Wiki Posts
Search

Updates for San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Updates for San Diego

San Diego International Airport Terminal 2, which currently includes Delta gates and Sky Club, is undergoing a major renovation/expansion. This includes 10 new terminal gates (41 through 50), lots of new retail space, new security check in and baggage claim areas and new high tech “Smart Curb” curb side check in system.

For Delta flyers it looks like the renovation will eventually include several new Delta gates and a brand new Sky Club location. The renovations are still underway, but nearing completion. It appears that most Delta flights are already using mostly brand new gates (42 through 47), all with nice new gate areas and electronic signage (which now include upgrade and stand-by list info), with just a few flights per day at the older Delta gates (38 and 40). The Sky Club was still at its old location near Gate 36 as of last night (7/31), but I’m told that it will be reopening in its new larger location immediately above the new gates before the end of August. The Club staff say that the new Club will be on the order of 1000 sq. ft. larger than the current one, which may not sound like a lot unless you’ve been in the current club, which is among the smallest in the system. It sure will be nice to be able to relax in the Sky Club before a flight and be able to watch the incoming plane pull into your gate and then take just a few steps from the club to the gate. Anyone else hear or see anything else new in SAN?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by PaulLB
San Diego International Airport Terminal 2, which currently includes Delta gates and Sky Club, is undergoing a major renovation/expansion. This includes 10 new terminal gates (41 through 50), lots of new retail space, new security check in and baggage claim areas and new high tech “Smart Curb” curb side check in system.

For Delta flyers it looks like the renovation will eventually include several new Delta gates and a brand new Sky Club location. The renovations are still underway, but nearing completion. It appears that most Delta flights are already using mostly brand new gates (42 through 47), all with nice new gate areas and electronic signage (which now include upgrade and stand-by list info), with just a few flights per day at the older Delta gates (38 and 40). The Sky Club was still at its old location near Gate 36 as of last night (7/31), but I’m told that it will be reopening in its new larger location immediately above the new gates before the end of August. The Club staff say that the new Club will be on the order of 1000 sq. ft. larger than the current one, which may not sound like a lot unless you’ve been in the current club, which is among the smallest in the system. It sure will be nice to be able to relax in the Sky Club before a flight and be able to watch the incoming plane pull into your gate and then take just a few steps from the club to the gate. Anyone else hear or see anything else new in SAN?
I fly out Sat so I will see, but other than that I noticed alot of banners around the convention center and Gaslamp and trolley lines advertising Delta. 2 trolley stations were covered by them
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by InsUW2
I fly out Sat so I will see, but other than that I noticed alot of banners around the convention center and Gaslamp and trolley lines advertising Delta. 2 trolley stations were covered by them
Thanks for the update. If the SAN locals can continue to provide updates, that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bicostal
Thanks for the update. If the SAN locals can continue to provide updates, that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
I'll have another flight out of SAN in a couple weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to report on the new Sky Club location and post up some pics if no one else has beat me to it.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
The SAN website is www.san.org
They have been heavily advertising tours of the new airport for next weekend. Having been through there a few times in the past weeks I have to say it's a remarkable improvement! Can't wait to see the new Sky Club. Delta really benefitted from the new additiion.

http://www.regonline.com/builder/sit...ventID=1260479
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Geogirl1234
The SAN website is www.san.org
They have been heavily advertising tours of the new airport for next weekend. Having been through there a few times in the past weeks I have to say it's a remarkable improvement! Can't wait to see the new Sky Club. Delta really benefitted from the new additiion.

http://www.regonline.com/builder/sit...ventID=1260479
Flying on the 12th. I've seen and experienced the trauma of the changes, looking forward to the completion. Will report back.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
TSA claims PreCheck is coming in August. I'll believe it when I see it.

In the meantime Nikki in the SC is just fabulous for her service. If I'm not upgraded she'll let me know how my chances look as soon as I enter the club.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I sure wish they operated the LAX flights out of T2 and not the old PSA offices....I mean commuter terminal.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Would be nice to have the SC nearby for the LAX flights for sure, but the 1960s era practice of walking out on the tarmac to the plane would be missed. Commuter terminal security is a breeze as well. I've never experienced a queue.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
TSA claims PreCheck is coming in August. I'll believe it when I see it.

In the meantime Nikki in the SC is just fabulous for her service. If I'm not upgraded she'll let me know how my chances look as soon as I enter the club.
I'm hoping that the expanded new club will have a full time bartender (or an open bar). I appreciate that they have a great staff there but I really hate having to go to the front desk every time I want someone to freshen up my drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.