Paralyzed Passenger Sues Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:07 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Paralyzed Passenger Sues Delta

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...wl-4689616.php
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...elsewhere.html will move to the appropriate forum.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:33 pm
mdb

Hmm - does not sound good - assuming it is what it is
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:37 pm

I read this story and was so angered by how this man was treated.

Aircraft all have on board wheelchairs. The FAs could have at least done that much. In the old days and outstations, if the proper equipment wasn't available, a catering truck was used.

I'd really like to know not one, but two groups of employees put this man through this humiliating experience.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:40 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Are you sure they have catering trucks at Nantucket?

Originally Posted by NWAFA
I read this story and was so angered by how this man was treated.

Aircraft all have on board wheelchairs. The FAs could have at least done that much. In the old days and outstations, if the proper equipment wasn't available, a catering truck was used.

I'd really like to know not one, but two groups of employees put this man through this humiliating experience.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by NWAFA
Aircraft all have on board wheelchairs.
Incorrect. 50 seat and below aircraft are not required to have on-board aisle chairs. I know for a fact that the E145 and the CRJ200s do not, and looking at the schedule it is all RP E145s.

Who is the ground handler there? I'm sure they are going to be in a load of trouble with Delta over this.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sheryl
Are you sure they have catering trucks at Nantucket?
I don't know. My question is, they haven't had wheel chair passengers at that station before?

Originally Posted by Starblazer
Incorrect. 50 seat and below aircraft are not required to have on-board aisle chairs. I know for a fact that the E145 and the CRJ200s do not, and looking at the schedule it is all RP E145s.

Who is the ground handler there? I'm sure they are going to be in a load of trouble with Delta over this.
I stand corrected. I only ever worked main line aircraft.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
From what it looks like, they don't have jet bridges, which means they should have the wheelchair lifts or ramps... but it's also seasonal service there... so I'm sure they didn't bring one along for the season or the airport "said they had one".
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
One thing that doesn't make sense is that the article states "When he arrived in Nantucket, a flight attendent told him the airline did not have an aisle chair or a lift to get him off the plane to retrieve his wheelchair."

Presumably he got on the plane with an aisle chair and unless they switched flight attendants during flight, the flight attendant that was there when he got on would be the same one that is quoted here. So how did the flight attendant expect him to get off when they saw him get on? They had to know the plane didn't have an aisle chair. Wouldn't it have been a good time to mention it during boarding?

Who knows, maybe they did and maybe the passenger insisted that they would be fine. Until all the facts are out there we won't know but it does seem strange they wouldn't say something when he got on the plane.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
This story is so horrifying that I want to believe it isn't true. Unless there are redeeming facts that were omitted from the story, I hope the passenger is fully compensated in trial.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Does DL even fly to ACK? If he actually connected to Cape Air, he flew on a Cessna 402, which has no aisle and everyone crawls in and out.

Still, they could have offered more help than cardboard and at least provided a chair to get across the tarmac...assuming the one side of the story we just read is factual.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:49 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Something doesn't add up with this. The gentleman was obviously gotten onto the aircraft, which raises the question of why he could not be gotten off. Yes, ACK is a small station, but the requisite equipment should have been there. All in all, this is quite puzzling and I strongly suspect there are some facts missing here.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by us2
Something doesn't add up with this. The gentleman was obviously gotten onto the aircraft, which raises the question of why he could not be gotten off. Yes, ACK is a small station, but the requisite equipment should have been there. All in all, this is quite puzzling and I strongly suspect there are some facts missing here.
+1. My thoughts exactly.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:31 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by tkey75
Does DL even fly to ACK? If he actually connected to Cape Air, he flew on a Cessna 402, which has no aisle and everyone crawls in and out.

Still, they could have offered more help than cardboard and at least provided a chair to get across the tarmac...assuming the one side of the story we just read is factual.
JetBlue also flies there out of both BOS and JFK, not sure who else does though.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by tkey75

Originally Posted by djs
JetBlue also flies there out of both BOS and JFK, not sure who else does though.
Looks like Cape Air, Nantucket Airlines, and Island Airlines fly year round service.

Delta, United, US, and Jet Blue fly seasonal (June-Sept.) service.

http://www.nantucketairport.com/airlines.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.