Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Reservation Help - Sub fare class for connections?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reservation Help - Sub fare class for connections?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by lsumegan
You have to do a like comparison...Friday evening demand is going to be very different than Thursday evening demand. DL prices accordingly. As you can see, married segment logic applies to not only specific sets of flights but also specific days.
This is why I brought it to the forum. To see if the agent was blowing smoke at me.

I have seen segment logic spelled out in fare rules. I have called up to get issues like this "fixed" before (..but no dice for me now). I have understood married segment logic (i.e. v fare class open but not available in all markets, connections, or non-stops). But nothing that simply requires a minimum 3 hour connection time during a peak period when either one of my flights is bookable otherwise.

I will just accept it an move on. Thanks for your help everyone.^
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like standard married segment logic to me... the DL system thinks there will be more demand on that flight combination with the shorter connection, so it is selling higher fare buckets. The system will sell you the lower fare on the less desirable longer connection flight. I see this quite often.

There isn't anything that requires a min 3hr connection... its just the DL reservation system logic that thinks it can get more money for the flights you want.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pgh234
This is why I brought it to the forum. To see if the agent was blowing smoke at me.

I have seen segment logic spelled out in fare rules. I have called up to get issues like this "fixed" before (..but no dice for me now). I have understood married segment logic (i.e. v fare class open but not available in all markets, connections, or non-stops). But nothing that simply requires a minimum 3 hour connection time during a peak period when either one of my flights is bookable otherwise.

I will just accept it an move on. Thanks for your help everyone.^
I think the fact that you want the shorter connection time so badly shows why it costs more.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:38 am
Original Poster

I think the fact that you want the shorter connection time so badly shows why it costs more.
I personally don't really care...just gives me more time for a leisurely dinner. I just enjoy the challenge of getting what I want for the cheapest price. It is satisfying and allows me to build knowledge for future use. For example, I appreciate the joy the folks in the trick-it thread get in mileage runs...but I don't have enough time for that.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:47 am

Married segment logic can be frustrating, but if you think about it, it makes sense. Because there is probably a higher business traveler:leisure traveler ratio on Thursday nights, Delta probably assumes that business travelers will be willing to spend a little more of their company's money to get home sooner.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:48 am
Original Poster

, Delta probably assumes that business travelers will be willing to spend a little more of their company's money to get home sooner.
Completely agree with the supply and demand pricing logic...but that is why they typically don't make low fare buckets available on certain high-demand flights or between certain cities at high demand times. In my case, the low fare bucket is available on all flights at all times with connections that allow me to fly on each flight that I desire. Just not together, on this day, in the specific order that I wanted. Sure would be nice if this married segment logic was spelled out somewhere.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by pgh234
Completely agree with the supply and demand pricing logic...but that is why they typically don't make low fare buckets available on certain high-demand flights or between certain cities at high demand times. In my case, the low fare bucket is available on all flights at all times with connections that allow me to fly on each flight that I desire. Just not together, on this day, in the specific order that I wanted. Sure would be nice if this married segment logic was spelled out somewhere.
If it is available as you say, why didn't you book it multi-city?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Multi-city didn't work this time...it normally does (or a call to the agent) and that is why I was asking for help on this failure.

On Thursday Oct 31:
DL1824/DL1797 is only available in U or higher classes.
DL2325/DL1797 is available in V class.
DL1824/DL2277 is available in V class.

Experience tells me I should be able to force them together...but you all disagree. Live and learn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.