Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) now reported on delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) now reported on delta.com

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Orion316
I really don't understand why DL wouldn't just increase the MQD requirements by a bit (~15-20%) and count all money spent, including taxes and fees. Separating taxes and fees is difficult for consumers and makes the already unpopular system even more unpopular, plus it's *much* harder to spot discrepancies. My guess it would've been easier for IT as well. Maybe if we overwhelm them with MQD complaints/questions once the system goes live, they'll come to their senses.
Same question asked many times, same answer...

Airlines (this is really not a DL issue) can control airfares but they have no control over taxes. Indeed, there is currently a proposal for the feds to raise taxes again. In theory, they could one day be 50% of total airfare and there is nothing the airlines can do about it.

When you make a retail purchase, the company records the revenue from the goods/service as a purchase but the taxes are recorded as a liability. They do not count taxes in revenue because the money does not belong to them. No different whether an airline or Starbucks.

True, more difficult for consumers but so far it seems DL IT has a handle on it.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:06 am
k2

Originally Posted by uitailgater
I also don't seem to be getting MQDs for flights in Delta Vacations packages. I figured this would count as purchasing "through a Delta channel", but I guess it does match with the way SkyBonus points are (not) credited for DV flights.
This does appear to be the case. Our agent will sometimes book int'l BE via Delta Vacations to save $1k to $2k off what would normally be an $8k-$10k fare. So it's not like these BE tickets are "cheap" - they book into the I bucket, are 006 stock via a DL 'channel' and earn full MQMs - but zero MQDs.

If this is DL's intended policy they had better make it clear on the DV page or the MQD fine print.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
I'm with you two and any others who say it.

But I hope this means that we can finally take this as proof positive that Delta's IT dept can actually pull off functionality when it wants to and stop wondering "when the award calendar will be fixed."

It works exactly as they want it to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLdweeb

I never thought I'd say it, but kudos to DL IT for getting this done in a timely and (so far) accurate manner....

Quote:

Originally Posted by HongKonger

Let's give DL credit for getting this up on the site with 1/3 of the year still remaining so people can get used to it and adjust accordingly and so any kinks can be worked out.

And OT. but while I"m here....I've always been under the impression that craps is the best odds in the house. I've definitely done a lot better at that table than any other.

Quote:

If the players knew what they're doing they wouldn't be playing...

Craps played optimally has the lowest house edge, but there is still a house edge.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM
But so what?

All this is is an imaginary line in the sand.

And why do DLs accounting problems become our accounting problems.

What if DL cuts a deal with a small local airport to subsidize service to that market. Could it be considered a rebate on facility charges? Or what other way does it get filed on DLs tax returns?

Do people who flew into that airport get bonus MQDs?

Or any number of imaginary scenarios?

They basically are saying - "Hey flyer - to qualify, you have to spend his much money...But not really this much money."

The only argument I can imagine is that DL is positioning itself to compete with UA and AA when they bring their $$ schemes on board so they their numbers look lower by comparison.

"Hey, you only need 50000 MQM and $5,000 MQD to qualify over there and those guys want you to get 50K and $6250!"

But they don't want to be on the low end... their actual goal is to be on the high end.

Kafka would be proud (or maybe nauseated).

I like DL and I've stuck with the airline for years because of the things I like, and I will continue to as long as it works for me, but I find this strategy of confusion puzzling and off-putting.

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Same question asked many times, same answer...

Airlines (this is really not a DL issue) can control airfares but they have no control over taxes. Indeed, there is currently a proposal for the feds to raise taxes again. In theory, they could one day be 50% of total airfare and there is nothing the airlines can do about it.

When you make a retail purchase, the company records the revenue from the goods/service as a purchase but the taxes are recorded as a liability. They do not count taxes in revenue because the money does not belong to them. No different whether an airline or Starbucks.

True, more difficult for consumers but so far it seems DL IT has a handle on it.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Another small data point - YQ/YR paid on award tickets (issued 006 stock on CZ/MH metal) do not accrue MQD.

Not a surprise, but thought it was relevant.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:47 am
k2

Craps played optimally has the lowest house edge, but there is still a house edge.
Theoretically, could they put a craps table (or any gaming) on int'l flights?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:56 am

Interesting data point-
I bought a ticket for me and a family member using a single $400 VDB voucher in my name. The tickets were $249 each. Family member ended up not being able to travel with me, and got an e-credit for the $99 that I paid with CC.

I received 384 MQD for my $249 ticket. Looks like the balance of the voucher in my name counts as my MQD, even when applied to another passenger.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
One of my segments posted from yesterday and now my MQD is at $8,112 (It was $7,964 I think...I'd have to look back in this thread to know exactly). So I'm guessing my trip to SIN and DPS next month aren't included in my MQD total.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
One of my segments posted from yesterday and now my MQD is at $8,112 (It was $7,964 I think...I'd have to look back in this thread to know exactly). So I'm guessing my trip to SIN and DPS next month aren't included in my MQD total.
Are the MQMs from the trip next month included in your MQM total?

MQDs don't post until the flight is flown.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Are the MQMs from the trip next month included in your MQM total?

MQDs don't post until the flight is flown.
I see that now. I also have a couple of work trips that I haven't flown and I'm sure there are more to come. So that tells me I shouldn't worry at all about hitting DM on MQD spent next year and I should plan on keeping my travel the same as it has been for the past few years. Namely, do my regular work flying and throw in a couple of cheap long haul international vacation runs.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
,I like DL and I've stuck with the airline for years because of the things I like, and I will continue to as long as it works for me, but I find this strategy of confusion puzzling and off-putting.
I agree. The number of hoops and rules are getting to become a huge PITA, and I just don't have the time to keep track of this constantly (even a great benefit as upgrading on AF has turned into a pain). For MQDs, I have to simplify my life, and I'm taking the simple out and getting a DL Amex and meeting the spend threshold.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I agree. The number of hoops and rules are getting to become a huge PITA, and I just don't have the time to keep track of this constantly (even a great benefit as upgrading on AF has turned into a pain). For MQDs, I have to simplify my life, and I'm taking the simple out and getting a DL Amex and meeting the spend threshold.
It's indeed good not to have to worry about missing the MQD requirement, but my guess is that if DL is tracking this, they're using it for scoring customers so that missing the MQDs required for DM means no Porsche for you, etc.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
and here I was worried about this requirement (never really added the $$ up before)...I have more than enough $$$ for Platinum but will just make gold as I usually do
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Well I just got the email from DL saying MQDs are live etc.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wonder if its worth contacting DL to get the MQD total fixed for flights that posted incorrectly this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.