Wiki Posts
Search

What recourse might I have here?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
What recourse might I have here?

If this is the wrong forum, apologies - please move it!

So, my daughter is heading to SFO to college. The day before we go, we're packing the car and realise there's no way to get four people in. So, I go to Delta (using the DM dial number) and book two first class seats from LAX to SFO for my wife and my elder disabled daughter. No seat numbers were given but the rep said 'they were blocked but available'. The tickets (for a last minute booking were not bad price, $230 for first vs. $215 for coach - no brainer as my daughter needs a wide seat).

Getting to the airport, check in 90 minutes before, no seats. My wife goes to the gate, gets seats and gets on the plane.

Without any explanation, apology or warning she's in economy. First is full. The gate agent is on the plane, said that there was a problem locating the booking but there was nothing that she could do. My daughter spent an uncomfortable hour flying up.

So, no apology, no acknowledgement at all and despite having a printout of the first class booking Delta probably stacked the front with Medallions and shoved my two infrequent flyers down the back.

On top of that the flight was 50 minutes late. The next one was only 10 minutes after this.

What should I expect?

Last edited by tanglin; Aug 22, 2013 at 10:14 am Reason: Added bit about delay.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Sorry to hear that. I find it strange that seats in F would be blocked off. Someone should have been able to force a seat assignment.

Either way you certainly have a valid complaint. You bought first class tickets. You can complaint by the web form or the phone. They will deposit miles in your wife's and daughter's SM accounts (if they have one) or maybe give a voucher. That's the best you're going to do.

Also I suggest you make sure they have assigned seats for the trip back.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL GM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond
You can expect to get refunded the difference in cost between first class and coach. The flight was an hour long though so I don't understand how you are so up in arms about it.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Absolutely you have a valid complaint. You paid for F and they were seated in Y. You are owed a refund for the difference in fare, and I would also be asking for additional miles as compensation for the inconvenience and hassle with being bumped to the back.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by IPAfan5
You can expect to get refunded the difference in cost between first class and coach. The flight was an hour long though so I don't understand how you are so up in arms about it.
I'd be annoyed too - OP paid for FC and didn't get it, even if the flight was only an hour.

What the OP is likely to get is $30, the difference in fare for each seat. They might throw miles or an extra voucher his way, but I'd call that unlikely.

Also, I'd always make sure that you assign your seat on DL.com when you buy your seat - the UI allows for it. If there are no available seats at the time of purchase, call DL immediately and try to get one assigned. Check again when checking in online to make sure your seat is still assigned.

However, there are always snafus. I was on a flight on Monday on an A330 where they switched the aircraft by mistake in the computer system (-200 to -300, when aircraft was -200), and there was a huge mess upon boarding as people were assigned seats that didn't physically exist....
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:50 am

Is this the new LAX-SFO shuttle? Sounds like DL is off to a good start.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:55 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
WFBF.

Oh, wait...
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Isn't there a 100 post minimum before making inane apologist comments?

Seriously, the OP bought first and had a right to expect it. He also referenced his daughter's disability and told us that she needed a larger seat. In other words, he did everything that we would have told him to do in regard to class of service.

Fare difference and a $200 voucher per affected passenger sounds about right.

Mike
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
There are medical reasons why someone may have difficulty in a coach seat regardless of the length of the flight. If his disabled daughter needed the F seat for a legitimate reason, medically prescribed or otherwise, the point is that he paid for F and should have received F. Otherwise, he's due at a minimum an apology and a refund for the difference in price between F and Y.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat US G Delta G
Originally Posted by jsmith50
There are medical reasons why someone may have difficulty in a coach seat regardless of the length of the flight. If his disabled daughter needed the F seat for a legitimate reason, medically prescribed or otherwise, the point is that he paid for F and should have received F. Otherwise, he's due at a minimum an apology and a refund for the difference in price between F and Y.
this.

i might take a read through the contract of carriage too.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:48 pm

Almost certainly it was an -UP fare of some sort that wasn't disclosed at the time of purchase. If it was an -UP fare expect DL to claim you really bought a coach fare and that they don't own you squat. Maybe they'll offer some token amount of miles.

I would file a complaint with the DOT.
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
The length of the flight isn't a factor here. The OP said that his daughter, due to her disability, needed the wider seat, so he booked F. Why do you feel that length of the flight matters?
Originally Posted by mikeef
Seriously, the OP bought first and had a right to expect it. He also referenced his daughter's disability and told us that she needed a larger seat. In other words, he did everything that we would have told him to do in regard to class of service.
Exactly. He did what he should do to ensure class of service, yet DL failed at that.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
most likely an UP fare which (according to Delta) is a coach fare with an upgrade. You might get an apology, but not likely a refund. Other threads on this already. Beware of UP fares.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Doesn't matter if its an UP or full F. OP paid extra money for, and DL sold it as first class seats but proceeded to sit them in coach.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
Been discussed many times before, it is a coach fare with an upgrade. IF you read the rules, Delta will mention that. It is not a straight first class fare. You can argue all you want, but that is what Delta considers it. Just the messenger here, I don't write the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.