A report on an AF Opup

Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
A report on an AF Opup -- second time this fall

Flying later today on AF CDG-PVG on a AF premium economy ticket. Arrived at CDG at 8 am and got a boarding pass at the transfer desk.
Now in the concourse M AF club tried to see if there was a way to upgrade using Skymiles. (Ticket was booked as A so not upgradeable but now mysteriously coded as W.)
The service agent said, no can't do that except 48 hours out, but then looked at my boarding pass and said "we are oversold on Shanghai", checked and printed out a new boarding pass for business class.
By the way the AF lounge at CDG M is very nice.
Great breakfast spread.
Tom

Last edited by mot29; Dec 30, 2013 at 2:33 pm
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mot29
Flying later today on AF CDG-PVG on a AF premium economy ticket. Arrived at CDG at 8 am and got a boarding pass at the transfer desk.
Now in the concourse M AF club tried to see if there was a way to upgrade using Skymiles. (Ticket was booked as A so not upgradeable but now mysteriously coded as W.)
The service agent said, no can't do that except 48 hours out, but then looked at my boarding pass and said "we are oversold on Shanghai", checked and printed out a new boarding pass for business class.
Great breakfast spread.
Tom
SWEET indeed. ^
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
A report on an AF Opup

Lucky you!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Great breakfast spread.
Congrats on the op-up!

Totally agree re. the breakfast. Even the much smaller 2F lounges have a great breakfast spread: excellent bread and butter, croissants, pains au chocolat, 3 different preserves from Avignon, various packaged cakes/cookies, cereal and yogurt, many juices, and of course the Valrhona chocolate and Fauchon teas they have other times of the day.

I also was given a personal tour of the lounge by the guy at the desk.

(Now waiting for someone to chime in saying that the cottony and tasteless bagels in plastic wrap at the DL SCs are far superior, and/or that this is nothing compared to the dedicated first class lounges of other airlines.)
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Great breakfast spread.
Tom
Yes, AF lounge at CDG is very nice. Unfortunately, it's still located at CDG which is a dump!

Congrats on the opup!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Not sure I'd say CDG is still a dump, at least where they've renovated. I got from a TATL flight to my gate in 2F in under 5 minutes the other day with the Acces 1 lane (totally empty). Signage is much improved as well. 2F is quite nice, both in terms of the gates and the shops, and of course the AF lounge.

For the first time ever I'm considering replacing AMS with CDG as my standard connection airport--not something I ever thought I'd say--or at the very least not feeling I have to avoid any connection under 2 hours.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by ryanm
Not sure I'd say CDG is still a dump, at least where they've renovated. I got from a TATL flight to my gate in 2F in under 5 minutes the other day with the Acces 1 lane (totally empty). Signage is much improved as well. 2F is quite nice, both in terms of the gates and the shops, and of course the AF lounge.

For the first time ever I'm considering replacing AMS with CDG as my standard connection airport--not something I ever thought I'd say--or at the very least not feeling I have to avoid any connection under 2 hours.
The AF operation at CDG is very much improved, unless you have to deal with 2G. And personally, I find the boarding gate situation at AMS for US flights leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Waiting in a coffee shop to meet the guy i'm renting a short term airbnb apartment from and a few comments on the flight. It is the cradle seats on the AF 777 but they are pretty comfortable. Meals in flight were pretty good, i had shrimp with tarragon sauce on red rice. Service is good and what amazes me most, I think about AF is that they keep the toilets clean and neat. And I've noticed this coach as well.
And a bit more about that concourse M lounge. Breakfast included premade omelets, three sausages, canadian bacon, potatoes, vegetables... along with the breads, aapreserves, cbocolates.
And the lunch spread put out about 1030 was as elaborate.
Now to see if the opup shows up as A paid, J flown or j Paid and floqn.
tom
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
And personally, I find the boarding gate situation at AMS for US flights leaves a lot to be desired.
I agree with this.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
Pain chocolat makes a stop in the CDG lounges worthwhile in and of itself.

Always very pleased with AF service, honestly.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:12 am

Location: Minneapolis, MN - At least that's where I receive mail...
Programs: DL (DM), AA (EP), SPG (Ambassador), HHonors (Gold)
I've had that happen several times on KL, mostly on combi planes, but never on AF. Congrats!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Bumping this because lightening seems to have struck twice this fall.
Op-uped again on AF on 12/19 flying CDG-SGN.
This time, checked in at Tarom in Bucharest and got my PE seat boarding pass. Stopped at the kiosk on arrival at CDG to get a new boarding pass with Sky Priority printed to ease the passage through Access 1 and it prints out as 5B.
AF is treating me better than DL on op-ups.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.