FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Launches LAX to SFO Shuttle (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1490114-delta-launches-lax-sfo-shuttle.html)

DLCorpTeam Aug 1, 2013 10:06 am

Delta Launches LAX to SFO Shuttle

For those of you on the West Coast with frequent travel between LAX and SFO, we’ve got some good news! Today we announced the introduction of our new West Coast shuttle which will begin service on Sept. 3, 2013. Full details can be found in our press release and will be available on delta.com later today, but here are the highlights:

• Operated Compass Airlines using E-175 aircraft with a 76 passenger capacity configured with 12 seats in the First Class cabin, 12 Economy Comfort seats and 52 Economy seats with complimentary upgrades for SkyMiles Medallion members when available
• 14 daily flights in each direction which leave at the top of the hour
• Check-in as close as 30 minutes prior to departure (that’s 15 minutes earlier in LA)
• Dedicated check-in counters exclusively for Shuttle customers
• Gates located near security
• Complimentary newspapers, onboard snacks provided by LYFE Kitchen, beverages in-flight including Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. craft beer, Starbucks coffee and wine from Wente Vineyards in all classes of service (cocktails available for purchase in Economy).

Some of you may have seen the increase in frequencies on this route through the published schedule that’s been available for a while. Today we’re happy to share our plan for the route. Let us know what you think – there will be several people reading your comments.

RSSrsvp Aug 1, 2013 10:09 am

Thanks for the update! ^

Chalky White Aug 1, 2013 10:15 am

I guess this is good news--but can someone explain why "Shuttle" flights get better complimentary food/drink choices than non-shuttle flights?

Deadtail Aug 1, 2013 10:16 am

This is a clear message of Delta's intentions at LAX.

MSPeconomist Aug 1, 2013 10:18 am

It's interesting that these flights are being positioned as somewhat of a luxury domestic service with the papers and F&B for all passengers (somewhat unlike the old NW FastTrack shuttles to ORD, where people with expensive fares received drink coupons and lounge passes, although the gate area buffet was open to all).

Does calling a shuttle mean that there will not be reserved seats? Or does the designation just mean that it's hourly with generous check in deadlines (for LAX)?

MSPeconomist Aug 1, 2013 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Deadtail (Post 21196613)
This is a clear message of Delta's intentions at LAX.

I wonder whether we'll see similar service at SEA.

DBCme Aug 1, 2013 10:21 am

I am no fan of Delta and the Delta SkyPesos program is always the talk and laugh in our office. Having said that... I am SFO-based and:

1. Impressed DL representative is releasing the information here and highlighting these key points.

2. Calling it a "shuttle" is one thing, but truly making it high frequency, check-in as late as 30 minutes before departure and gates near security? Wow.

3. Onboard amenities including snacks and beverages. First class cabin. You just got VX's attention.

Reiterate: Really dislike SkyPesos, really impressed with your announcement today.

14 more daily's to/from SFO and LAX. On top of how many other airline serving this market with high frequencies? Someone's going to get the chopping block

fti Aug 1, 2013 10:50 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 21196618)
Does calling a shuttle mean that there will not be reserved seats? Or does the designation just mean that it's hourly with generous check in deadlines (for LAX)?

Do you really think they will come back and answer questions? I seriously doubt it if past performance is any indication of future results :D

SfoDtwFlr Aug 1, 2013 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Chalky White (Post 21196606)
I guess this is good news--but can someone explain why "Shuttle" flights get better complimentary food/drink choices than non-shuttle flights?

Because they are highly competitive routes where a higher percentage of the customers are business travelers who tend to pay higher fares and constitute an important customer segment for DL's profitability.

HongKonger Aug 1, 2013 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Chalky White (Post 21196606)

Well, that didn't take long. I had the over/under at 3 replies for the first complaint.

Nugget_Oz Aug 1, 2013 11:08 am

It's interesting that these flights are being positioned as somewhat of a luxury domestic service with the papers and F&B for all passengers (somewhat unlike the old NW FastTrack shuttles to ORD, where people with expensive fares received drink coupons and lounge passes, although the gate area buffet was open to all).

I expect given what else is on there it will be the same as DL's east coast shuttles, no reserved seating.

TrojanTraveler Aug 1, 2013 11:10 am

If you click on the press release helpfully provided in the original post, you will see that there is assigned seating.

dw Aug 1, 2013 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz (Post 21196911)
I expect given what else is on there it will be the same as DL's east coast shuttles, no reserved seating.

The PR says assigned seating. Also, the route will be operated by EC equipped aircraft, so you'd need assigned seating to enable the upsell.

itsaboutthejourney Aug 1, 2013 11:18 am

Originally Posted by DBCme (Post 21196639)

Reiterate: Really dislike SkyPesos, really impressed with your announcement today.

That's pretty much the opinion most of us have of the service/product announcements Delta has made the last few years. (Great product, kind of awful loyalty program.)

TheMadBrewer Aug 1, 2013 11:22 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 21196972)
That's pretty much the opinion most of us have of the service/product announcements Delta has made the last few years. (Great product, kind of awful loyalty program.)

If you really have a great product, it does lessen the need for a great loyalty program -- people will use your product because it is so great.