Wiki Posts
Search

Problem sleeping in BE due to heat!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold
Problem sleeping in BE due to heat!

I have a problem sleeping on long-haul flights. I've flown to Europe and the mid-east from the US in Delta BusinessElite 5 times now, and had the same problem every time.

I fly BusinessElite mainly so i can sleep (I don't do well without sleep!). But, everytime I've flown, I've not slept more then a few hours due to being very HOT.

At home, I sleep with just underwear and can barely stand to have anything more than a sheet on me. On Delta BE, they give you a heavy comforter. And when the lie-flat seat is extended, your feet are in a closed area with no ventilation. This drives me crazy, as my legs get VERY warm.

I've been contemplating my next trip, wondering what to do. I plan on wearing shorts and a t-shirt, but know that this isn't enough. I've even thought of bringing a small fan and placing it under the seat, but I don't think that even this will help.

Any suggestions??
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Sleeping pill.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:46 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this seems specific to Delta's BE product and cabin temperature/configuration, I'll move this to the Delta forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
I use the comforter as a mattress and use my travel blanket to cover me.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:02 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
How about you Bring your own pillow and blanket?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:14 pm

I don't think this is specific to DL. We recently had a longhaul flight on Air Berlin and hardly got any sleep because it was very warm and stuffy for most of the flight We've noticed this on other flights as well.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold
I prefer not to use sleeping pills - especially when I can only expect 4-5 hours of sleep.

<<I use the comforter as a mattress and use my travel blanket to cover me.>>
bludevil: I like this idea - never thought of using the comforter as a "mattress". I may just buy a cheap twin sheet to bring with me. - what kind of "travel blanket" do you use?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM,
Just Curious.........

Originally Posted by bertsirkin
I have a problem sleeping on long-haul flights. I've flown to Europe and the mid-east from the US in Delta BusinessElite 5 times now, and had the same problem every time.

I fly BusinessElite mainly so i can sleep (I don't do well without sleep!). But, everytime I've flown, I've not slept more then a few hours due to being very HOT.

At home, I sleep with just underwear and can barely stand to have anything more than a sheet on me. On Delta BE, they give you a heavy comforter. And when the lie-flat seat is extended, your feet are in a closed area with no ventilation. This drives me crazy, as my legs get VERY warm.

I've been contemplating my next trip, wondering what to do. I plan on wearing shorts and a t-shirt, but know that this isn't enough. I've even thought of bringing a small fan and placing it under the seat, but I don't think that even this will help.

Any suggestions??
Does Delta have a policy concerning dress in BE? For example, I remember a radio ad several months ago in Atlanta which stated that Delta wants "you to sleep like you do at home", for that matter I think there was a bill board off I-75/85 North right after Turner Field.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I prefer not to use sleeping pills - especially when I can only expect 4-5 hours of sleep.

<<I use the comforter as a mattress and use my travel blanket to cover me.>>
bludevil: I like this idea - never thought of using the comforter as a "mattress". I may just buy a cheap twin sheet to bring with me. - what kind of "travel blanket" do you use?
At travel or outdoor equipment stores (e.g., REI) you can buy very lightweight silk sleep sacks that you could use as a blanket. When not in use they roll into a little bag that would take up much less space than a twin sheet.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
Does Delta have a policy concerning dress in BE? For example, I remember a radio ad several months ago in Atlanta which stated that Delta wants "you to sleep like you do at home", for that matter I think there was a bill board off I-75/85 North right after Turner Field.
I'm pretty sure the police would be waiting for me if I slept like I sleep at home!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
I had the same problem the last time I flew BE. I was in seat 1A, just in case there is any geographic variation in heat distribution throughout the cabin. It was quite uncomfortable - I wanted to be as far away from the duvet as possible.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Try a different airline?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:07 pm

Any suggestions??
Open a window?

Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:11 pm

The FAs like to keep the temp overly warm because they think it will make the pax fall asleep, resulting in less bother.

Did you ask for the temp to be lowered? If so, were the FAs willing?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:16 pm

How about using neither comforter nor blanket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.