Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Connect time in AMS -- 50 minutes enough?

Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC

We are connecting KL 602 (LAX-AMS) to KL 1845 (AMS-VIE) on Nov 28. The schedule has changed so we have 50 minutes to clear customs (US citizens) and connect to the next flight. We are in BE/FC.

Is this enough time or should I get a later flight to VIE?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I have done it but hold a European passport. It seems awfully tight to me.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by puddinhead
We are connecting KL 602 (LAX-AMS) to KL 1845 (AMS-VIE) on Nov 28. The schedule has changed so we have 50 minutes to clear customs (US citizens) and connect to the next flight. We are in BE/FC.

Is this enough time or should I get a later flight to VIE?
If all on one ticket, you will be automatically placed on the next VIE flight if your arrival is delayed. 50 minutes is doable, if there are no delays.

If you are travelling on separate tickets, you should book a (much) later flight.

You will not clear customs in Amsterdam - unless you are not checking your luggage all the way through to Vienna and therefore have to reclaim it at AMS, but in this case you have no chance of making your Vienna flight.

You will only undergo an immigration check at AMS while transferring airside. Watch out for the "short connection" line at the border check, if your onward flight appears on the screen, you can skip the main queue.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
I did it not too long ago and had time (to spare) to stop and pick up some of my favorite cheese and ginger cookies at one of the gift stores. As long as your flight comes in on time and you don't have to claim any luggage, you should be good.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

If you'd feel more comfortable and your schedule change is >1hr you can change your VIE-AMS flight as long as they're on one PNE
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If all on one ticket, you will be automatically placed on the next VIE flight if your arrival is delayed. 50 minutes is doable, if there are no delays.

If you are travelling on separate tickets, you should book a (much) later flight.

You will not clear customs in Amsterdam - unless you are not checking your luggage all the way through to Vienna and therefore have to reclaim it at AMS, but in this case you have no chance of making your Vienna flight.

You will only undergo an immigration check at AMS while transferring airside. Watch out for the "short connection" line at the border check, if your onward flight appears on the screen, you can skip the main queue.
Great to know - thanks
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Easily done, especially when entering Schengen. Tight in AMS is 35mins or less. As already alluded to, watch for the short connection line. The real bummer is you won't have time to have a waffle.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I just flew out of AMS yesterday, connecting from DUB. The weather was crappy - in fact, I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that our Aer Lingus pilot tried to land the plane, but couldn't. We eventually did. A 1.10 hr flight turned into 1.5 hr. It was super cloudy and raining.

I didn't go through any customs check until boarding my connecting flight, and a woman that looked exactly like Oprah asked me like 6 questions and then let me through. I think you should be fine with 50 mins, but that's if your flight into AMS isn't delayed.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM
50 minutes is plenty of time. Especially in BE, you'll be off the plane and in the immigration line within 10 minutes. As mentioned above, you will likely be eligible for the special lane in the far left for short connections. Even if not, your BE ticket lets you use the premium line. From there it's 15 minutes tops to your Schengen gate.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Look for the priority/short connections lane to the left of the passport lanes.

Also, after they check/stamp your passport, you'll clear airport security, so be mindful of any liquids you may pick up before this point.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:43 am

Is it doable? Sure. Is it likely? It depends a lot on how far apart your gates are and how fast you walk/run.

You will be going from one end of the airport to the other to make this connection.

You go through American style security in AMS (laptops out, no liquids, etc). When I did this in July they wanted all power cords out as well. That can take time depending on the line.

I had 40 minutes to make a connection to Oslo (scheduled for 70 mins but we were delayed inbound) and only made it because the Oslo plane ended up being 90 mins late.

You don't say if you are checking bags, but you have a much better chance of making that connection than your bags do.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
You will go from non-Schengen to the Schengen area. KLM flights to Vienna most of the time depart from C/D. Total time needed from gate to gate should be around 25 minutes.
Should normally be no problem, your baggage should be labelled through all the way to VIE.

However if your plane is delayed and you can't make your connection you will be automatically placed on the next flight that's iirc departing at 14h25 instead of 9h55.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Flight Aware is a good site for tracking the timeliness of flights. Looking at the recent LAX-AMS flights, they tend to come in +/- 15 minutes of the scheduled arrival. If early, you'll be good, if late, making the 50 min. connection could be very tight.

As it'll be the end of November weather could impact your travel. AMS is normally pretty good in handling winter weather, but anything can happen.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PeteyNice
You go through American style security in AMS (laptops out, no liquids, etc). When I did this in July they wanted all power cords out as well. That can take time depending on the line.
Same bizarre experience with the power cords last week. A security agent tore through my laptop bag for every last wire, ear buds and 3.5 mm audio cable included.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:48 am

Location: Minneapolis, MN - At least that's where I receive mail...
Programs: DL (DM), AA (EP), SPG (Ambassador), HHonors (Gold)
You should make the connection if you hurry. However, if you want to add a day trip to Amsterdam or spend some time in the AMS lounge, the schedule change might give you the ability to make changes without fees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.