What's in a Name - Delta

Old Aug 20, 13, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
What's in a Name - Delta

Least respected brand in the US.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...215932950.html

Nothing else to add....
Old Aug 20, 13, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by Cannonball Run View Post

Nothing else to add....
Oh dear!
Old Aug 20, 13, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
Certainly a stark contrast from the Fortune ranking.
Old Aug 20, 13, 6:34 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I'd like to see where Gordon's gin is ranked...

There are opportunities here to hit almost all of the least respected brands on a single trip; fly Delta, charge the ticket to a Capitol One card, stop at Denny's on the way to the airport and then hit Rite Aid for some last minute purchases while wearing a pair of shoes bought at Foot Locker and something bought at JCP. Smoke a Marlboro outside the terminal and once on the plane, use the tablet you bought at Best Buy.
Old Aug 20, 13, 6:49 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Cannonball Run View Post

Nothing else to add....
That's what happens when you try to redeem SkyMiles for award travel.
Old Aug 20, 13, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Wonder where the other airlines placed on the list.
Old Aug 20, 13, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by elkapong View Post
Certainly a stark contrast from the Fortune ranking.
Great example of the old adage: "There are lies, damn lies and statistics"
Old Aug 20, 13, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
I admit I do my fair share of criticizing Delta's enhancements but I am really struggling to figure out how in the world they could score lower than United. United has had so much bad press over the last year with merger related issues. At least Delta puts in some effort to appear considered. Smisek and company at UA will tell you where to stick your complaints and make no apologies for it. Someone at CoreBrand must really have an ax to grind with Delta.
Old Aug 20, 13, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
I admit I do my fair share of criticizing Delta's enhancements but I am really struggling to figure out how in the world they could score lower than United. United has had so much bad press over the last year with merger related issues. At least Delta puts in some effort to appear considered. Smisek and company at UA will tell you where to stick your complaints and make no apologies for it. Someone at CoreBrand must really have an ax to grind with Delta.
see the post above yours
Old Aug 22, 13, 9:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
In my own experience it's Delta's remarkable ability to lose luggage. United might be awful in other ways but neither it, nor Continental before it, ever lost a bag of mine. And I bet my experience isn't unique. Lost luggage is the single most important negative for an airline, IMO. People don't forget this.
Old Aug 22, 13, 9:30 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by DrMaturin View Post
In my own experience it's Delta's remarkable ability to lose luggage. United might be awful in other ways but neither it, nor Continental before it, ever lost a bag of mine. And I bet my experience isn't unique. Lost luggage is the single most important negative for an airline, IMO. People don't forget this.
I watched a CNN segment on this today; apparently DL is right up there with Phillip Morris - that's a rough neighborhood.
Old Aug 22, 13, 12:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Looked briefly but did not see any specifics on who was surveyed. If he survey is skewed to high income, high travel people, then maybe you get results like this, though still hard to imagine that DL would come off significantly worse than UA in an equal sample of medium-high mileage travelers. Doesn't smell right...
Old Aug 22, 13, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
Looked briefly but did not see any specifics on who was surveyed. If he survey is skewed to high income, high travel people, then maybe you get results like this, though still hard to imagine that DL would come off significantly worse than UA in an equal sample of medium-high mileage travelers. Doesn't smell right...
- It isn't a survey of consumers, but of a "senior business audience".

- Only 100 companies were measured.

- The survey doesn't measure favorability of the product, but on "overall reputation, perception of management, and investment potential". The last one, by itself, should doom any airline to the bottom tier.

- DL didn't actually rank at the bottom in terms of favorability, but was put there due to the gap between brand awareness and perception. In other words, being poorly known, but despised is better than being well known and less despised.
Old Aug 22, 13, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by DrMaturin View Post
Certainly, your experience isn't unique, as lost luggage incidence rates are low enough on all carriers that one should expect to have infrequent and isolated rates of lost luggage.

In general, however, DL acquits itself rather well on the lost baggage front, as evidenced by the DOT data.

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/fil...013AUGATCR.pdf
Old Aug 22, 13, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
I think this survey shows what many of us here on FT think: DL has a great product and great people; however their arrogance with the loyalty program devaluations comes at a cost to their reputation.

Add in the crappy ST partners and nickel-and-diming (SkyKlub booze downgrades) and I can see that DL scored low. But I can't believe UA wasn't worse.

Search this Thread