Need help on booking award ticket

Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Question Need help on booking award ticket

Basically, ATL-SFO-PSP-ATL

8/15 ATL-SFO DL 2303
8/17 SFO-PSP DL 2111/4474
8/20 PSP-ATL DL 4843/1222

Each segment separately is 40k

Try to book them together as a ticket, it prices out 60K

Shouldn't it be 40k for the ticket?

Called DM desk, two agents kept insisting that I had TWO stop-overs.

45 minutes later, it was going nowhere.

Were they correct?

Is PSP not a 'legal' stop-over?

Note: I took out the SFO-PSP segment, it priced out 40K.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by belle3388
Basically, ATL-SFO-PSP-ATL

8/15 ATL-SFO DL 2303
8/17 SFO-PSP DL 2111/4474
8/20 PSP-ATL DL 4843/1222

Each segment separately is 40k

Try to book them together as a ticket, it prices out 60K

Shouldn't it be 40k for the ticket?

Called DM desk, two agents kept insisting that I had TWO stop-overs.

45 minutes later, it was going nowhere.

Were they correct?

Is PSP not a 'legal' stop-over?

Note: I took out the SFO-PSP segment, it priced out 40K.
Not a legal stopover, as no valid routing that goes from SFO-ATL via PSP.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
That explains it. Now why didn't the agents know that? Instead, they were citing rules that no two stop-overs on award tickets allowed, namely SFO and PSP in this itin; insisting that SFO is one stop-over.

Thanks, mnredfox.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation

Well, thought I'd try to book the other way.

ATL-PSP
PSP-SFO
SFO-ATL

I had to look twice, and twice more when the screen showed 32,500 miles!

So PSP is only stop-over legal when flying from East to West?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If PSP-SFO-ATL is a legal routing for PSP to SFO, think of SFO as the stopover and PSP as the destination. You can take your stopover on either outbound or inbound. However, if any of your connections are over four hours, they will also count as stopovers. Taking the next flight shouldn't count as a stopover even if it's over four hours, but this requires manual intervention.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:00 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If PSP-SFO-ATL is a legal routing for PSP to SFO, think of SFO as the stopover and PSP as the destination. You can take your stopover on either outbound or inbound.
I think you meant ATL where I bolded.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, if any of your connections are over four hours, they will also count as stopovers. Taking the next flight shouldn't count as a stopover even if it's over four hours, but this requires manual intervention.
That is absolutely not my experience at all with DL stopovers. Anything >4 hours regardless of whether it is the "next flight" or not will count as a stopover on a DL domestic award. I use stopovers and open jaws on 99% of my award tickets so I have quite a bit of history on this.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by belle3388
That explains it. Now why didn't the agents know that? Instead, they were citing rules that no two stop-overs on award tickets allowed, namely SFO and PSP in this itin; insisting that SFO is one stop-over.

Thanks, mnredfox.
DL agents are clueless. That's in part why I created the SM Partner thread (see the sticky's). It's in your best interest to know the rules. Then you instruct DL agents how to book the awards you want. Seem backward? It is, but that's the game you play with DL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.