Wiki Posts
Search

How does one handle a mileage run?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
How does one handle a mileage run?

SO is going to make a MR while we are in the US to make PM. Plans on doing PIT>MSP>LAS>MSP>PIT, same day. 12/10/13 returning 12/10/13

Question is, she has a short turn around in LAS, arrives at 10:40am, departs 11:34am, same plane I believe, B757N-200.

They won't be able to print a boarding pass in PIT for the return legs until she arrives in LAS. What's to keep the GA in LAS from thinking she is not flying since she can't check in until she arrives in LAS and giving her FC seat (paid) away?

Obviously she won't be able to go to the ticket desk and re clear security in that short amount of time. The GA can print her boarding pass as there is no Sky Club there in LAS.

How do others handle this type of situation?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:16 pm

Fly Delta App. Or, have the gate agent print a new BP. As long as she's checked in, it should be fine.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I have done a few MR. In general, you will be able to get all of your boarding passes at initial check in (mobile, web, airport, etc). On one of mine, there was a "security" issue and it wouldn't generate the return. It doesn't matter though. Any agent can check in a passenger. If she doesn't get it in PIT, then ask any agent in MSP. If she doesn't get it in MSP, ask any agent in LAS.

Believe me, as a former agent, no agent is going to be even looking at a flight until 1 hour prior when they open it up. They cannot restrict check in and drop seats until 30 prior (in most airports). Her electronic ticket record will show the other segments as checked in and flown.

I wouldn't worry about it and just ask in MSP if you don't get a BP in PIT.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Yeah, this is not a problem. Be checked in for everything (why can't she check in before LAS? Even if you gotta, get an hour of Gogo and check in while on the way to LAS). Get a new BP printed when you get off the plane. Any agent anywhere can print one. Or, as suggested, DL mobile app.

Also it may or may not be the same exact plane. Make sure she knows exactly what gate she's arriving at and departing from. LAS isn't tough to make short connections like this (as if people connect in LAS), but one can easily get distracted by all the pretty blinking and dinging things in the terminal. Again, Gogo is your friend here.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At worst, you can check in on the DL app via cellphone on the runway, either when leaving MSP (after the flight has closed) or upon landing at LAS. It's an advantage of the new electronic device policy.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
As others have said, checking in from an app or a laptop on the plane using Gogo is possible. The GA can print a BP or she can use the mobile BP.

However, IME quick turns are treated a lot like a multi-city instead of a round-trip with a distinct outbound and return. When she checks in for her first flight, she'll likely be checked in for the first three segments - PIT-MSP, MSP-LAS, and LAS-MSP and get boarding passes for all three.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by tkey75
Yeah, this is not a problem. Be checked in for everything (why can't she check in before LAS? Even if you gotta, get an hour of Gogo and check in while on the way to LAS). Get a new BP printed when you get off the plane. Any agent anywhere can print one. Or, as suggested, DL mobile app.

Also it may or may not be the same exact plane. Make sure she knows exactly what gate she's arriving at and departing from. LAS isn't tough to make short connections like this (as if people connect in LAS), but one can easily get distracted by all the pretty blinking and dinging things in the terminal. Again, Gogo is your friend here.
You won't even have to buy the gogo. DL.com and the DL app are both free in flight (at least it is when DL.com is actually up and running).
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice. For some reason she has never been able to check in online. They want her to show her credit card at the ticket desk every time, not sure why. I just figured the same thing would happen again as usual for her, so not sure if that will affect her being able to check in on the mobile app after her first 2 segments arriving in LAS.

Only see one 757 at LAS so pretty sure it's the exact same plane.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by craig44485
Thanks for all the great advice. For some reason she has never been able to check in online. They want her to show her credit card at the ticket desk every time, not sure why. I just figured the same thing would happen again as usual for her, so not sure if that will affect her being able to check in on the mobile app after her first 2 segments arriving in LAS.

Only see one 757 at LAS so pretty sure it's the exact same plane.
Showing credit card at ticket desk is an anti-fraud measure. May have something to do with country of issuing bank.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
If she just explains what she is doing when she checks in at PIT, the agent there should be able to verify her CC and check her into all of the flights. The one time I did a segment run, the kiosk checked me in for all segments and spat out all BPs at once.

Also, as long as she is checked in for the flight, she can use the BP for any leg to board any other leg if it's on the same PNR. When she scans it at the gate, the scanner will just spit out the correct seat assignment for that flight.

Last resort, she ought to be able to just check in with the GA at LAS without leaving security (might be a good call to do this anyway just to make sure nothing went wacky). I did this once when I landed at ATL and was greeted with a VM from my office saying that while I was in the air, they had bought me a ticket to just continue on HOU or somewhere that they had done a last minute rescheduling (that was a relatively terrible week...).
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I have done a few MR. In general, you will be able to get all of your boarding passes at initial check in (mobile, web, airport, etc).
That's not been my experience. 90% of the time when I check in for a AAA-BBB-CCC-BBB-AAA mileage run the kiosk, agent, app, whatever will only print the outbound AAA-BBB-CCC boarding passes of the trip. It seems the system won't let you check in for the return until you've completed the outbound.

That being said, once you arrive in CCC (in this case LAS for the OP) just stop by an in-terminal kiosk and check in for the return of your trip. If that doesn't work the gate agent can help you out. Don't worry they see this all the time and it's rare to even get questioned about why you need a BP printed while you're air side.

Happy running! you'll enjoy platinum especially if you travel TATL often. free econ comfort is nice.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The OP could kindly monitor his SO's progress on the MR and try to do OLCI for her when she's in flight, telling delta.dumb that she'll either use the iphone app boarding pass (via tet message?) or will pick up a printed boarding pass at the airport.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Checking in at Gate

I've checking in at the gate several times on same day mileage runs to LAS. Given all the other options that have been presented, the only problem is if your incoming flight from MSP is on time.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:04 am
Original Poster

"Also, as long as she is checked in for the flight, she can use the BP for any leg to board any other leg if it's on the same PNR. When she scans it at the gate, the scanner will just spit out the correct seat assignment for that flight."

Is this correct? Could she use her BP from MSP>LAS when boarding and it will automatically print out her correct seat assignment? What about the final leg MSP>PIT? Same deal there?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by craig44485
Is this correct? Could she use her BP from MSP>LAS when boarding and it will automatically print out her correct seat assignment? What about the final leg MSP>PIT? Same deal there?
Correct. As long as she is checked in properly, she can even use her FF card to board. The machine will spit out a mini BP for her.

Warning - some GAs are not aware that this will work, so be prepared for some blank stares if you try this. But it will work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.