one as a DM, both on the fares you get a week or two out, which were pretty low (U or T I believe).

As a PM on a 76W, I was #13 for 12 seats, and then I got pulled from coach and got the last seat in J. That was pretty nice -- never happened to me before.

As a DM on what turned out to be a ratty-old-76G, I was #3 of maybe 40 people on the list for 13 seats.

I'm guessing as High Technology wrote above, I should be pretty much a lock as a DM, unless IRROPS happens.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
As a Diamond on a Y or B fare I am usually 100% on these routes. Typically I am #1 on the list, especially if on a Y fare. I also have Delta Reserve card which helps.

Other pro tip: get a odd number seat. 3A or 3D are my personal favorites.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by mbwmbw
As a Diamond on a Y or B fare I am usually 100% on these routes. Typically I am #1 on the list, especially if on a Y fare. I also have Delta Reserve card which helps.

Other pro tip: get a odd number seat. 3A or 3D are my personal favorites.
Tongue in cheek I presume.

Y fares on JFK-LAX are $2800...why not just pay a few hundred more to get the seat in biz locked.

It will probably kill you to know many corporate contracts pay just $2000 for J roundtrip on this route - with full flex and last seat availability.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Tongue in cheek I presume.

Y fares on JFK-LAX are $2800...why not just pay a few hundred more to get the seat in biz locked.

It will probably kill you to know many corporate contracts pay just $2000 for J roundtrip on this route - with full flex and last seat availability.
Policy says I can't buy that. Have to buy fully refundable economy fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.