Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A319 and A320 fleet to be reconfigured, AVOD for A319s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A319 and A320 fleet to be reconfigured, AVOD for A319s

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
We did not seem to have the Lav door isdue, but the sink compartment closure was not working and that swung open while in the lav. The pax service units are confusing. I accidentally hit the FA call button while turning off the light.

After seeing the new 757, this plane / reconfigure is not do bad in my opinion.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I'm on an AA (US) Airbus right now and the interior, while slightly dated, actually looks much nicer! The PSUs are flush and integrated, one doesn't need an engineering degree from a gran ecole and 20 hours of sim time to learn how to store baggage. Oh, and I'm in coach on AA, not F on DL, so no legroom, snacks, or other accroutaments.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I suppose, on the plus side, Delta is no longer using the triangle-quilted seat covers for First Class. Another plus - it has a variant of the 73X Blue "mood lighting", which is kind of nice.
Aren't the triangle quilted with red accents the new covers? Everything else out there is an older cover. Similar design for the new Comfort+ seats covers.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I just flew one of these updated deathtraps (in F) and was not terribly impressed. The FAs were not happy with it either. The bins in F are weird - I've never seen this type of bin before - you have to put your bag in flat, then tip it up. There's a diagram on the back of the bin. The FA was giving people instructions and she was definitely NOT happy. Apparently, the bins were not designed by engineers, as it's not clear how the last bag would ever fit in the bin, since bags have to be tipped into position for storage. The passenger service unit is intended to look apple-like and modern, with a white, shiny plastic and icons that light up and appear only when needed (such as wi-fi and fasten seat belt). The execution of the design is poor, since you can't readily see the controls for the light or the FA call button. Additionally, the PSU hangs down like some misshapen tumor from the overhead, instead of being neatly integrated in. You end up with these warts down the aisles. The lav updates are ok. It would have been nicer if they'd done a better job with the lav door so that it closed and latched while the aircraft was in-flight. Again, the FAs were aware of the issue and said they'd reported it to maintenance several times. When the aircraft is on the ground, the door closes and latches fine. When the aircraft is at altitude and pressurized, the door is misaligned and doesn't latch. So, of course, in addition to the door not locking, the lights don't come on while you're in there - it's just the dim, "night light" lighting. No temperature control for the water faucet, and it cuts off as soon as you release the tab at the top - no delay at all. I haven't figured out how you're supposed to wash your hands in that situation.

Oh, and just like the Mad Dogs, Delta showed the FAs some love and pulled the rear galleys, so FC gets to enjoy the parade'o'carts.

I suppose, on the plus side, Delta is no longer using the triangle-quilted seat covers for First Class. Another plus - it has a variant of the 73X Blue "mood lighting", which is kind of nice.
I know the bins you are talking about and have seen the diagrams saying to put the bag on the shortest end rather than the flat end. But I think you are taking the diagram too literally. You don't necessarily have to put the bag in flat, then in another step tip it up on the short end. Had it occurred to you that you could just load it straight in on the short edge to begin with in one single step? This gets out of the situation where you say the last bag could never fit in. I think the diagram is just showing you how you are used to stowing the bag, but tells you instead to stow it the other way. It doesn't say "Step 1: Put your bag into the bin flat. Step 2: From the flat position in the bin tip it on its side"

And you are just wrong about the Coach galley situation. There is a galley in the front that is for First Class only. There is a galley in the back to serve Coach. Now granted, the one in the back is now about half the size that it was. But there should not be any Coach carts coming from the First Class galley, and through First Class to serve Coach. If that really happened on your flight then there was just a mess-up.

I think the service unit is cool and unique, but I do agree that the buttons on the service unit are too hard to see.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Oh, and just like the Mad Dogs, Delta showed the FAs some love and pulled the rear galleys, so FC gets to enjoy the parade'o'carts.
I thought there was still a partial galley in the back? Considering that it's peanuts, pretzels, and cookies with some BoB on some flights, it should fit into the partial rear galley.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I just flew one of these updated deathtraps (in F)
"the Airbus A320 family has experienced 0.14 fatal hull-loss accidents for every million takeoffs, and 0.24 total hull-loss accidents for every million takeoffs; this is one of the smallest fatality rates of any family of jets included in the study" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus...#cite_note-145)

Delta's seat map on their website shows that a rear galley has been maintained, albeit a smaller one. My guess is that they removed equipment for full coach hot meal service and replaced it with a small beverage & snack center. Did you happen to check and see if they were using the rear galley? It could have been that they load one set of coach carts into the F galley, perhaps for C+ with snacks, etc and another main cabin cart into the rear.

(http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-a320-32k.html)
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Haven't been in one of the refitted 320s yet, but the diagrams do show an aft galley. That said, I can imagine DL saving money by only wanting one catering truck/one stop, and loading everything up front, esp. for shorter flights where all the F&B for both cabins would probably fit in just the forward galley. Trash removal would be faster if consolidated to one galley as well.

I'm sure the FAs would not prefer this, and please don't read this as me defending it. I'm not. But it could fit beancounter goals.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:00 pm

I wonder if they are maintaing the full aft galley on some planes for VIP use? IIRC, the VIP planes are not a dedicated sub-fleet but are reconfigured on an as needed basis, but I could be wrong. It would seem like there might be a need for more ovens and substantial food service for charter operations.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
On the galley - I could well be wrong. I was only going by what the FAs said (and the cart parade).

Yes, I've been lectured numerous times of the safety and total superiority of anything Airbus makes. I'll freely admit that I'm biased for a few reasons. For example, they pulled manufacturer support for Concorde around the time they launched the whalejet
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM
On the galley - I could well be wrong. I was only going by what the FAs said (and the cart parade).

Yes, I've been lectured numerous times of the safety and total superiority of anything Airbus makes. I'll freely admit that I'm biased for a few reasons. For example, they pulled manufacturer support for Concorde around the time they launched the whalejet
Here is the new galley design similar to what is going on the A319/A320 in back: The jumpseat covers one bathroom door. I think there are only half carts in back and trash.

Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Here is the new galley design similar to what is going on the A319/A320 in back: The jumpseat covers one bathroom door. I think there are only half carts in back and trash.

Are those two units in the center above the carts ovens? If so, interesting that they would choose to maintain them. Perhaps for charters? Or to leave themselves the flexibility to offer hot food in the future?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah I thought they wouldn't have any ovens in the back. Maybe they won't and it'll just be for storage?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah I thought they wouldn't have any ovens in the back. Maybe they won't and it'll just be for storage?
It would also seem like two ovens would not be enough to provide full meal service for the coach cabin. If they are there I can see two possibilities:

1) They want the option to sell a limited amount of hot food as part of a buy on board program (perhaps they could fit a lot of hot sandwiches in there or something).

2) They are there so that if the plane is configured into the VIP configuration (as they do with A319/320 for sports teams) they can provide full galley services for the whole plane (with much less seating than in standard commercial configuration).
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I wonder if they are maintaing the full aft galley on some planes for VIP use? IIRC, the VIP planes are not a dedicated sub-fleet but are reconfigured on an as needed basis, but I could be wrong. It would seem like there might be a need for more ovens and substantial food service for charter operations.
Didn't NBA recently commit to all 757 VIP aircraft going forward?

So the 319 galley issue may no longer factor.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Didn't NBA recently commit to all 757 VIP aircraft going forward?

So the 319 galley issue may no longer factor.
Yes. 10 757-200's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.