Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Domestic to International connections at SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2013, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

I have a connection on a flight from SLC to SFO with an international connection to NRT. It looks as though most of the early flights land at terminal C (40 or 48) and fight to NRT is out of International A10. There is only a 2 hour layover and it looks like you have to leave security and return through security at A. What is the best way to connect between these two points and can you connect without leaving the building like at LAX or can you just continue through indoor lobbies, or what is the best and fastest route? This connection has a "shaky" recent history (I think skywest now) and will be Compass in Feb when I go to NRT... anyone have experience with this specific early morning connection? Thanks for your help here.

Anyone miss this connection.... how was it resolved for you.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:09 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cruise2006
I have a connection on a flight from SLC to SFO with an international connection to NRT. It looks as though most of the early flights land at terminal C (40 or 48) and fight to NRT is out of International A10. There is only a 2 hour layover and it looks like you have to leave security and return through security at A. What is the best way to connect between these two points and can you connect without leaving the building like at LAX or can you just continue through indoor lobbies, or what is the best and fastest route? This connection has a "shaky" recent history (I think skywest now) and will be Compass in Feb when I go to NRT... anyone have experience with this specific early morning connection? Thanks for your help here.

You will need to exit security and either walk to the international terminal (15 min walk) or ride the air train, which is probably 10-15 minutes as well. You will then need to re clear security at the international terminal. I usually prefer walking because its not a bad walk at all, but if you have lots of luggage the air train may be a better bet.

The biggest concern at SFO in the morning is the fog. It's hit or miss and can cause delays. If you missed your connection I imagine they would get you to LAX and on to NRT from there but it's impossible to speculate how they will handle IROPS.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium

Fog won't be much of a worry in February, but if there are clouds and/or rain, your flight out of SLC could be a victim of flow control. It's an easy walk from C to A and I don't think security will be much of an issue either.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:43 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
. . . . . in Feb. . . . .
This is the key. You will have anywhere from 4 to 8 schedule changes between now and February. Either the layover will increase a little, giving you a better comfort zone, or it'll decrease, giving you the option to rebook to a longer layover, or possibly even reroute to NRT via another DL west coast hub.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I have had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with this flight and connection. Sat in the SLC terminal for 30 minutes waiting for flow control. Then waited another 30 minutes on the tarmac. We got in to SFO with less than 30 min to catch our flight. Then we learned we had to go from one terminal to another - one of the few times I have actually walked at a fast pace - a run for many - between flights. The TSA line was mess. We actually asked to skip the line which they allowed us to do. We ended up being one of the last to board but made the flight.

That was the good part. The bad news - the ground crew decided to send two of our three bags to the carousel instead of our flight. Needless to say they did not make the flight as they had to reclear TSA. We did not find out until 12 hours latter when we landed in GUM (after NRT) - with one more flight to go. Props to the baggage hander in GUM who did a great job and got our bags on the next flight as such we did not lose out too much. She was thanked as well as was the station mgr informed. The Delta baggage rep in GA got an earful.

So based on that - hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I would think that LAX, SEA, or PDX would be less chancy than SFO in the winter. At least you have some options in case of IRROPS.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Thanks for all the quick replys... I should have known from past experience that there will be changes between now and then... this biggest problem at slc will be if they have to de-ice in the early morning hours. My estimates about the connection were well founded based on your comments... this isn't much different than LAX I suppose... I flow in and out of there, but never SFO... so thanks for the help. There is only one flight a day from NRT to SIN that also has to be connected...ugh. Will they use partners for the NRT to SIN if they do so from SFO or later flight from LAX?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I would just fly to SFO the night before, stay at an airport hotel and relax.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:51 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
There is only one flight a day from NRT to SIN that also has to be connected...ugh.
I think every flight from the US mainland to NRT connects up with every outbound DL flight to cities within Asia. They come in in a large bank - and turn around and leave in a large bank.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I had my NRT SIN flight departure held due to late inbound passengers from SFO NRT flight.

2 hours is plenty of time for domestic C arrival to Intl A departure with security recheck. I am at A Skyclub within 20 minutes of C arrival for NRT departure on DL209.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tentseller
2 hours is plenty of time for domestic C arrival to Intl A departure with security recheck. I am at A Skyclub within 20 minutes of C arrival for NRT departure on DL209.
Agree if SLC-SFO is on time. But that is a BIG if at SFO with cloud cover. It rains frequently in February in SF. And the last time I checked, it can snow in SLC in February. Unless OP doesn't mind rolling the dice, I would never risk a two hour domestic to a once-a-day TPAC connection at SFO. Fly in the night before.

And the SFO situation is likely to get worse before it gets better...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...e-lowered.html

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 25, 2013 at 5:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.