Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes to BusinessElite Mileage Redemption and Award Hold policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to BusinessElite Mileage Redemption and Award Hold policy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:16 am

Bye DL.

With service cuts to CVG, I'm connecting almost everywhere I'm going, so you are no longer quicker than AA/UA/US. Your recent changes have diminished the value I receive as a PM and your awards suck. While operationally you seem to be better than the rest, the pendulum has swung towards AA for me.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Originally Posted by amolkold
This is BS and you know it, Dwayne.

You implemented a 72-hour no cancel rule for the same reason -- that has not affected award availability. Not being able to hold an award is unacceptable. Delta's website is deplorable and can't even book a straight roundtrip sometimes. Your airline has the worst award availability (according to EVERY travel publication). I have to argue with Medallion phone agents to try to convince them that KLM is a partner with Delta when I want to book an award to DEL.

I can semi-live with the inflation in award prices, but that's only because it'll mean I get rid of these stupid miles faster and leave this airline full of snake-oil salesmen.
Ditto 100%, and they aren't providing anything for the customer in return. I'd be fine with these changes (but not the lies) if only there was some give back to the customer, like one way redemptions, but nope, Delta has shown clear disdain for the customer with continued aggressive and dishonest anti-consumer changes.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
DL: Just so I'm clear...now I have to pay more miles on an airline with the worst availability?

Seriously?? I'd accept this increase if they just brought their availability up to the levels of other airlines - but we know that's not going to happen.

looks like it might finally be time to go to AA
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by satz
I am so glad I cleaned my balance last month. But big thumbs down to DL. I really feel bad for everyone else.
+1. 536 miles left for me... Delta Amex cancelled.
Last good thing about this system was holding.
Is it me or 125K to Europe is really a lot? Plus I have never seen
any low business seats other than AF anyway.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Here are the changes we know of from the other thread in which Wiirachay scooped DwayneSkyMiles:

US-EU
low 100k->125k

US-Asia (both north and SE)
low 120k->140k

US-Australia
low 150k->160k

US-South Africa
low 140k->160k

US-South America
low 100k->125k

I see no changes to US-Caribbean/Central America/Mexico so seems to be only routes with 'real' BE.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
+1. 536 miles left for me... Delta Amex cancelled.
Last good thing about this system was holding.
Is it me or 125K to Europe is really a lot? Plus I have never seen
any low business seats other than AF anyway.
It is a lot... especially when you take into consideration that FC seats are blocked on partners. No other US program does that.

I do fear that this will be the type of thing that causes all other programs to "match," and 125k is the new norm for C to EU. Reminds me of the $200 change fee, which pretty quickly got snapped up by multiple carriers after one went ahead with it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by rylan
Here are the changes we know of from the other thread in which Wiirachay scooped DwayneSkyMiles:

US-EU
low 100k->125k

US-Asia (both north and SE)
low 120k->140k

US-Australia
low 150k->160k

US-South Africa
low 140k->160k

US-South America
low 100k->125k

I see no changes to US-Caribbean/Central America/Mexico so seems to be only routes with 'real' BE.
I haven't seen anything about US-North Africa, which is currently 120K. Anyone?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the DoJ has it right with trying to block the AA-US merger. The airlines are already colluding and bending us over. Watch how fast others 'follow' and jack levels up because there is little competition.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:39 am

Skymiles will only come off the books if people see value in redeeming them, but hey, maybe that is the point.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
Oh DL, another "enhancement" which just screws over your most loyal customers. I'm getting off the hamster wheel after this year. I'll stick with collecting Chase UR points. It's been fun Delta, but your "enhancements" have ruined any chance of me remaining loyal. Time to burn my sky pesos ASAP.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Unstable program

I think Delta's loyalty program has crossed the line of stability. I don't know how any reasonable customer can count on being rewarded for their loyalty with so many dribbled out changes in the past 2 years, almost all for the worse.

It looks as if Mr. Robertson (and his bosses) have a master plan but has chosen to slowly roll it out (without giving customers a roadmap) or Mr. Robertson doesn't have command of the program and these changes are being done ad hoc by committee.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by DavidAL
I haven't seen anything about US-North Africa, which is currently 120K. Anyone?
Just did a dummy booking, came in at 140k
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They know exactly what they're doing... constant devaluations that are small to medium in nature. People get upset, and it starts to die down in a couple months just in time for the next announcement, at which time they'll be focused on the new one and forget about the prior ones.

Add it all up and it comes to effectively dismantling the program.

Originally Posted by OLYflyer
Good news is it appears that Delta is going back to providing FULL AF/KL availability starting in June 2014 instead of the BS subset that they have been (i.e. there has been almost nil AF/KL availability while partners such as AS had oodles of it).

Check on SFO-AMS (a route that classic "O" space has been zeroed out on forever - now in June I see availability on DL.dumb that matches the AS website.

Overall if the AF/KL **FULL** availability is back then net-net I think this cost increase is actually a WASH, maybe even a NET positive since AF release soooooo many premium cabin seats on the same flights. Combine that with KL's news 747 flat bed which hasn't even been an option (a product I'd gladly pay +25k r/t to experience).

Unfortunately I'm not seeing a VA increase in availability from June '14 onward or actually this would be a TRUE enhanceement. So overall for TATL this is a positive, for Africa this is a positive. For Asia and Australia this increase is a negative - which is why I say NET-NET its a wash.

I'd much rather have 10 options for TATL J space @ 125k with multiple seats on them - than zero or maybe 1 @100k.

Check DTW-CDG June 17th, Alaska shows AF flight, DL doesn't. I think you're getting ahead of yourself, and giving DL too much credit.

Programs: DL DM 2mm, AA EXP mm, UA SL, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Delta has been making money at a record rate while making these improvements in service. It is not like their service is leapfrogging all the other international carriers. They are really just getting even with them, all things considered. Delta also touts the $1.4 billion spent on T4 at JFK. T4 is nice but $1.4 billion, please! And if they really wanted to make improvements, start with their website, which has been broken forever for award tickets and even gives incorrect info searches for paid tickets occasionally!! This is on top the MQD and same-day-change enhancements. When Delta employees say thank you for your loyalty it is insulting. What they really mean is thank you for forking over your dough and we will do everything in our power to get you to fork over more and more of it while we continue to make "enhancements" to our program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.